AKL Jambo opinions

Yellow Shoes

Original Poster
I will be at AKL Jambo (regular hotel room) in December. Opinions about rooms--I've looked at touringplans.com, so I know that resource. My question has more to do with whether being far out on the "horns" (horns of the antelope, you know) is preferable to being closer to the lobby, in terms of balcony views, noise, etc. My other companions are in ECVs, so the longer walk to the room won't be a factor.
What was your experience? Was it worth the walk to be farther into the savannah, or not?

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
What view category did you book?

I always book Standard View and then request a partial savannah view. That free "upgrade" trumps any concerns I might have about being far from the lobby, so I take whatever I can get.

If you're already paying for a savannah view, I'd request the third floor and not worry too much about where in the building you are. Don't overcomplicate things with all sorts of room requests, because Disney won't know which one to prioritize.

Yellow Shoes

Original Poster
What view category did you book?

I always book Standard View and then request a partial savannah view. That free "upgrade" trumps any concerns I might have about being far from the lobby, so I take whatever I can get.

If you're already paying for a savannah view, I'd request the third floor and not worry too much about where in the building you are. Don't overcomplicate things with all sorts of room requests, because Disney won't know which one to prioritize.
I have requested 3rd floor (that's lobby level--right?) and we are paying for savannah. I agree--I think people get way too concerned with needing a specific room number that they don't relax and let it happen. I have never been disappointed with "pot luck."

england1

WE stayed there a few years ago stayed in the Kuda Trail standard room as you go right to the end of the corridor about a 5 min walk there was a left turn and our room was on the right hand side, there was a small savanna but in the distance was a building you could hardly see, must of been the food prep area as every morning there were loads of animals right outside the balcony all waiting for breakfast

Hcalvert

I stayed on the fifth floor above the lobby and across the bridge. We booked a standard studio, but received a room that had a view of the animals in the sunset savannah, which is not the main savannah. We saw giraffes, ostriches, the big-horned cattle, and other animals, so we were happy. I personally didn't want to walk down a long hallway to get to my room and that was our reason for asking to me near the lobby. We were there when Jambo reopened in July 2020 and it was a ghost town, so I cannot say much about the noise level. I did stay at Jambo when my youngest son was nearly two-years-old and booked a savannah room. We couldn't get him off the balcony as he was enthralled by the animals.

Club Cooloholic

I have requested 3rd floor (that's lobby level--right?) and we are paying for savannah. I agree--I think people get way too concerned with needing a specific room number that they don't relax and let it happen. I have never been disappointed with "pot luck."
The walks are nice, there is interesting artwork to look at in the hallways on your way. But that said, since you paid for a Savannah view I would ask request on that faced the main savannah,though with the EVCs you want to be on the main floor to avoid elevators on your way back.

Nottamus

We drive in from Northeast, so last night on property we go to bed kinda early to get on the road early.

We’ve been on trips close to lobby and have been woken up by drumming very easy to hear from Lobby. (Very cool by the way, just not as you want to sleep)

last trip we went with pot Luck and we were way out in the horns. Aaaand had loud neighbors.

There’s really no bad place to be there. All rooms are great.
Any long walk at AKL is better than any short walk anywhere else!

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
We’ve been on trips close to lobby and have been woken up by drumming very easy to hear from Lobby. (Very cool by the way, just not as you want to sleep)
I've been in one of those rooms... specifically one that was right above the kitchen exhaust fans from Boma. I was hungry the entire trip.

reptar77

Close to the lobby is loud but honestly it is manageable. We have stayed in every room category and haven't been disappointed yet.

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
We've stayed in AKL Jambo (and sometimes Kadani Village) every year since it opened. Always in a savannah room. I personally don't like the long walk out on the ends, so I always request near the lobby, and they mostly accommodate it for us.

One year we got the very last room on the end of the right side of the hotel. I was very unhappy with the distance, but the hotel was booked full. Then when we got to it, it was inundated with love bugs. And by that I mean hundreds of them in the room flying around, in the bed covers, walks, etc.

When I called down and told them we need to move because of the bugs, they didn't want to and said they are harmless (and I agree) and should be fine. When I said I had to scoop hand full of them out of the the bed sheets, they changed their toon, and after a bit, they found another room for us.

I was later told by a mousekeeping staff that certain rooms have been know to be "loved" by the love bugs, and no matter what they do, they find their way in. And that room was one of them. They told us its usually the more quieter end areas that have the problem.

Now, this was years ago, so the problem may not exist anymore, but they room didn't have a good view at all, it was like a view of the area where the animals could go back to the barns in the back corner off the Zebra Trail.

So, the ends are quieter, but we've never found near the lobby to be loud or disturbing at all, and would recommend as close to the lobby as you can. However, we've always been on a savannah view, so other lobby rooms by Boma and other locations, I'd defer to the others who've been in those rooms.

Either way, its a great place to stay...that's why we bough DVC there as soon as we could! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom