Advise for traveling to WDW after knee replacement surgery

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
My wife had a knee replacement in Nov 2010 and we went to the parks in late Feb 2011. We took our time, and rested from time to time but I am happy to report she made it through with no ECV with only some minor swelling. She iced her knee at night and was ready to go again in the morning.

crawale

I had both knees replaced last December. My wife and I are planning a trip to WDW in early November. Does anyone have any experience and advice to give? I should add that I am 6'6" and I have always had issues with certain ride vehicles.
I went after the first knee replacement and then again after the other knee was replaced. Prior to surgery I had a terrible time getting on and off buses, climbing stairs and most of all bending knees on rides like Small World - that was torture. Since surgery it has been wonderful and September last year I had no issues whatsoever. If your knees are still a bit stiff I recommend SALON PAS rubbed round the joint - gel is best and lasts all day.

crawale

Forgot to add that you are going to set off all the alarms when entering the parks or monorail. But no biggie, I just tell them it's my knees and they scan them and I move on. It's funny because sometimes the metal detectors go off and other times they do not.
Have been three times since surgery and never once have any alarms gone off. We went to the parks every day during our average two week trips.

rwdavis2

As long as your rehab went well I would not worry about it. We went after my first one and had no issues at all. After 10 months you should be close to 100%. I've since had the other one done and I have no knee issues at all.

totaljen

I'm an OT and would suggest a couple of things to bring with you/think about: knee compression sleeves to wear either during the day or at night to help with swelling and knee support, definitely ice, and/or anticipate elevating in the evenings, and for mobility, consider a rollator (4 wheeled walker with a seat). Gives you a chance to sit whenever you need, easy to maneuver, light weight and cast members can easily take it to the end of the ride... signs like your recovery is going well though. For ride entry/ exiting, practice high stepping, side high steps (think getting out of the space mountain cars) and if possible make sure your knee flexion is at least 75-80 degrees, 90 is better of course... knee flexion is what will limit your ability to get into/out of/sit in a ride the most. Hope y'all have fun!!

totaljen

Screenshot_20210515-102338_Amazon Shopping.jpg

GrumpyDude

Original Poster
Its almost a year since surgery and you are already doing amazing with the distance with your walking. I doubt you will have any issues (outside of the ones you already had issues with at 6'6).... i hope you dont have to fly though.. at 5'7 i feel cramped lol
I will be flying, so I am used to being cramped on an airplane. It's always a challenge getting into and out of my seat. Once I am seated, I can get settled into a fairly comfortable position...I just can't move until I get up.

GrumpyDude

Original Poster
Another knee replacement recoveree here, so the big issue with knee replacement is swelling. I think after my right one after a long day in the parks my knees would some times swell up.

I had my last replacement last february, right before all hell broke loose.

Some tips that helped me.
1) really good sneakers/shoes. lol you're going to be pounding the pavement literally.
2) no more commando touring. I generally go when it's Africa hot in Florida so generally I break the day up to give the heat and my knees a rest.
3) just like after surgery, I tried to stay ahead of any serious pain. generally at the end of the day I popped two or three acetaminophens or whatever your anti inflammatory drug of choice is and I iced my knee down (just grabbed some ice from the resort)

congrats on the new knee. I was bone on bone so although I still get stiff from arthritis, it's 100% better than before
Ice is my best friend. I swell-up after walking, so I guess I will have to live with that for a while.

GrumpyDude

Original Poster
I'm an OT and would suggest a couple of things to bring with you/think about: knee compression sleeves to wear either during the day or at night to help with swelling and knee support, definitely ice, and/or anticipate elevating in the evenings, and for mobility, consider a rollator (4 wheeled walker with a seat). Gives you a chance to sit whenever you need, easy to maneuver, light weight and cast members can easily take it to the end of the ride... signs like your recovery is going well though. For ride entry/ exiting, practice high stepping, side high steps (think getting out of the space mountain cars) and if possible make sure your knee flexion is at least 75-80 degrees, 90 is better of course... knee flexion is what will limit your ability to get into/out of/sit in a ride the most. Hope y'all have fun!!
Thanks. Left knee is about 75% to 80%. Right knee if 100%. Stairs and steps are not an issue. I take the stairs whenever possible. The biggest problem that I have is standing-up from a low chair without using my hands. I'm getting there though.

MissViv

Have been three times since surgery and never once have any alarms gone off. We went to the parks every day during our average two week trips.

That's great, I have been 2 times since surgery and one cruise. The metal detectors always go off at the airport (I fly) and they take me aside and run the hand wands and also pat me down, I always tell them I had knee replacement.

Some of the metal detectors go off when I enter the parks and some do not. The metal detector went off at Poly when I was going on the monorail.

I think my knees are titanium and that could be the difference! I have a card they gave me at the hospital that says "This is to certify that (name here) has had a metallic prosthetic device implanted which will produce a positive reading on electronic surveillance equipment".

MickeyLuv'r

I can't help you with specifics, but one ride that comes to mind is Astro Orbiter. It is tough to get in and out of that ride! That style of ride is called an aerial carousel, but WDW's other aerial carousels are generally easier to board.

One other ride that comes to mind is the Tomorrowland Speedway, if I'm thinking of rides that are hard to board.

For me, if I was at all on the fence about needing a mobility device, I'd opt to have one, if I thought it might make my vacation more enjoyable for me and my group. A mobility device doesn't have to be all or nothing. It can be something you use some days, or parts of some days. My approach doesn't have to be your approach.

Mind, mobility devices aren't the only option either at WDW. There are many scenarios where WDW offers multiple ways of getting from point A to point B. Knowing all of your transportation options is very often helpful at WDW.

ppete1975

I can't help you with specifics, but one ride that comes to mind is Astro Orbiter. It is tough to get in and out of that ride! That style of ride is called an aerial carousel, but WDW's other aerial carousels are generally easier to board.

One other ride that comes to mind is the Tomorrowland Speedway, if I'm thinking of rides that are hard to board.

For me, if I was at all on the fence about needing a mobility device, I'd opt to have one, if I thought it might make my vacation more enjoyable for me and my group. A mobility device doesn't have to be all or nothing. It can be something you use some days, or parts of some days. My approach doesn't have to be your approach.

Mind, mobility devices aren't the only option either at WDW. There are many scenarios where WDW offers multiple ways of getting from point A to point B. Knowing all of your transportation options is very often helpful at WDW.
So I think an important question is, if he doesnt get one. How hard would it be to get one in the spur of the moment. Lets say he gets there on Monday and wakes up tuesday and says.. oh i cant do that again. Are they sold out? Do they have them easily avail?

Minnie Mum

So I think an important question is, if he doesnt get one. How hard would it be to get one in the spur of the moment. Lets say he gets there on Monday and wakes up tuesday and says.. oh i cant do that again. Are they sold out? Do they have them easily avail?
Mobility devices come in all shapes and sizes; from canes and walkers/rollators, to wheelchairs and ECVs. The first 3 can be easily and cheaply purchased from multiple places nearby. Disney rents the latter 2 near the entrances to each of the parks; for use only within that park. These are readily available in the mornings, but they may run out later in the day on busy days. One can also rent these from third party companies. They will deliver them to your resort and pick them up at the end and you have the convenience of having them 24/7 for the length of your stay. Since the OP is a big guy, I wouldn't recommend a wheelchair unless there is an equally big guy in his party to push him.

ppete1975

Mobility devices come in all shapes and sizes; from canes and walkers/rollators, to wheelchairs and ECVs. The first 3 can be easily and cheaply purchased from multiple places nearby. Disney rents the latter 2 near the entrances to each of the parks; for use only within that park. These are readily available in the mornings, but they may run out later in the day on busy days. One can also rent these from third party companies. They will deliver them to your resort and pick them up at the end and you have the convenience of having them 24/7 for the length of your stay. Since the OP is a big guy, I wouldn't recommend a wheelchair unless there is an equally big guy in his party to push him.
yeah ecv is what i was curious about avail, thanks for all the great info :)

Disstevefan1

I am 80% recovered. I walk 2 to 4 miles everyday. I haven't been on my feet all day yet. That's why I'm fishing for anyone with similar experience. A scooter is a last resort.
2 to 4 miles a day is fantastic! My suggestion is to get a wheelchair (just in case) and use it if/when you need it. Go to guest services and get DAS passes for attractions you want to ride to you need not standing in queues.

GrumpyDude

Original Poster
The only ride my husband had a problem with post knee replacement was 7DMT. He has a hard time getting his feet placed in the narrow foot well.
(True story, I sent him to phys therapy with a photo of the ride seats and told them he needed to be able to get on this)! 🤣
That's a great idea.

MickeyLuv'r

I think wheelchairs are generally available as a back-up option. The WDW parks also have scooters for rent, but those scooters have to stay in the parks. (Though 1 voucher is good all day, even if one hops.)

There are- or at least were- multiple private electric scooter companies in the WDW area, BUT only one company has permission to leave them with bell services. For the rest, I think the small catch is that you have to be at your hotel to receive the scooter. BUT - OP would want to confirm all of the above. Off the top of my head, I don't recall which one is now the official company.

I'm inclined to think it is LIKELY he would be able to get a scooter rental on 24 hour notice or less.

If OP is thinking about having one of the smaller devices, it might make sense to have one prior to the vacation. Though I think it is possible to rent them.

My only other caveat is that operating the scooters takes a little practice. I've seen people struggle to steer and control them many times at WDW. The last time I went to HS, the poor woman in front of us kept crashing into one of the queues. I mean she chipped a chunk of wall plaster, and knocked over multiple queue stanchions. (Those are the portable poles WDW uses to mark some queues. They are connected with a chain, or by a retractable belt.)

Another option is to use assorted transportation options. Instead of taking WDW's free transportation, pay for a taxi. If OP has a car, arrive early to the parks, so they good a better parking spot, or perhaps pay for preferred parking. I think a scooter is about $50/day. Preferred parking costs $25 extra every day. There are multiple options to make a WDW trip easier. It depends how much you want to pay.

In OP's situation, I maybe would also think carefully about ADR's. Maybe what time of day is best, or just not making any, or focusing on ADR's at his hotel. If one is staying at a monorail resort, getting to the World Showcase via WDW transportation can be a long haul. If one is staying at the Contemporary, eating at the Contemporary is easy. If you don't make any ADR's, you're free to eat at any QS at any time. (or do mobile order from the TS places that currently offer mobile order to-go.)

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

They will deliver them to your resort and pick them up at the end and you have the convenience of having them 24/7 for the length of your stay. Since the OP is a big guy, I wouldn't recommend a wheelchair unless there is an equally big guy in his party to push him.
I thought the recent revision to the WDW policy was that only the official company was able to drop them off at the WDW hotel prior to one's arrival via bell services. To use the other companies, I read the new policy was that the person renting had to be present to receive/return the scooter. Renters still have it for the duration of the trip, but with that small inconvenience.

EDIT: Ah- i found it- it looks like the official company is ScooterBug Orlando.

I don't have enough experience to recommend any specific company, I just know that one detail.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom