AKL or Poly

vmkaddict

My family is staying at the AKL for the 1st time in September. We've stayed at the Poly many times and love it. I'm just looking for input from anyone who has stayed at both, which is your favorite?:wave:

MHSJAX

We have enjoyed both. I will say that the Monorail pushes the Poly ahead for me. But Boma is one of my favorite meals in all of WDW. And it is cool to wake up with a giraffe in "your" backyard. Enjoy your trip!

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I feel a room view upgrade to Savannah at the AKL is worth it, whereas a view room at the Poly never seems worthwhile.

I really prefer AKL, but Poly is nice.

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

Our entire family would be on the opposite side of mousemerf :lol: and agree with this one:
MHSJAX said:
We have enjoyed both. I will say that the Monorail pushes the Poly ahead for me. But Boma is one of my favorite meals in all of WDW. And it is cool to wake up with a giraffe in "your" backyard. Enjoy your trip!

The animals did NOT make it worth the transportation to us. :lookaroun I am so spoiled by that monorail being a 5 minute walk away. :eek: AKL is a beautiful resort though.

Upvote 0

ryguy

I have a stayed at both and really love each of them. The AKL is very unique and is worth visiting at least once. This will be the closest most people will come to Africa so I think its neat to experience something different. If you have little children they will love waking up to the animals. Make sure you have a savannah view room or its not worth your time. Poly is a more complete resort and I like the bigger rooms. So if I had to choose I would stay at the Polynesian because we spend a lot of time at the hotel. Hope that helps and enjoy your trip!!

Upvote 0

FUNDAD

My best friend and his family have stayed at both....they couldn't make up their minds which one was better....They describe AKL as a really neat African adventure (the kids really enjoyed the animals, and the adults the African motif)....but that the Poly also has it's many Hawaiian virtues (great beach/lagoon, tropical floral setting, extra water sports, etc)....

We arrive at WDW the end of August, and couldn't decide which of the two to do.....So we are staying 4 nights at POLY and 4 nights at AKL....I guess when in doubt, do BOTH!!..

Have a great trip!
Daryl.

BTW, my friend did caution me that while at POLY, he used the Disney Transit...but at the AKL, he preferred a car rental....just his 2 cents....I'll see for myself when I am there...

Upvote 0

Astronaut Jones

Polynesian has better location but Animal Kingdom Lodge just seems so much better and truly is somewhat authentic to its cause rather the Polynesian which feels like little more than a themed American hotel. I also prefer AKL's food.

Upvote 0

T-1MILLION

I enjoyed both. I loved the atmposphere of Animal Kingdom Lodge. It had me in jaw dropping stance the first time I saw the lobby. I really love it. The poly is also great. It had some nice views of the kingdom from ohana as well and I hear ohana is still decent even after the menu change. The monorail made it convineint so if The Magic Kingdom is the majority of your vacation than go for it. AKL has the bus stations which were always on time while I was there.

Hope ya have fun!:wave:

Upvote 0

Dj Corona

It probably feels like 30-45 minutes at the end of the night. I've stayed at AKL one time, the themeing's great, seeing the animals was pretty cool, too, but yeah, for anyone whose stayed at any one of the other resorts, and knows how long of a haul it is to get to AK by bus, imagine doing that your whole trip....yikes!

Upvote 0

vmkaddict

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the input. I had a feeling that the transportation would be the downside of AKL, especially after using the monorail so much at Poly.
Only 42 days:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

brich

EPCOT_Rocks said:
I really feel that these are the two weakest Deluxe Resorts, but I'd have to say the Poly for its convenience.
Interesting.... What are the strongest?

Also interesting is all the complaints about bus trips to the AKL. Where are you on the rental car or Disney transportation threads? :D

Our trip in September we are staying at the AKL AND the Poly for that last few nights. We enjoy them both so we stay at them both... :D

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I think one thing we tend to forget.. some of us enjoy not being near the MK when we're trying to relax. So, the way AKL is out in the middle of nowhere is just perfect.

Upvote 0

sleepybear

We're staying at both. AK for two nights when we plan to tour MGM and Animal Kingdom, and then Poly for four nights when we're doing Epcot and Magic Kingdom.

Upvote 0

Teenchy

NobodyBaby said:
we enjoyed both... since you've stayed at poly before go for the change and stay at AKL

I agree, you said you have stayed at Poly several times so I cant think of a better reason than just that to try something new. get the Savannah view room to make it worthwhile. I love Poly (My first visit in 75' my family stayed there) but everyone should try AKL at least once, its such a unique experience. There is really no other resort like it outside of probably going to Africa.

Upvote 0

shmmrname

We too have this dilemma, but we have ALOT of time to decide. We ate at Boma on our last trip and I fell in love with the AKL. However, I am the only member of our group that has stayed in a Deluxe Resort at WDW, so I don't want to have the rest miss out so I can do something completely new for me. I've stayed at the Contemporary and the Wilderness Lodge, and while I'd do both again for sure, I have to say POLY and AKH have a crazy allure to them.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom