ADVISORY: Disney making adjustments for Solar Eclipse on Monday!

Chef Mickey

Now I'm totally confused. Even IF the Earth were flat, wouldn't there STILL be a solar eclipse? If only there were an attraction in EPCOT Center to set this all straight.
Correct.This is what we'll see.

tumblr_o343aa4tbZ1sfeix4o1_500.gif

Beacon Joe

And when was the last time that was an issue at Disney? :joyfull:

I think he meant Disney wouldn't realize enough of a profit from selling them. Plus, it's probably too expensive from a beancounter, lawyer, and reputation perspective. The last thing they would want, I would imagine, would be some idiot guests using Disney eclipse glasses incorrectly and burning their retinas, and then having the vulture-like press running stories about how Disney blinded its guests.

MaximumEd

Anyone else think people are over-reacting and howling at the moon over this? I checked to see if my grocery store was running low on aluminum foil due to certain folks making their foil hats to protect them from alien thought interception.

Yes. Yes, I do. I heard a radio show bring on a vet to ask if any special precautions needed to be taken for pets. The vet actually laughed and said animals don't stare at the sun, even during an eclipse. My dog may lay down thinking it's bed time, but that's about it.

DisneyCane

Anyone else think people are over-reacting and howling at the moon over this? I checked to see if my grocery store was running low on aluminum foil due to certain folks making their foil hats to protect them from alien thought interception.

Yes. Yes, I do. I heard a radio show bring on a vet to ask if any special precautions needed to be taken for pets. The vet actually laughed and said animals don't stare at the sun, even during an eclipse. My dog may lay down thinking it's bed time, but that's about it.

Along the same lines, the issue of staring at the sun without eye protection during an eclipse is not the eclipse. The issue is staring at the sun. It isn't any worse to stare at it during an eclipse. If you glance at it for a few seconds during the eclipse, your retinas won't instantly burn like a laser is shooting into your eyes.

FerretAfros

For comparison, here's a news report from Disneyland Paris during the August 11, 1999 total eclipse that crossed over Europe.

Highlights include free eclipse glasses for park guests, Mickey wearing eclipse glasses for meet & greets, and a mid-day performance of an abbreviated Main Street Electrical Parade (speeding down the parade route during the limited "dark" time)

The park was far closer to the path of totality than WDW will be tomorrow, and as you can see it really doesn't get *that* dark during the eclipse. Sure, they may need to stop certain activities for a couple minutes, but most of WDW's operational changes seem like an overreaction

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If they had an upcharge event some rube would stare directly at the sun with no eclipse glasses in while eating their cupcake then file a lawsuit blaming Disney that they went blind and Disney didn't do enough to protect the poor idiot
Well, they're going to have to tell the rubes to use the cupcakes as their viewing glasses. That'll keep them safe from retinal damage, but they might get corneal scratches from the jimmies in the frosting.

FigmentForver96

Along the same lines, the issue of staring at the sun without eye protection during an eclipse is not the eclipse. The issue is staring at the sun. It isn't any worse to stare at it during an eclipse. If you glance at it for a few seconds during the eclipse, your retinas won't instantly burn like a laser is shooting into your eyes.
This. People are completely overreacting about it. I mean I'm not saying go and stare but who was even doing that before the eclipse? The only people who really shouldn't look are those in the main path and that is right when the moon finished covering the path and when it starts to moves.

AndrewsJ

The following for informational purposes only.
On Monday, Aug. 21, a solar eclipse will be seen across the United States from coast to coast. During the eclipse, the moon will pass in between the Earth and the sun, causing a shadow on Earth. This rare, natural event is expected to be visible in the Central Florida area from approximately 1:15-4:30 p.m. For this reason, select attractions located across the Walt Disney World Resort may be temporarily unavailable due to low visibility.
Magic Kingdom
  • Tom Sawyer Island Closes at 2:00 PM and remain closed for the rest of the day.
Animal Kingdom
  • Animal trails will close temporarily prior to the onset of darkness, and will reopen as natural lighting allows
Blizzard Beach
  • Blizzard Beach will close attractions as needed and will provide additional entertainment when light levels reduce. Direct shuttle to Typhoon Lagoon available from 1:30 PM to 2:45 PM
Typhoon Lagoon
  • Will use nighttime lighting on its attractions as needed.
No other operational impacts are expected at this time. Also take note, Disney will not be selling the special glasses to view the eclipse.
Source: http://www.orlandoparksnews.com/2017/08/solar-eclipse-to-impact-select-walt.html
Thanks for the info!!!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
For comparison, here's a news report from Disneyland Paris during the August 11, 1999 total eclipse that crossed over Europe.

Highlights include free eclipse glasses for park guests, Mickey wearing eclipse glasses for meet & greets, and a mid-day performance of an abbreviated Main Street Electrical Parade (speeding down the parade route during the limited "dark" time)

The park was far closer to the path of totality than WDW will be tomorrow, and as you can see it really doesn't get *that* dark during the eclipse. Sure, they may need to stop certain activities for a couple minutes, but most of WDW's operational changes seem like an overreaction

People clapping along with the music to MSEP would send me right thru the roof!

Nmoody1

If only we still had a night time parade to run!

People clapping along with the music to MSEP would send me right thru the roof!

A bit like people talking the whole way through a fireworks display or stage show!

There's going to be 12 Sun and Moon combos? Mind = blown.

No... there is just one moon and one golden sun :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom