AKL vs Boardwalk

happymom25

Original Poster
Help me choose! Shorter stay and we’ll be renting points. We haven’t stayed at either resort and they are the same price. Kids would be thrilled with animals and we love the food at AKL. We don’t mind buses. But I absolutely love the look of the remodeled villas at boardwalk. It’s just deciding between the atmosphere and amenities of the two very different places. 🤗

Centauri Space Station

I stayed at both recently and they are both fantastic! Boardwalk offers entertainment on the weekends, lots of food options, shopping, and it’s very close to Epcot with boat and skyliner options and the Y&BC and S&D. AKL is amazing for the animals and has great food as well but its pretty far from the parks and other resorts besides DAK and only has bus transportation.

Marionnette

Help me choose! Shorter stay and we’ll be renting points. We haven’t stayed at either resort and they are the same price. Kids would be thrilled with animals and we love the food at AKL. We don’t mind buses. But I absolutely love the look of the remodeled villas at boardwalk. It’s just deciding between the atmosphere and amenities of the two very different places. 🤗
When are you going? Availability might just make the decision for you.

I love both resorts for different reasons. AKV is so peaceful and watching the animals has a calming effect. BWV has a busier feel but you can't beat it for its proximity to both HS and EPCOT. I don't think you will go wrong with either one but a lot will depend on what you want to get out of your stay.

FWIW, AKV has not replaced their sleeper sofas with the new Murphy bed sofas, which BWV is in the process of doing. If having the new bed setup is a key consideration, then you want BWV.

NelleBelle

I’ll add that for a shorter trip, how
Much time are you going to be spending at the resort? I’d focus is on parks, I’d go with BWV since you will have walking-distance to 2 parks. Unless you’re planning leisurely time spent at AKL, how much are you going to be able to see the animals? I know I’m the past when we’ve stayed at AKL, we’ve been at the resort more and did enjoy the animals. But we’ve also stayed when we’ve really only seen them in the morning while getting ready since we were at the parks all day until late. But both are great resorts. Love the pool at AKL!

Imhere

We put in a request with a 3rd party DVC rental company with BWV as first choice and AKL as second.

We'll be staying at AKL in June. Have stayed in a regular room at Jambo House twice.

happymom25

Original Poster
Thank you for the great feedback. The sleeper sofa/ chair is a bit of a concern. But it will be my boys sleeping on those so they’ll probably be okay. We’re planning a resort/rest day, so the pools and atmosphere are important to us. We’ve decided to request AKL! Now I need to decide if the Savanna view is worth $800 more. We’ll be doing long park days three other days. DH says not worth it. I’m wavering. A giraffe by my balcony is tempting. 🤣

Last edited:

NelsonRD

Whenever there is a question about Animal Kingdom Lodge vs. another hotel, the answer is always Animal Kingdom Lodge. I do not speak in absolutes often, but it is always Animal Kingdom Lodge. It is a truly unique experience, and no other hotel offers a Savanna, and for that reason, it is in a league of its own.

It always amazes me such a unique resort is often overlooked over minor details, that in no way overshadow the Savanna. Other hotels do have some advantages, but nothing beats seeing/hearing a giraffe eating outside of your window.

Splurge for the Savanna view.

happymom25

Original Poster
Whenever there is a question about Animal Kingdom Lodge vs. another hotel, the answer is always Animal Kingdom Lodge. I do not speak in absolutes often, but it is always Animal Kingdom Lodge. It is a truly unique experience, and no other hotel offers a Savanna, and for that reason, it is in a league of its own.

It always amazes me such a unique resort is often overlooked over minor details, that in no way overshadow the Savanna. Other hotels do have some advantages, but nothing beats seeing/hearing a giraffe eating outside of your window.

Splurge for the Savanna view.
Love this perspective! I requested standard and it wasn’t available, so we are going with the Savanna view. We are all excited!

Last edited:

NelsonRD

Love this perspective! I requested standard and it wasn’t available, so we are going with the Savannah view. We are all excited!
Enjoy! You will not regret it. Of all the hotels we have stayed, our girls have always reflected back on the time they stayed at the Animal Kingdom and could not only see, but actually hear the animals.

Chip Chipperson

Love this perspective! I requested standard and it wasn’t available, so we are going with the Savanna view. We are all excited!

The Savannah View is awesome. Since you have a resort/rest day planned, you'll love being able to sit on the balcony and watch the animals. There's nothing else like it and it's definitely worth doing at least once. And I've never found the trip to the parks from there to be unbearable even though it is a little further away from the other 3 parks. A few extra minutes isn't bad in the grand scheme of things.

Club Cooloholic

Have stayed at both. Depends on how much of the parks you plan to do.
Boardwalk Pro: ease to 2 parks
BW is great for walking to both the Studios or Epcot(or take boat or skyline when appropriate).
BW Con: Theme and facilities
But the resort won't wow you. Pool is just ok, it has no zero entry and could be crowded. Slide is good size.
I found the resort layout a little confusing. and trying to get from your room to say the boardwalk level could require getting on the right set of stairs or elevator. I would describe it as compartmentalized. The lack of quick service restaurant was also annoying. Yes you can go to the boardwalk for some of that but those places were small, lacked seating and you compete in the line with everyone else walking by them that isn't staying there.
AKL Pros: Theme, amenities
This is like the opposite of BW, in that it is you will be wowed here. Both Kidani and Jambo are impressive(Jambo more for the grandeur of that lobby). Great restaurants and quick service. Layout is easy to understand, tons to do onsite with programs revolving around the animals and African culture .
Pool at Jambo is maybe biggest at a WDW property, slide is ok. Kidani has a great water slide and play area for smaller kids.
Cons: Transportation
It is a bit of hike sometimes on the bus. The resort is not centrally located like BW. That said if you rent a car and stay at Kidani, it's great. They have covered parking and you won't find an easier way to park and get to many rooms as Kidani save for Old Key West.

Tie: Rooms
Both are pretty great, with an edge to Kidani for size, Jambo is smaller.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom