Airtran or Southwest?

kangaand2roos

Original Poster
I am starting to look for airfare for our late Nov/Dec trip the prices for Southwest and Airtran seem pretty much the same. Southwest is slightly more expensive but the airport is 5 minutes from our house so we could just take a cab and save on the parking at the airport. Airtran is at an airport about 25 minutes away, which means we would drive and pay for parking, so for us it really equals out. Both are direct flights, so really it comes down to which is the better carrier and more reliable. Which would you suggest and why?

figmentmom

I am starting to look for airfare for our late Nov/Dec trip the prices for Southwest and Airtran seem pretty much the same. Southwest is slightly more expensive but the airport is 5 minutes from our house so we could just take a cab and save on the parking at the airport. Airtran is at an airport about 25 minutes away, which means we would drive and pay for parking, so for us it really equals out. Both are direct flights, so really it comes down to which is the better carrier and more reliable. Which would you suggest and why?

Southwest. I've never had a bad experience. They're reliable, pleasant to deal with, and every flight I've flown with them has been on time. :wave:

TTATraveler

I have flown both, albeit only once. I would give the edge to Airtran. I have XM radio in my car and listen it to online in the office, so it was a big plus that Airtran has XM radio at each seat. In terms of the planes and legroom, both were 737-700s and neither one was better then the other. The seats were ok on both planes (Southwest is leather). The other plus about Airtran is having assigned seats that you can pick. I am not a huge fan of the open boarding process that Southwest employs. I prefer to not have to check in exactly 24 hours before flight time to the minute to get into the A boarding group. I also prefer to not have to line up in numerical order like I'm back in elementary school to board the plane. Airtran boards by zone numbers, which are determined by your seat location. I would rather sit until my zone or row number was called to board instead of standing around.

In terms of Budget carriers or low cost, JetBlue beats both by a landslide, no questions asked. I don't know if they are an option or not for you.

wdwfan100

I Like Southwest personally. I fly with them fairly frequently and have not had any problems. I can check in on my phone so it is not that bad.

disneydiva72

I think you answered your own question. :lol:
I always fly Southwest.

tigsmom

Watch AirTran, they are canceling flights left & right and pulling out of many markets. While we have never had any problems with AirTran amny people have.

rwdavis2

Based on your location (Virignia) I assume you can fly out of Dulles. If Jet Blue's times for non-stop flights look good, I would fly with them. Bigger seats, directTv, and reserved seating. DO NOT take a Jet Blue connecting flight through JFK. It's a nightmare. Otherwise I would go with Southwest based on all the posts I see about AirTran changing flight times on a regular basis.
Bob

kangaand2roos

Original Poster
Jetblue is not an option for us, it is not a carrier at Williamsburg or Norfolk, so I think I'm going to look for Southwest fares. We have flown Airtran in the past and had no problems but I'm not thrilled to here about all the flight changes recently so I'd rather not risk it. Thanks everyone!

Rob562

Jetblue is not an option for us, it is not a carrier at Williamsburg or Norfolk, so I think I'm going to look for Southwest fares. We have flown Airtran in the past and had no problems but I'm not thrilled to here about all the flight changes recently so I'd rather not risk it. Thanks everyone!

Yeah, my friend is flying out of Washington National (DCA) on AirTran. After booking non-stop flights, they eliminated all non-stops to Orlando out of DCA. So his 9AM non-stop became a 6:30AM connecting through Atlanta. And if he didn't want to lose half a day in the parks and our dinner plans on the arrival day, that was his only option. Otherwise, it would have been a 5PM or later arrival.

It took AirTran weeks to contact him about his flight changes. (And then days after he finally got an email with confirmations of his new flights, they changed the times on THOSE flights... At least they moved them 30 minutes later.

I'm jsut glad to have gotten out from my AirTran booking. My 9:15AM became a 7:15AM. So I cancelled the ticket and booked JetBlue and a more reasonable 8:30AM.

-Rob

kdjf4

Southwest ! I have flown them for the last five years with no problems. Air Tran is beginning to cut flights, more each day. Be aware Jet Blue is also cutting back.

CatsMeow

I would choose Southwest. They seem to be pretty stable as airlines go. And I have heard that AirTran is cutting back service and flights in some areas. That would make me personally leery of choosing them. If you do choose them, book with a credit card. That will make it easier to get reimbursed if something untoward does occur.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom