Airline Baggage Check-in at Hotels Question

aharsh218

Original Poster
Can you still check your bag in at the Disney Hotels for certain airlines? If so, do you still have to call a number before hand to pay the bag fees?

Shere_Khan

Yes I just did the airline check in at Port Orleans Riverside earlier this month.
I called the day before and paid the baggage fees.

When you take your bags to the check in desk on the day of your departure, they will ask you for the confirmation code that you were given when you paid the bag fees.

I did it at POP Century last year as well so I assume all resorts work the same way.

the1nonlysinger

What do you mean by bag fees? Is it, for example, if Airtran charges $20 per checked bag? Or is it an additional fee to have it checked at the hotel?

The reason I'm asking is cause I'm flying JetBlue and our first checked bag is free. If it's free to have it checked in ahead of time, I'd take advantage of it. If it isn't, then I'll lug it with me. Don't want to give the airlines any more money than I have to!

harryk

What do you mean by bag fees? Is it, for example, if Airtran charges $20 per checked bag? Or is it an additional fee to have it checked at the hotel?

The reason I'm asking is cause I'm flying JetBlue and our first checked bag is free. If it's free to have it checked in ahead of time, I'd take advantage of it. If it isn't, then I'll lug it with me. Don't want to give the airlines any more money than I have to!

The resort hotels do not charge for this service. The bag fees are between you and your airline. The resort personnel know what is required and if you have any questions just stop by when you check in at the resort and they will tell you what you need to do and you won't have any surprises. They are aware of all the various airline requirements. The service is very much worth the effort.

CleveRocks

The service is called Resort Airline Check-in. The folks working there are not Disney cast members, but are employees of a subcontractor called BAGS Inc.

As mentioned above, Disney is not charging anything for the service; RAC merely collects the fees that are being charged by your airline.

RAC is exactly like curbside check-in at the airport, except this is in your resort lobby (or just outside of it) rather than at the airport.

RonAnnArbor

This is a good topic so I a glad you raised it.

This is a reminder to anyone who has used DME in the past but NOT since January 2010 --- You can NOT pay for your bags anymore at the airline check-in desk in the resort lobby. You MUST call the phone number they provide for you in advance and pay your baggage fee using a credit card (for those airlines that charge baggage fees).

There is no additional charge to do that -- but the Disney Airline Check-in desks no longer handle any money-related matters. They merely issue your boarding pass and take your bags provided you have paid the baggage fee, otherwise you will be lugging your own bags onto the bus and checking them at the airport.

mrerk

Premium Member

This is a reminder to anyone who has used DME in the past but NOT since January 2010 --- You can NOT pay for your bags anymore at the airline check-in desk in the resort lobby. You MUST call the phone number they provide for you in advance and pay your baggage fee using a credit card (for those airlines that charge baggage fees).

There is no additional charge to do that -- but the Disney Airline Check-in desks no longer handle any money-related matters. They merely issue your boarding pass and take your bags provided you have paid the baggage fee, otherwise you will be lugging your own bags onto the bus and checking them at the airport.

They do still accept tips. :D

RonAnnArbor

Before you get everyone here worked up about that....

You tip the person who handles your bag, not the person who checks your bag in, unless they are the same. You tip for physical labor, not for desk-work. Similarly, if there is only one person at the checkin counter, and she says "just put your bag on that rack" you also do not tip. On the other hand, if she takes your two 50-pound bags and lugs them onto the rack for you, yes, you should tip.

CleveRocks

Before you get everyone here worked up about that....

You tip the person who handles your bag, not the person who checks your bag in, unless they are the same. You tip for physical labor, not for desk-work. Similarly, if there is only one person at the checkin counter, and she says "just put your bag on that rack" you also do not tip. On the other hand, if she takes your two 50-pound bags and lugs them onto the rack for you, yes, you should tip.
Just a matter of personal preference, I guess. When I use curbside check-in at airports, I always tip. I'm carrying the bag from the car or shuttle to the podium, and I'll often toss it onto the scale, too. But then the skycap has to handle it from there (it's not going to magically get inside the airport). I figure the same holds true at RAC. Especially if there is only one person at the desk, THAT person is going to be handling my bag at some point.

Plowboy

Long time reader, first time poster.

We just returned 2 wks ago from a 5 night stay at Pop Century. Not to confuse matters, however, we paid our checked bag fee at the baggage stand outside the front door with a credit card the morning of our departure. I purposely asked the day before we checked out if we had to call the 800 # as in years past (and have to hold on the line forever to get a live person) and was told by bell staff that we could do it via cc the morning of departure. I don't know if this service is unique to Pop (kinda doubt it), but you may wish to contact your resort ahead of time and inquire.

RonAnnArbor

Yes, I just had that experience, and in fact I double-checked with the call in number...

They absolutely have gone back to allowing you to pay for your bag at check-in in the hotel lobby. They will not tell you that, and even have added an additional TWO notices in each room (one in your packet, one next to the phone) with the phone number "you must call at least 24 hours before your flight to pay for your bag/s"

WELL --

Here's the scoop. First, you don't have to call 24 hours in advance - you can do it ANYTIME they are open before your flight check in.

Second, you do NOT have to call the number at all --just pay in the lobby like years past.

Some updated information as well:

If you check-in yourself online through the internet with your iPhone, iPad, or laptop, then you CAN NOT check your bags in the Hotel Lobby and will have to check them yourself at the airport. It's all all-or-nothing deal.

That means, if you prefer to get a Delta eBoarding pass sent to your iPhone instead of having a printed boarding pass, then you can not check your bags at the hotel.

Sounds like the BAGS program has had to make some adjustments, and who knows if it will be around six months from now as news leaks out that you don't have to call ahead to use them.

CleveRocks

Sounds like the BAGS program has had to make some adjustments, and who knows if it will be around six months from now as news leaks out that you don't have to call ahead to use them.
Any changes in how airline baggage fees are paid will have NOTHING to do with the status of Resort Airline Check-in. RAC was around for several years before airlines started charging checked baggage fees. The whole bag fee thing is a huge pain in the neck for BAGS. They aren't making any profit on it, they're just collecting the airlines' fees, exactly the same as when stores charge you sales tax, they aren't profiting from it, they're just collecting it for the state.

Plowboy

Interestingly enough, our checked bag fee at Pop was less than that charged by the airline. We paid $24 at Pop for checking my wife's bag, yet when we pay at the airport United charges us $25 to check her bag. Maybe they're making it up in volume.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom