Aida Closing

DopeyJas2004

Original Poster
Tuesday, August 24, 2004 at 8 pm will be my last viewing of AIDA on broadway before it CLOSES on September 5th! :cry: If anyone is in the area I suggest trying to see it. It was my favorite show ever ! :cry: Does anyone have any thoughts about AIDA? it's closure? or what may be coming in it's place (On the record? or Mary Poppins?)

To one of the best broadway shows I ever seen!! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

imagineer99

I would assume it will be Poppins (because La Cage De Falle is taking up a different theater, as is Little Women."

I'm sure Nicholas will prance in here and give us the true scoop.

Aida was always my least favorite of the Disney Musicals. It wasn't bad, but it also wasn't great. It had a good run. No shame in that.

DopeyJas2004

Original Poster
The first time I saw it (apr 01) I wasn't too impressed but then I fell in love with it's meaning (true love against all odds) and when I saw it again with Toni Braxton (july 03) I had a whole new perspective on it and the sets and the choreography are beautiful. I can't wait for On the Record and Mary Poppins and I hope both are coming to broadway eventually. But AIDA will always be a special show for me. My girlfriend and I even sang Elaborate Lives at our talent show senior year (2002) and came in second. I'll be here patiently waiting for a revival. :lol:

barnum42

imagineer99 said:
I would assume it will be Poppins
Poppins gets it's world premiere next month at the Bristol Hippodrome in England. And as I live in Bristol, that is quite convenient :D

Though I will be at Disney World when it opens I have my ticket to see it the week I get back.

artvandelay

The Palace is getting 'All Shook Up', which is a musical using Elvis music. It's scheduled to open in Spring '05. 'Mary Poppins', I think, isn't due in NYC until 2006. Disney's first choice would be the Palace Theatre, if it's available. What could happen is 'Beauty' would close at the Lunt, and 'Poppins' would move right in.

I'm happy for the Sherman Brothers. They've never had a show open on Broadway, and in two years they might have two (Chitty, Chitty, Bang Bang and Poppins).

barnum42

imagineer99 said:
^ Thanks for the info.:)

Barnum, I'm curious on how you like Poppins. Frankly, I can't decide wether I'm interested or not.
Fortunately, even with the prices being about 50% more than most shows to visit the Hippodrome, theatre tickets in the UK are one of the few things that cost much less than in America. My ticket is £16, so I'm willing to give it a try. As a comparison of Poppins costing more than other shows, Starlight Express is coming in January and the same seat to that will cost me £10.

Part of the price hike may be because the theatre has been dark for some weeks now whilst they get the kit in and rehearse.The premiere is still about another three weeks away.

imagineer99

Interesting. When you consider the GI-NORMOUS ticket prices for Broadway shows, it makes you wish you were on the other side of the pond;)

barnum42

imagineer99 said:
Interesting. When you consider the GI-NORMOUS ticket prices for Broadway shows, it makes you wish you were on the other side of the pond;)
I was shocked at the price of tickets to big tours in Boston MA. I recal on one visit Guys & Dolls was playing. The only availably ticket was at the back of the gods, behind a pillar and cost almost as much as a good stalls seat in London. Consequentally I've yet to go to a big show in America.

GoofyFan1

I didn't get to see Aida, when I was in NYC back in late March, but I did get to see Mamma Mia. I was there for a teacher conference and they bought us tickets. Even at group rates the tickets were around $100.00. I highly recommend this show. I know it sounds weird, based on ABBA music, but it was really well done. :sohappy:

artvandelay

barnum42 said:
I was shocked at the price of tickets to big tours in Boston MA. I recal on one visit Guys & Dolls was playing. The only availably ticket was at the back of the gods, behind a pillar and cost almost as much as a good stalls seat in London. Consequentally I've yet to go to a big show in America.

Barnum, are the theatres in England subsidised by the government?

barnum42

artvandelay said:
Barnum, are the theatres in England subsidised by the government?
The odd one gets some subsidy, but most are on their own. The Hippodrome gets no subsidy. The Bristol Old Vic (I think) gets some.

Some may be able to get donations from the National Lottery. There is a small 100 seater theatre in Bath (The Rondo) that was able to make improvements using this cash.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom