Aerial view (June 13) of the Fantasyland expansion construction site

Bork Bork

Thanks for posting! For someone who is spatially challenged, this looks way better than a satellite pic. The expansion area is HUGE!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Once you get oriented with the photo, it is pretty amazing to see how expansive it will be. Thanks for the pic, Steve!

Atomicmickey

Thanks for this! Would be cool to get one every month or so . . . . (understood that it probably won't happen--expensive and time consuming!)
it really helps for visualization. No "over the fence" pic can really grab it like this.

It also makes me think about when it is done and we can see an aerial view that is not a painting, will probably look amazing!

Edited to add:

Wow, this must have been taken just before park opening--no strollers in Fantasyland! No people, either!

Ignohippo

Wow! They're really moving! I was just there on Thursday and Ariel's Grotto was still there.

btw, the Manager at the Princess & Fairy Meet & Great said that latest word was that TTF would be there well into mid-2011. I think phase two might be blue sky at this point...

tirian

Wow! They're really moving! I was just there on Thursday and Ariel's Grotto was still there.

btw, the Manager at the Princess & Fairy Meet & Great said that latest word was that TTF would be there well into mid-2011. I think phase two might be blue sky at this point...

Plans change frequently; if TTF closes at a different time, don't assume he was lying to you. TTF was originally marked to close this June, and that obviously didn't happen.

Dumbo is definitely moving over there. PH is still up in the air.

juan

Judging from the pic and comparing it with the current LM construction at DCA, it looks like the building will be oriented much different than CA. Assuming both rides are copies, the ride load/unload is actually on the side facing TTF. The DCA structure from Golden Dreams would be located on the bottom corner at the intersection of the two service roads for comparison. If the ride entrance is on the FL side, that means there must be a big queue coming to get to the load at the back side of the attraction.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Judging from the pic and comparing it with the current LM construction at DCA, it looks like the building will be oriented much different than CA. Assuming both rides are copies, the ride load/unload is actually on the side facing TTF. The DCA structure from Golden Dreams would be located on the bottom corner at the intersection of the two service roads for comparison. If the ride entrance is on the FL side, that means there must be a big queue coming to get to the load at the back side of the attraction.

According to the leaked blue prints the load/unload will on the the side opposite TTF facing the Beauty and the Beast area. I don't see anything the the aerial photo that contradicts this.

Dan

aladdin2007

Plans change frequently; if TTF closes at a different time, don't assume he was lying to you. TTF was originally marked to close this June, and that obviously didn't happen.

Dumbo is definitely moving over there. PH is still up in the air.

Hopefully they are rethinking Pixie Hollow into Wonderland instead. Would be so much more classic for MK and not just based on a direct to dvd franchise. Too much tink as it is.

Horizonsfan

Hopefully they are rethinking Pixie Hollow into Wonderland instead. Would be so much more classic for MK and not just based on a direct to dvd franchise. Too much tink as it is.

Wonderland would definitely be far more "classic" fantasyland than PH. Plus Burton's remake/sequel wasn't exactly a failure either (In the top 6 grossing movies worldwide.)

MotherOfBirds

Will they try to retain most of the existing vegetation? They'll have to rip out some because a lot of it is tropical, but I would think that they would want to keep what they could to maximize the grown-in landscaping that is very important to the feel of a "forest". Whatever they plant won't look right for a while after FL reopens

mitchjs

they haven't done SQUAT!!
you want to see construction, look how fast they building in Disney California Adventure!!
massive construction there....

aladdin2007

you want to see construction, look how fast they building in Disney California Adventure!!

um yeah good point. however dca's was slated to open much sooner anyway all along, but yeah the land has been cleared here for awhile now I think hasnt it?

SeaCastle

Though the project was announced in September, construction was not started until relatively recently. Regardless, most of the work done so far is out of this frame. Land was cleared back stage and then excavated for two new retention ponds (one of which is in the picture). That isn't necessarily an easy task considering the density of vegetation that occurs in Florida.

Furthermore, Pooh's Playful Spot is completely gone, maintenance trailers and sheds have been demo'd/relocated, the pit for Ariel's Adventure is dug (and that's one big pit!), Ariel's Grotto and surrounding area is gone, and the area for the new restaurant is virtually ready to go. Needless to say at California Adventure where they're doing simple demo jobs like tearing up parking lots, we're dealing with forests and Florida hydrology.

mitchjs

whine...whine...whine... (me whining)
as a fellow east coaster, and big time WDW FAN, how about WE get something 1st :)
ok, this could easily turn into a DL vs WDW
but clearly Disney Corp... sees something to that..much more love over the years to DL
perticually MK...
whats the last thing we got 1st, ToT? and thats a long time ago
oh well.. build away!
(ok, footnote, our HM is better.,..)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom