AKL Kidani Village ehh :(

NelleBelle

And besides...you HAD a savannah-view room. Even if you requested a "sunset" savannah view room, you may not have received it due to availability in that area of the resort. I can see maybe being upset if you wanted a savannah-view room and didn't get one, but complaining about the type of animals seems rather ridiculous. Be glad they were actually out--when we stayed, we had the "magical" zebra and giraffe-view savannah-view room and a lot of times they weren't in view. Only early early morning did it seem they were out where we could see them close to our room.

Raxel7851

DVC resorts typically have less rooms available to move people for reasons already explained. Kid ani is a DVC resort and the floor plan layout adds to the complexity with no non-connecting studios.
Complex or not, it’s incredible what can be rearranged. Just because it’s a DVC resort doesn’t make it impossible.

nickys

Premium Member
Complex or not, it’s incredible what can be rearranged. Just because it’s a DVC resort doesn’t make it impossible.
Room assignments are done centrally, starting at 30 days out for all resorts now. And at DVC resorts there are rarely room changes and upgrades. Different room categories cost different numbers of points and at Kidani all studios are part of a 2-bedroom. It’s the nature of DVC, something which all members know, albeit some only find out after experience. Also if you do get switched after entering the room you are usually also charged the room cleaning fee. Again, a DVC standard procedure just as if you had requested an extra room cleaning.

If you want to be able to switch rooms, I suggest you don’t book at a DVC-only resort. Now I know some people were moved from Jambo regular rooms and wouldn’t have known about that. But even at a regular resort, someone has to stay in the room overlooking the dumpster trucks or out over the roof if the rooms are full either when you check-in or at any point during your stay.

aliceismad

I'm sorry about the lack of consistency among CMs. That is disappointing. I'm surprised that one CM would say that there is luggage service and another would not. I'm also surprised that no CMs asked how they could help when your dad was injured, but I don't know what protocol is. One of the biggest complaints about Kidani is the distance to some rooms.

There's nothing wrong with the Pembe Savanna. The okapi is my favorite. But I know others prefer the large savannah for giraffes. It's a bummer you were disappointed. I have made room requests at WDW (including DVC locations) and have been granted, but they were always made in advance of the stay. I have seen debates about whether there should be multiple booking categories for Pembe vs. Sunset because Pembe is disappointing for so many guests.

What's the situation with rooms and staffing at Kidani? Also what is the protocol for time between guests? I assume they are running on a skeleton staff as far as maid services, etc. Perhaps no one was available to clean a room or perhaps there wasn't a room available because they were, if not occupied, then being held for new occupants.

Last edited:

Lilofan

I'm sorry about the lack of consistency among CMs. That is disappointing. I'm surprised that one CM would say that there is luggage service and another would not. I'm also surprised that no CMs asked how they could help when your dad was injured, but I don't know what protocol is. One of the biggest complaints about Kidani is the distance to some rooms.

There's nothing wrong with the Pembe Savanna. The okapi is my favorite. But I know others prefer the large savannah for giraffes. It's a bummer you were disappointed. I have made room requests at WDW and have been granted, but they were always made in advance of the stay. I have seen debates about whether there should be multiple booking categories for Pembe vs. Sunset because Pembe is disappointing for so many guests. A

What's the situation with rooms and staffing at Kidani? Also what is the protocol for time between guests? I assume they are running on a skeleton staff as far as maid services, etc. Perhaps no one was available to clean a room or perhaps there wasn't a room available because they were, if not occupied, then being held for new occupants.
A number of resorts are still closed. If some of those staff of the closed resorts work at Kidani perhaps they are not too familiar with all things of the resort.

Hcalvert

I was at Kidani in December over Christmas. I requested the highest floor and near the lobby. I got both including halfway from the parking and main elevators. The 5th floor has a stench about it--literally. It has been awhile that I stayed at a solely DVC resort and there is a difference in service. You are right about the front desk staff giving inaccurate information. Ordering from Sanaa and just having to take the elevator down and back up again was a plus. I got the room for $175/night for 9 nights, so I cannot complain too much. I would stay there again only if I get a deal like that again.

NelleBelle

I was at Kidani in December over Christmas. I requested the highest floor and near the lobby. I got both including halfway from the parking and main elevators. The 5th floor has a stench about it--literally. It has been awhile that I stayed at a solely DVC resort and there is a difference in service. You are right about the front desk staff giving inaccurate information. Ordering from Sanaa and just having to take the elevator down and back up again was a plus. I got the room for $175/night for 9 nights, so I cannot complain too much. I would stay there again only if I get a deal like that again.
That's an amazing deal! Especially for Christmas!!!

MickeyLuv'r

OP, sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he is alright. It is a bummer to get injured at WDW.

Over the years...hotel staff is often very good, but we've had a few stays where CM's just weren't up to snuff, and I understand where it might be hard to explain on a forum.

I was also very unhappy once to have significant mystery charges on my room bill. (Several hundred $).

OP, I wouldn't get down on all deluxe hotels or even AKL itself. To be honest though, the one type of hotel we have not stayed at much are the purely DVC ones. AKL Kidani has mostly been a great place to stay in my experience. Not always perfect, but very good. We have now stayed at most WDW hotels. A plus of the values is the convenience of the food courts.

I also find the birthday thing a little odd. I'd never expect any big birthday perks, but it is weird the way the booking CM's ask if you are celebrating, they make a big deal of NOTING it on your reservation- and then often enough NOTHING happens during your stay to acknowledge it. It just feels like a little slimy or something to me. Why pretend to care?

For your dad's sake, you can ask to be near lobby. Sometimes WDW is great on that front, and other times they've also stuck us at the far end of the hall and said they couldn't do anything, but that's not specific to any one hotel.

Personally, I'd cut WDW some pandemic slack right now, but I also have some sympathy for your less than stellar visit. It might be worthwhile to nicely email with your concerns.

Zé_Carioca

OP, sorry to hear about your dad. I hope he is alright. It is a bummer to get injured at WDW.

Over the years...hotel staff is often very good, but we've had a few stays where CM's just weren't up to snuff, and I understand where it might be hard to explain on a forum.

I was also very unhappy once to have significant mystery charges on my room bill. (Several hundred $).

OP, I wouldn't get down on all deluxe hotels or even AKL itself. To be honest though, the one type of hotel we have not stayed at much are the purely DVC ones. AKL Kidani has mostly been a great place to stay in my experience. Not always perfect, but very good. We have now stayed at most WDW hotels. A plus of the values is the convenience of the food courts.

I also find the birthday thing a little odd. I'd never expect any big birthday perks, but it is weird the way the booking CM's ask if you are celebrating, they make a big deal of NOTING it on your reservation- and then often enough NOTHING happens during your stay to acknowledge it. It just feels like a little slimy or something to me. Why pretend to care?

For your dad's sake, you can ask to be near lobby. Sometimes WDW is great on that front, and other times they've also stuck us at the far end of the hall and said they couldn't do anything, but that's not specific to any one hotel.

Personally, I'd cut WDW some pandemic slack right now, but I also have some sympathy for your less than stellar visit. It might be worthwhile to nicely email with your concerns.
To be fair though it is very rare that Disney goes above and beyond for celebrations, it really depends on the CM you interact with, the time/power they have. Asking if they are celebrating anything is a standard at Disney and most of the time you only get a button at check-in or a free dessert/cupcake at restaurants, if available they can upgrade you but that is NOT guaranteed. Especially with resorts, their hands are tied depending on rooms available and as stated in this thread, it is even harder with DVC due to the rooms being so different.

nickys

Premium Member
OP is upset that he was assigned a room in the category he booked, and not a room in a category he did not book.

I, too, get upset when I book Garden View room and am not given a Water View room when I demand one at check-in.
There wasn’t actually a better category. OP wanted a view of a “better” Savannah within the same category.

Funnily enough on our last trip we had a lake view at Bay Lake booked. We got one of those coveted rooms which had a view of Soace Mountain and the Castle off to one side and the shallows of Bay Lake ahead. It was stunning in the misty mornings and we could see the fireworks from our balcony. And yet I was slightly disappointed - because I actually love the view of Bay Lake and being able to see the Electrical Water Pageant in the evenings.

In other words, “better view” is subjective. I love the Pembe Savannah but I can also see why people might prefer the Sunset Savannah which have more animals (both species and numbers). Unfortunately you can’t choose which you get, you can only request it.

Buck Wheelie

There's a saying that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Sometimes you have to be that squeaky wheel.

In all of our trips to WDW we have only had one issue at the resort. They tried to fix it when I first complained but didn't work. I was ignored second and third complaint. Fourth complaint I got the top manager. He not only got the issue fixed but refunded half of our DVC points for that stay. The problem was a massive bee nest on balcony by back door. By the time i got the mgr there were so many bees we couldn't use the balcony or open door.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom