Airfare

SHOBRO856

I was just wondering if anyone knows a relatively good time to make flight reservations for a September trip. I've been pricing them and they're running about $181 pp. All the deals that are out are for reservations that are prior to Sept. Do you think I'll be able to find a better deal if I wait till about July to book or would that be to late. I need 3 tickets for Sept. 17-26.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
i have always been under the impression that the sooner you book them, the cheaper they are, unless you are getting one of those last minute deals that only the lucky or crazy ones wait for.

but, not sure.

Upvote 0

LeahsDad

Best times to buy tickets and which days to travel

I have found a great article on when to buy and when to go. But the short version is like this.

Buy your tickets on Wednesday. Early morning if possible. This is when the airlines will post their lowest fares. When you travel, think about leaving on a Tues-Wed-Thurs. and coming back on one of those days. I have acutually notice sometimes a $100 difference if you buy on Wed instead of Fri. As you may have guessed, Fri-Sat. Sun are the worst days to buy and travel.

Hope this helps.

Leah's Dad

Upvote 0

Mickifan17

I think the rate of $181pp is pretty good. But, in my opinion, you should book soon. With the gas prices the way they are, I'm sure the airlines will start jacking up prices and blame the high fuel costs. I just got my tickets for my October trip and paid about $200pp from NY to Orlando, so grab them while you can.

Only 15 more days until WDW :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

swimmom

$181 sounds like a pretty good price to me, although I don't know where you are traveling from. I would probably book soon for a September trip.

I just heard on the radio on my way back to work from lunch that airlines are talking of increasing fares due to the gas prices.

Upvote 0

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
id take it as well, last time i flew down it was about $229 from bham. thats 50 extra bones to spend in the parks. good for me, good for disney.

everybody wins. well, maybe not the airline.

Upvote 0

humphrybear

If you live near an airport that Southwest Airlines flys out of, definitely check them out. I am flying from Providence to Orlando next month and received an incredible fare of $115 pp round trip non stop. It was also booked on a Wednesday so I tend to agree that purchasing on a Wednesday is a great idea.

This is our first time going in the spring/summer. We usually visit in September thru November. We purchase our tickets at the very latest June or 3 months before hand.

Good luck and have a great trip!:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

cloudboy

It's a gamble. Right now there is a fare war going on, in part because US Air is struggling and Delta is having a few problems. So if US has further problems, they may decide to drop fares in desperation, which will likely cause other airlines to do the same.

On the other hand, fuel costs are going higher, and that drives up the fares sometimes. Keep in mind that Delta is struggling for profits too, so they may instigate a fare war at a later time.

Basically, you have to decide whether the price you are getting for september travel is low enough right now, or whether you will chance waiting until later and risk the fare going up.

They say fuel prices will continue to climb until August. There are signs that travel is growing somewhat, too, so I doubt that the fares are going to get much lower than where they are now, so I might not gamble on lower prices becoming available later on. You didn't say where you were flying from, but from BOS to MCO (Orlando) it is running about $130 and normally it runs in the $200 range.

Upvote 0

SHOBRO856

Original Poster
Hmmm, well it looks like I better not chance it and purchase those tickets now, by the way I'm flying out of Philadelphia, or I have the option of flying from Atlantic City on Spirit since I live in NJ. Also, does anyone know if the airfares charge a different rate for a child (3 years old) or do they charge them the regular adult rate, it seems that way when I compare prices online or do you have to call to get it.

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

We have flown Spirit a number of times and never had a problem. Most of the time they are non stop (out of Detroit) and have good prices. Almost always on time, never a luggage problem. They don't over book and you can pick our seats out on line. It is our airline of 1st choice. Spirt often lowers their prices on the weekeneds (Friday mornings) and have specail fares on line sometimes. Sometimes with Spirit the prices do go down if you wait a few months later (don't wait until later then 2 months.) but you are taking a gamle. One year we booked 3 tickets, then the prices whent down. Hubby called about this and they gave us vochures for the price difference (30$ x3) that can be put towards new ticket bought in the next year. We flew again in 6 months and that 90$ saved us some.

I will never fly southwest again. They over book as a policy, causing a number of problems and have some strange "rules or polices" that other airlines don't. (wach Airline on A&E Sunday and Monday nights at 10:00 pm.)

3 year olds have the same price for tickets as any person (ages 2 and up really.) Under 2 if free, but you have to hold the child. (they will sit you next to an empty seat if there is one.) Many airlines will alllow you to buy children under 2 a ticket for half off.

Upvote 0

swimmom

I have to agree about Southwest. The last episode of Airline I watched they over booked a flight to Ft. Lauderdale by 50 something people and lots of them were going on cruises. What a way to start off a vacation!!!

Upvote 0

cloudboy

Philly? Hmm... That is USAir's hub, and their big thing right now is that they are fighting Southwest's move into the city. So that is why that is a battleground. There is a chance there that their fares will stay pretty low, so you may be able to hold out for a little while. depends upon how much of a risk-taker you are.

Personally, I would avoid southwest. I have not done Spirit but I heard they are not too bad. But I would also check Delta's web fares - they may be pretty comparable, and they are usually a tad more lenient.

Upvote 0

Erika

Originally posted by jmaxwell007
i have always been under the impression that the sooner you book them, the cheaper they are, unless you are getting one of those last minute deals that only the lucky or crazy ones wait for.

but, not sure.

Sometimes that is true and sometimes it is not. My aunt used to own a travel agency and she would usually have me hold off until maybe 4-6 weeks before. But if you wait TOO long, you are right- the price is usually higher.

Good points being made about the gas prices. I would guess we won't be seeing a lot of crazy-low fares anywhere in the near future.

Upvote 0

jriddle

Check Southwest.com daily. We had purchased our air fare back in March for our June trip. I checked yesterday, & the price had decreased by almost half. We went to the airport, rebooked our reservations, & they gave us vouchers for the difference. Will use the vouchers for our December trip!!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Irene

Hi I think 181 is a great fare for leaving out of Philly I'm leaving out of Philly in July my tickets cost me for 3 $697, soat the price you were quoted was good and for childrens fare that all depends on the airline.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom