Aft rooms

drwadadli

I'm still upset that I lost Dream 8188 for our cruise next year when I changed the dates to coincide with my inlaws trip :( They ended up changing plans so I moved our cruise back to our original date. After much stalking of their website, I was able to snag 10166 but I still want 8188 :) I'm hoping the person who has it will cancel closer to the PIF date lol.
Not to sound dumb but so that maybe I understand better....

What is the big difference between 10166 and 8188? 10166 is located exactly two decks above 8188. 10166 has an exact 6 - 12 inches of balcony. I am looking at a Disney cruise and was looking at aft rooms and noticed that 8188 and 10166 were still available so I am trying to understand the major difference between the two.

Thank you

21stamps

What is the big difference between 10166 and 8188? 10166 is located exactly two decks above 8188. 10166 has an exact 6 - 12 inches of balcony. I am looking at a Disney cruise and was looking at aft rooms and noticed that 8188 and 10166 were still available so I am trying to understand the major difference between the two.

Thank you

I can’t speak for Disney, but I know on other ships an aft cabin balcony size can vary greatly by deck, even vary on the same deck.
I typically prefer to stay on a high deck, but I sacrificed that for a lower deck, larger balcony last year.. booked our next cruise doing the same. Our balcony was 236ft.. worth it to be on deck 9 instead of 15- which had a 70ft balcony.

drwadadli

I can’t speak for Disney, but I know on other ships an aft cabin balcony size can vary greatly by deck, even vary on the same deck.
I typically prefer to stay on a high deck, but I sacrificed that for a lower deck, larger balcony last year.. booked our next cruise doing the same. Our balcony was 236ft.. worth it to be on deck 9 instead of 15- which had a 70ft balcony.
Thank you but I was trying to ask specifically about Disney ships and why 8188 was "better" than say 10166.

21stamps

Thank you but I was trying to ask specifically about Disney ships and why 8188 was "better" than say 10166.
Sorry, that’s what I was trying to explain.. I’m assuming the balcony size. A ship is not like a building where the back is straight up.
Disney is a bit strange with their pricing and categories.. the aft descriptions say that they can have an obstruction, so they’re actually cheaper than a midship 5A.. so odd.. the description swayed me to book a 5A deck 10 on the Fantasy, but after reading reports of an “overhang”, I switched us to deck 9.
After seeing photos on this thread, I’d go for the exact room that a previous post had instead... even with the absence of the glass.

I spend hours looking at cabin reviews and YouTube vids when booking a cabin.. you can google each stateroom and probably find a tour on YouTube as well.

Last edited:

LeighM

Thank you

Well "better" is one of those words that changes depending on who you ask. 8188 is "better" for me because I would prefer to be on a deck (such as 8th) that has rooms both above and below me. Whereas 10166 is on deck 10 and the room is directly below Cabanas. Many reports state that those rooms do hear early morning noise from staff setting up the tables/chairs for the breakfast service. I'm a light sleeper who prefers to sleep late so being directly below a busy restaurant is not ideal for me. However, I want the extended verandah (which usually has 2 lounge chairs) so I'm having to compromise something. I do not want to be surrounded by a bunch of people and kids on the main decks, which is why I want a quieter, more relaxing extended verandah. With stateroom 8188, I can have the extended verandah without a restaurant overhead. Also, I avoid elevators so deck 8 is central to the main restaurants and theaters on lower decks and Cabanas on deck 11. Does that answer your question? It comes down to personal preference.

Last edited:

drwadadli

Never stayed in 10166 but my primary concern would be its proximity to Cabanas. You are right below that deck and folks eating there during breakfast, lunch, and dinner might be distracting.
My understanding is that Cabanas end around cabin 10134 and 10634 (obviously on 11th deck) but therefore I am not sure the sound from breakfast, lunch or dinner would that distracting all the way back to 10166

drwadadli

Well "better" is one of those words that changes depending on who you ask. 8188 is "better" for me because I would prefer to be on a deck (such as 8th) that has rooms both above and below me. Whereas 10166 is on deck 10 and the room is directly below Cabanas. Many reports state that those rooms do hear early morning noise from staff setting up the tables/chairs for the breakfast service. I'm a light sleeper who prefers to sleep late so being directly below a busy restaurant is not ideal for me. However, I want the extended verandah (which usually has 2 lounge chairs) so I'm having to compromise something. I do not want to be surrounded by a bunch of people and kids on the main decks, which is why I want a quieter, more relaxing extended verandah. With stateroom 8188, I can have the extended verandah without a restaurant overhead. Also, I avoid elevators so deck 8 is central to the main restaurants and theaters on lower decks and Cabanas on deck 10. Does that answer your question? It comes down to personal preference.
It does and thank you very much. As I mentioned, I was curious as I am looking to book a cruise and debating over those two rooms and therefore trying to figure out which one to reserve. So, again thank you.

drwadadli

Sorry, that’s what I was trying to explain.. I’m assuming the balcony size. A ship is not like a building where the back is straight up.
Disney is a bit strange with their pricing and categories.. the aft descriptions say that they can have an obstruction, so they’re actually cheaper than a midship 5A.. so odd.. the description swayed me to book a 5A deck 10 on the Fantasy, but after reading reports of an “overhang”, I switched us to deck 9.
After seeing photos on this thread, I’d go for the exact room that a previous post had instead... even with the absence of the glass.

I spend hours looking at cabin reviews and YouTube vids when booking a cabin.. you can google each stateroom and probably find a tour on YouTube as well.
Thank you.... gotcha

I understand the "obstruction" part as I talked to a friend yesterday that always gets this one particular room because it has stairs that "don't really block any view".

lostpro9het

My understanding is that Cabanas end around cabin 10134 and 10634 (obviously on 11th deck) but therefore I am not sure the sound from breakfast, lunch or dinner would that distracting all the way back to 10166
There is outside eating/seating areas that extend above deck 10:
341691385331563.jpg

drwadadli

341691385331563.jpg
Thank you for the picture. Now I completely understand. Originally, I was looking at the deck plans on Disney's website and was going by that. Thank you for the picture and I will be reserving 8188 instead of 10166!!!!

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Never stayed in 10166 but my primary concern would be its proximity to Cabanas. You are right below that deck and folks eating there during breakfast, lunch, and dinner might be distracting.
341691385331563.jpg

We were in 10160 on Fantasy the week before last. The only true noise from Cabanas that you heard was in the morning with some chairs moving. It was nowhere near enough noise to wake you from a sleep whatsoever. As far as being out ON the balcony itself, the prop-wash and wind pretty much ensure you do not hear any more noise than most other Aft-Balc rooms. We found it to be just as peaceful as 7192 and 8186 on Dream.

As far as vibrations go, you feel them a bit more than you would in a mid-ship room or forward (unless docking when the FWD LAT Thrusters are in use). ME's are more aft thus generating a bit more vibration. I would not discourage anyone from ever booking a cabin displayed in the photo @lostpro9het posted.

DisSplash

We actually stayed on deck 10 aft twice and did not notice Cabanas as being a problem. I think one morning we heard them moving the chairs around, but it did not seem a big deal. Our last cruise in January we were on deck 9 and the kids complained so much about having to walk an extra flight of stairs to Cabanas (first world problems, I know) but even I missed how quickly you could grab a bite and head back to the room. So we are back in deck 10 for the next cruise! 😄

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom