Air Exchanges Concerns

ZoneOfTheEnder

Original Poster

We have been staying at the Boardwalk Villas for many years and have come across quite a few rooms where there was very poor air recirculation. This has us concerned about returning to our DVC home resort.

Has anyone else have negative experiences with musty rooms and poor air conditioning?

Kamikaze

From your article:

The most significant REHVA recommendations is “no use of recirculation” in any building with a mechanical ventilation system. “Virus particles in return ducts can also re-enter a building when centralized air handling units are equipped with recirculation sectors.” It is recommended to avoid recirculation of air during COVID-19 episodes by closing the recirculation dampers (via the Building Management System or manually). Sometimes air handling units and recirculation sections are equipped with return air filters, but most of these filters, even HEPA filters may not filter out virus size particles effectively. Ultraviolet light can be used to disinfect indoor spaces and could be installed to destroy viruses, but has not yet been proven effective against COVD-19.

Meaning that its actually GOOD if you had a crappy AC according to the recommendations.

Also, the ACs in your room are not shared, so you're only recirculating the outdoor air (nearly zero risk) and your own air, which obviously is not of any risk to you.

cmwade77

Isn’t that only true in the moderates where you have your own ac unit, don’t the deluxe resorts have a system that covers the whole resort?
Nope, each room has their own A/C unit (depending on the size and configuration, some may have two units), I know this for a fact at:
  • Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House (Both regular and DVC rooms) and Kidani Village
  • Boardwalk Villas
  • Grand Californian (DVC rooms, never stayed in regular rooms)
  • Old Key West
  • Saratoga Springs
  • POP Century
  • All Star Resorts
  • Art of Animation
  • Coronado Springs
  • Riviera (saw them on someone doing a room tour)
  • Contemporary (DVC Tower rooms)
  • Swan and Dolphin
As someone who does the drafting and design of HVAC systems, I would imagine that this applies to all rooms in Florida, it is the better design choice, especially given the heat and humidity there.

Now various common areas on the other hand may share A/C units.

cmwade77

For a second I thought you had some weird obsession with AC, as soon as you check in to a hotel you clarify what the system is in the room 😂. Thanks for that 👍
Well, I guess I kind of do, not intentionally though, just due to the nature of what I do, I pay attention.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom