AKL or Boardwalk Inn? Which is better?

lilone

Going to Disney World in June for 6 nights. We have never stayed at a deluxe hotel before, we have always stayed at the moderate resorts. Because of the great summer discounts, we have decided to stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge, it's only $139 a night! But, have always dreamed about staying at the Boardwalk Inn, $239 a night.

Would like some opinion on which resort is better. Is the Boardwalk Inn that much better that it is worth $100 more a night? Are the rooms that much bigger/nicer? Is the lighting in the AKL rooms really as dim as what I've heard? I have a 3 year old and 5 year old going, which one is better for young kids. Need some help, I can't make up my mind! I'm afraid if I don't take advantage of the great price at the Boardwalk Inn now, I will never get the chance to stay there. :hammer:

disneydudette

RELAX!.....

Ok....

AKL-
Great theme...very kid friendly....the rooms are a little dim...but its nothing to bad....
The pool is great...and I'm sure ur whole family would enjoy the resort...
another plus is the fact that u can have bunk beds in your room...that why each kid would have there own bed....
The resort is a good distance away from the 3 other parks....it can be a good 15-20 minute bus ride to MK....

BWI-
Great resort and even better pool....the rooms are ok...a good size...the decor can be hard on the eyes at first...The location is great....close to EPCOT and MGM....with easy access to the BOARDWALK...and Fantasia mini golf...
The resort is great!! and to me...well worth the extra money....
I fell it is more targeted to adults...or adults with teens....the boardwalk can get hectic at night...

But you must think...

With ur kids still young....maybe a closer resort to MK would be better.....
What about the Wolderness Lodge....
or....even the CONTEMP....
***WL-$139 COMTEMP- $164
both have the easiest access to MK....but are close enough to MGM and EPCOT thats its not a problem....

Ok I hope I haven't made ur choice more difficult...

PS
Welcome to the boards!

Upvote 0

matt&helen

I have never stayed at the Boardwalk, but I can give you insight into AKL. The rooms are dim. I actually prefer it like that. Since you have a 3 and a 5 years old, I believe the choice would be AKL. Boardwalk seems to be more adult and teenage oriented. Our two year old loved AKL. Get the savannah room, it is worth the extra money. Our two year old would just stand out on the balcony and stare at the animals. She did not want to go to the parks, go eat, or do anything but watch the animals. But the choice is always yours, and I'm sure someone can give you some more insight into Boardwalk.

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

Jambo! Animal Kingdom Lodge is an incredible Resort--beautiful theming (it is dark for a reason....it is depicting the Dark Continent...) with great ambience music--the lobby is just so impressive-looking, and the pool area, complete with two hot tubs (one HOT and one warm) is great--plus the animals, by far the best part of the Resort: waking up and going to sleep with giraffe is quite magical. Oh, and the gift shop is massive; very nice! Enjoy your adventure! I would love to go to AKL again...

Upvote 0

imagineersrock

AKL no doubt, the younger kids will LOVE the animals as well as the overall experience! so will you its a fantastic hotel!

*my tip for ya; if you do decide to choose AKL, be VERY specific on what you want view-wise while and dont be afraid to ask lots of questions and be on top of things because unfortuantly some things can be rather misleading for example, an example a savanna view in disney terms could mean a view of a big fake rock and a bush with no view of any savanna what so ever.

so to get to my tip; i reccomend you ask for a savanna room facing the MAIN savanna, that way you will practically guranteed a great, unobstructed view.

*another tip is that what floor you're on makes a big difference in this hotel; so try and get the highest available rooms!! (my opinion)

whatever you choose, have a great time!

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

You may want to check into this when you book AKL, but I am nearly certain that the $139 price is for standard view.

Your balcony view would be of the parking lot or a garden, but it would NOT be of the savannah.

There are, however, many viewing areas within the building, so animal viewing is still possible.

I, too, would like to stay at the Boardwalk Inn, "just one time", but $100 per night is a HUGE difference. Just think of what you could do with the extra spending $.

I'd go for AKL. Think about bunk beds--you can get rails if you need them.

Upvote 0

Quintf

Animal Kingdom!!!
The $139 rate has to be parking lot view, but the whole resort is definitely worth it!

Also... Check out Boma, the buffet resturant, spectacular!

Upvote 0

lilone

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses! You have convinced me! Animal Kingdom Lodge it is! I did book a standard view room for $139, should I upgrade? The price difference is about $400 for the 6 nights! Is it worth it? Has anyone stayed in a standard view room?

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

IMHO, there is nothing I want to see that is worth $400.

That said, I am a park commando, and only go to the room to sleep and shower. Maybe someday I'll take a day to "do" the resort.

At AKL, seeing the animals is the major selling point of the resort, but you can do that from several observation areas inside and outside the building.

$400 will buy a lot of sit-down dinners (for when you are sick of burgers), babysitting and a grownups night out, snowglobes (oops--probably not a good idea in a house with young children), t-shirts, coffee mugs, etc etc etc.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom