Air Tran Lowers Fares

thrupaytonseyes

You can call Airtran and adjust your rate to the lower rate. I believe they charge you a small fee for using their phone service as opposed to the website, but you need to use the phone service in order to change it. You get the difference as a credit that can be used within a year.

Upvote 0

WDWNooby

Original Poster
You can call Airtran and adjust your rate to the lower rate. I believe they charge you a small fee for using their phone service as opposed to the website, but you need to use the phone service in order to change it. You get the difference as a credit that can be used within a year.

Seriously? I can have the rate adjusted? I presumed since my air fare was non-refundable, that meant I couldn't change it. I assume you mean that credit would need to be used to purchase air fare with Air Tran for another trip within that year's time?

Upvote 0

WDWNooby

Original Poster
I just ran the numbers and with the $75.00 change fee, it doesn't appear to be worth it :( My original fare was $266 and the fare now is $178 but with the $75 fee (making the fare $253) it only saves me about $13...not sure it's worth the effort :shrug:

Upvote 0

thrupaytonseyes

They don't charge you the $75 change fee, just like I think $10 fee. Yes, you need to use the credit for another flight on Airtran but if anyone else you know is traveling and using Airtran they can use your credit. And the flight only needs to be booked by the expiration date of the credit. I have done this numerous times with Airtran and Jetblue. And Jetblue doesn't charge you any fees to do so. Absolutely worth the call! Good luck!

Upvote 0

disney4life2008

They don't charge you the $75 change fee, just like I think $10 fee. Yes, you need to use the credit for another flight on Airtran but if anyone else you know is traveling and using Airtran they can use your credit. And the flight only needs to be booked by the expiration date of the credit. I have done this numerous times with Airtran and Jetblue. And Jetblue doesn't charge you any fees to do so. Absolutely worth the call! Good luck!

Explain because I am getting charged the $75 fee.

Upvote 0

swimmom

I actually got the same airfare from Chicago to Orlando in May for the same price more than a week ago on American. I can't remember the last time I got airfare so cheap to Orlando!!!! Is air travel to Orlando way down???

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

Well, departing from Houston I'm not even seeing Orlando or MCO as destinations on the drop down list. That's weird.:shrug:

Oops. Wrong Houston airport. Confusing when there's 2 big airports for 1 city. LOL!

Upvote 0

Loretta

Since we just booked for our flight to Orlando this past Friday, I thought I'd give them a call. I was just told by Correne that we'd have to pay the $75. :shrug:Maybe I'll call again later and see if I get a different answer. I doubt it though. Once they have you're money, you're stuck.

Upvote 0

hokielutz

Air tran rates in May from DC to Orlando are showing up at about $170 with all the fees.

But here is the killer... two of their non-stop itineraries are showing up at $159!!!

That's total round trip cost between Washington DC (Dulles or Regan) and Orlando.

Upvote 0

hokielutz

Since we just booked for our flight to Orlando this past Friday, I thought I'd give them a call. I was just told by Correne that we'd have to pay the $75. :shrug:Maybe I'll call again later and see if I get a different answer. I doubt it though. Once they have you're money, you're stuck.

afraid you won't get another answer... unless you paid a Flexible Business price category, the $75 will be pretty firm if you want to change your flight reservations.

Upvote 0

thrupaytonseyes

That really stinks that it seems that they have changed their policy then. I have always boked using the lowest fare possible and that is the unrefundable rate one. My mother too. And we always stalk the rates for our flights in hopes they go down in price. We call them the second we see that they price is lower and have them adjust our price. Sometimes they don't charge anything but usually charge I think a $10 fee for not using the internet to do everything. The last time I did this I guess was July and the last time she did it was in the fall sometime.

I hope Jetblue doesn't change the policy as well. I got about $300 in credits and my MIL got about the same in Dec. My coworker saved about $100 shortly after us. And they don't charge any fees to price adjust. and i much rather Jetblue with their personal tvs anyway :animwink:

Upvote 0

kimmychad

afraid you won't get another answer... unless you paid a Flexible Business price category, the $75 will be pretty firm if you want to change your flight reservations.

we must have gotten a sympathetic soul from customer service last year. when I booked my flight information I screwed up and switched the return and departure dates, but no one would let me switch without the change fee, except for one very nice lady, i really appreciate it, she saved me about $300 in fees.

Upvote 0

hokielutz

we must have gotten a sympathetic soul from customer service last year. when I booked my flight information I screwed up and switched the return and departure dates, but no one would let me switch without the change fee, except for one very nice lady, i really appreciate it, she saved me about $300 in fees.

Maybe there are some sympathetic souls out there that can over-ride these charges, or not add them to the transaction they are performing.

Perhaps with all these fees being charged, complete de-regulation of the airlines, wasn't that great of an idea. Now a days, it seems like if you sneeze wrong, the airline hits you with a $15 fee.

Upvote 0

kimmychad

Maybe there are some sympathetic souls out there that can over-ride these charges, or not add them to the transaction they are performing.

Perhaps with all these fees being charged, complete de-regulation of the airlines, wasn't that great of an idea. Now a days, it seems like if you sneeze wrong, the airline hits you with a $15 fee.

I completely agree about the fees, i was trying to save a couple bucks last year when i booked with air tran. but with the checked baggage fees and the sit next to my wife fee, i ended up paying more.

i wanted to wait and book with southwest, but the wife was worried about the prices, so she pressured me into booking with airtran. never again

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom