AK Discovery River Boats

Timon

Original Poster
Does anyone know status of the five AK Discovery River Boats since the attraction was closed? Where are the boats currently located? Are they being used for something else? Just wondering.

picture.php

kap91

As far as I know at least one or two are currently still at AK and were (possibly still are) used as boats that take characters onto the lake by Everest for some waving at the people on the shore.

Also, I'm pretty darn sure I saw one on the seven seas lagoon a few weeks ago. If it wasn't one of them then it was definitely a boat with a very similar design.

Timon

Original Poster
Also, I'm pretty darn sure I saw one on the seven seas lagoon a few weeks ago. If it wasn't one of them then it was definitely a boat with a very similar design.

Hmmmm. I wonder what it was being used for? MK to Hotel routes? I always thought they would fit well in the Dixie Landings canals to Downtown Disney. Thanks for the info!

MarkTwain

I was just admiring the brand-new satellite photos of WDW on Google Earth, and it looks like the boats are still at the Animal Kingdom, docked next to their maintenance building backstage. Here's the link to Google Maps so you can see it for yourself.

I'm still hopeful they'll bring it back one day. What they could do is add some docks around the River and reconfigure the system so that they take you from one dock to another, acting as an around-the-park transportation system like the WDW Railroad. Then they can declare the boats as a transportation system and not a ride, like they do with the World Showcase Lagoon boats at Epcot, and nobody can be disappointed by the lack of show-scenes.

Timon

Original Poster
I'm still hopeful they'll bring it back one day. What they could do is add some docks around the River and reconfigure the system so that they take you from one dock to another, acting as an around-the-park transportation system like the WDW Railroad. Then they can declare the boats as a transportation system and not a ride, like they do with the World Showcase Lagoon boats at Epcot, and nobody can be disappointed by the lack of show-scenes.

So true! If they ever expand behind Kali River a loop could be added for transportation from the front to the back of the park maybe even from Convervation Station!

Ziffell

I'm still hopeful they'll bring it back one day.

Me too! One of the coolest things about this ride was at one point along the shoreline there was an AA version of the dinosaur that had escaped from Countdown to Extinction. I loved how random that was, and also how it was a continuation of an attraction storyline outside of the attraction itself. Very cool!!

hiddenMICKEY815

I don't remember the boats well but from what I recall it was hot, sticky, and really really dull....if they were to bring it back I hope they'd spice it up a bit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom