AKL or Polynesian at Christmas?

aklodge

Ok, Im stuck deciding once again. Here's the dilemma: I can't decide whether or not to go with AKL, Savannah view, or Polynesian Garden view. One factor in my decision is room size, and I know that as far as size goes, the rooms at AKL are a good bit smaller than those at the Poly. Another thing, though, is that I really do like the feel and animals at AKL. So any help is apreciated.:)

Also, do the Hawaii rooms at the Poly look exactly the same as the regular longhouses that have been renovated?

tikiman

Here is my opinion after staying at both more than once. I love the AKL but in my mind does not beat the Polynesian.

For starters the rooms are not slightly bigger at the Polynesian but much bigger. I did measurements of the rooms (for a guide book) and this is how it comes out.

The square footage of the AKL standard size savannah view room I was in measures out to be 339 sq-ft
The original longhouse rooms are 415 sq-ft
The newer construction in 1978 and 1985 rooms are 476 sq-ft (which are about 42% of the rooms on property)

The Polynesian rooms are being completely redesigned and should be done way before Christmas. Both do about the same level of decorating but the Polynesian even changes the music around the resort to Hawaiian Christmas music. You can watch Wishes every night from the beach and you can easily visit the GF to see what is probably the best Christmas Decorations on property. You will save quite a bit of time with the Polynesian transportation. If it is raining you can visit the GF and Contemporary to shop or eat with out ever going out in the rain.

You said you were doing Garden View, not concierge right? Well Hawaii longhouse is concierge only and yes the rooms have been done in Hawaii and look like the other renovated rooms.

We are going in December but if you want concierge you might have to do Lagoon view since the garden view concierge rooms were booked for our dates and even most of the suites are gone. In fact they said there seems to be a mad rush on reservations for December already.

I have a few photos of the Polynesian at Christmas on this page
http://www.tikiman2001.homestead.com/poly12.html

Aloha

Steve

Upvote 0

ryguy

TikiMan You Rock!! By far the Best website for information on the Polynesian Resort. I check-out his website every few weeks for latest information on the resort. When in doubt do what the tikiman says. I will say the AKL has a great lobby at christmas time, the tree is awesome. Do you have Kids? They might like to see the animals. Its pretty neat to see a girafe when you wake up in the morning. Something to think about. Either way both hotels are great!! Good Choices.

Upvote 0

Teenchy

I love both so much but I would also lean towards Poly. I was just there in Jan. and had a wonderful time. The proximity to the Magic Kingdom you just cant beat.

Take advantage of Tikimans's website, there is a ton of info for Poly.

By the way Tikiman thanks for all your info. I used it well in planning my trip in Jan (Part buisness, part fun). We are now DVC members so we dont get to stay at most of the other non-DVC resorts. But the company was picking up the tab and we could pick any resort. And although we always resort hop and had a good feel for Poly, all your details made the trip perfect.

I do have to admit that I do have a special place for Poly in my heart as it was the first place I stayed as a kid in 75'.

By the way if this is your first trip during the Christmas season I highly reccomend the CandleLight Processional dinner package and if you have kids MVMCP. Ok even if you dont have kids! And be sure to resort hop and take in all the details at each resort. Just beautiful.:xmas:

Upvote 0

missnanse

Polynesian at Christmas

Wow Tikiman your site is extraordinary. I have not stayed at the Poly in years and want to stay at Christmastime and your site shows so much. I am not able to walk much and need an ecv or wheelchair and think the Poly is perfect for me. What area do you recommend for me to stay in? Anyone have any advice for me as far as rooms for handicap access? Do they have smoking in Handicap rooms? Does Concierge have handicap access rooms? I need so many answers, I really like to know everyhting before I decide. So anyone who has suggestions please jump right in. Thanks, Nanci:xmas:

Upvote 0

tikiman

The rooms designated accessible are located in Rapa Nui. They are larger rooms and the accessible ones face into the garden areas. They are also on the ground level with a large open patio. There is a small, hardly used parking lot right next to the building and the Transportation and Ticket Center is a short path away for boarding both monorails and accessing the large ferry over to the MK. The accessible rooms are all non-smoking though. There are no smoking handicap accessible rooms at the Polynesian. Also concierge planned on adding some handicap accessible rooms but it was removed from the project when they redid the rooms.

Upvote 0

SweetJulia

tikiman said:
We are going in December but if you want concierge you might have to do Lagoon view since the garden view concierge rooms were booked for our dates and even most of the suites are gone. In fact they said there seems to be a mad rush on reservations for December already.

Is it normal for most of the rooms to be booked already? Does this mean early December isn't going to be a good time to go anymore? I chose that time specifically for low attendance.

Jen :)

Upvote 0

v&adad

I disagree with everyone so far. IMHO, nothing beats AKL. The Poly is closer to MK but that is where it ended for me. The rooms are renovated but the main building has not changed much since my first stay there in 1980. It is loud and obtrusive. AKL is so serene and beautiful. It is a complete escape from a hectic day at the parks. I have never had a problem with transportation at AKL. It does take a little longer than Poly but my children actually love the buses. When my two year sees them he shouts "Disney bus" I think they look at it as another ride. Boma is one of the best restraunts on property (for any meal). I don't know much beyond what I have read about room size but we had three adults ,a child and a 2 yr. old in a savanna view room and it was plenty big enough. As far as Christmas decor, AKL is African themed, so it is different then what most are use to (I don't know if that is a plus or minus for you.) You will want to park hop to see all the decorated resorts anyway so choose the hotel that is most appealing to you. Also, it was really cool to have the Disney florist send stockings to the room! They were signed from Mickey and Santa. If you do stay at AKL don't miss the stories by the fire pit or the discussions off the main lobby and take some time to talk to the cast members. They are always excited and happy to tell people about there homeland and it wa so interesting. My kids are actually penpals with two cast members who have returned to Botswana. Just another view...

Upvote 0

ChuckElias

Even better option

Instead of Poly or AKL, the best place to stay for Christmas is on the Disney Wonder!!! :xmas: Forget the savannah view -- get a Castaway Cay view!!! Forget about transportation to EPCOT -- get transportation to Nassau!!!

The characters are all dressed for Christmas, of course. Mrs. Claus reads stories to the kids. You get cookies delivered to your stateroom to leave for Santa. The tree lighting is fun, and it even snows in the lobby!

Our first cruise on DCL was the 4-night and Christmas was the third day on the ship. It was wonderful.

Sorry to hijack the thread. But I'm too excited. We sail again in 6 days!!!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom