Airline Fares what gives? with the date?

MotoDisney

Original Poster
All,

I'm trying to book airline tickets for Sat. Dec 1st but the rates are fairly high compared to what I usually pay. I have already booked my tickets for my return flight home on Dec. 12th from BOS to MCO for $99. I consider this a good price and what is usually average for that route, usually $89 one way is what I've gotten before several times.

The trip down is over $200 for southwest and 164-174 for Jetblue. These are obviously the nonstop flights at peak times so I do expect to pay more than the off days or peak times. I can get $99 if I make a stop in JFK or Dulles but it's not like I'm coming cross country. Direct flights from Boston area (all airports) are a dime a dozen or used to be. I did try the day before and after but the fare doens't do much at all either way.

In the end I'll bite the bullet and pay the 164 or so but I wonder if they'll be dropping at all or going up? Can we say stock market? $60 extra for 3 people doesn't break the bank otherwise I wouldn't ge going on vacation! But I hate to put $180 into airline if I don't have to.

What gives with this weekend? Anyone know why the fares are so high? I know it's not peak season...

Thanks for letting me vent. :shrug:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Airline fares are one of those things I don't bother to figure out.

I paid $380 for SJU-MIA-SJU last week.

It's $148 next week.

TiggersGang

My husband & I are flying Nov 24 from BOS to MCO and returning Dec 8, non stop flights with Airtran. We booked our flights in May for 114.00 pp. The total price came to 527.00 with trip insurance. We were booked for a 12:25 pm flight out of Boston and arriving in Orlando at 3:59. Thank God I went on their website last night to find out that our flight had been changed to leaving Boston at 5:15pm, thats about a 4 1/2 hrs difference. We called up and their customer service rep put us on an 8:35 am flight instead with no extra charge. Now we have more time to go to the parks.

Ingrid

If I understood you correctly, and you are flying from BOS - MCO on Dec. 1st, then you should check out travelocity.com I just tried your date of Dec. 1st and they had flights from $108 plus tax, which came to $130 total. If I misunderstood yuo and you are flying the opposite dorection, then the flight prices are the still the same.

ErickainPA

Airtran is $108 as stated above. Looks to be non-stop but arrives around 8:40 in Orlando.

Big difference in the prices could have been the day you were trying to book as well, airfare changes usually every Thursday according to a travel agent friend, that way those buying on the weekend have to pay more money than those that buy earlier in the week. Travel days also play a big role in the fares, Saturdays and Mondays are usually the biggest travel days.

MotoDisney

Original Poster
Thanks for the information. I've checked out airtran and that's a decent rate and especially beats the 164 on jet blue. I don't mind paying to go on vacation but might as well try and save a few bucks here or there if you can. I'm booking it now as I'm not sure a better deal will come along or not?

Ingrid

If you haven't booked it yet, check travelocity.com again. The price has come down to 89 bucks now with US Airways, with tax a total of $118. But, there is a stop. Not sure if the nonstop flight is worth 12 dollars to you per person. There seem to be a lot of different time options, but all the stops are in Charlotte.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom