Advice/suggestions appreciated on a possible visit to Universal

eb3257

Original Poster
We are a family of 4 but I am the only one that’s been to Universal. I used to go as a kid in the 90s and know that the only original ride that is left is ET. I’ve been to Islands of Adventure once (in 2001 I think) so I know a lot has changed there as well!

We are Harry Potter fans and would love to visit Wizarding World. I have one son that is not an adventure seeker at all, the other one is. Is there enough to do if you are not into thrill rides?

I keep reading that so many of the attractions are screen based which can trigger some dizziness for my husband. Which rides are the worst for this (in your opinion)?

Are the crowds at Universal as bad as Disney?

If you don’t have the Express pass are the lines still manageable?

If we were going to Disney I would know what to expect on nearly everything but with Universal and me not visiting in so long I feel like I am going in blind. I am just trying to gather some information to see if this would be a good fit for my family or not.

Any help is appreciated and thank you!!

007mickey

Some additional information to help with responses:
1. How old are the children?
2. When are you planning to go?
3. How many days are you planning for the parks?
4. Where are you planning to stay?

eb3257

Original Poster
Some additional information to help with responses:
1. How old are the children?
2. When are you planning to go?
3. How many days are you planning for the parks?
4. Where are you planning to stay?
Kids are 9, thinking either May or October of 2023, 3 park days and unsure about where we are staying at this point in time.

Disneyhead'71

Ok, the absolute best way to "do Universal" is to stay at a Deluxe resort (Portofino, Hard Rock, and Royal Pacific) because you get free Unlimited Express passes for everyone in your room for all the days of your stay including check-in day and check out day. So for 3 days of EPs you only have to stay 2 nights. If you do the math, it is an amazing perk. And makes your visit extremely stress free. Almost zero pre-planning except for Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure.

That said, early May and October are historically not super crowded. But post pandemic, all bets are off. It has been 😶‍🌫️ at Best.

More later. I have to take my lady to her birthday dinner.

trr1

We are Harry Potter fans and would love to visit Wizarding World. I have one son that is not an adventure seeker at all, the other one is. Is there enough to do if you are not into thrill rides?

yes, also if you are Potter fan get the park to park plan so you can ride the Hogwarts Express both waysare a different experience

I keep reading that so many of the attractions are screen based which can trigger some dizziness for my husband. Which rides are the worst for this (in your opinion)?
the Simpsons, MIB actually spins you Spiderman actually spins you and same with Transformers

Are the crowds at Universal as bad as Disney?
I havn't been to Disney World since 2008 so I couldnt answer that
we went to Universal in May and it was busy . October is slow, however studios closed at 5 for HHN

If you don’t have the Express pass are the lines still manageable?
if going in May try staying at Royal Pacific or Hard Rock for the Express passes. in October its not as busy so if you stay onsite Cabana Bay is a good option and is less expensive you can alway buy the passes if needed then

also here is a crowd calendar

Last edited:

007mickey

Well I'm far from a authority on Universal but I'll give what info I can. There are others who have a wealth of knowledge and I hope they will respond as well.

For our family, Universal appealed to my two boys as they got into their double digit ages. I feel like it caters a little better for the adventurous types but the laid back, don't plan as much atmosphere cannot be ignored. The more I go to Universal vs Disney these days, the more I appreciate Universal.

I highly encourage you to do a little research on the attractions at each park. Yes, there are quite a few screen based attractions rides but some are worse than others in my opinion (Simpson's put's my stomach on notice). Some have real troubles with Forbidden Journey. There are certainly some hi-lights in each park and the Wizarding World is a must do for any Potter fan. Both Potterlands are just fantastic to wonder around in but Diagon Alley is simply amazing at transforming you into the movies. Parts of the Studios are a bit dated but if you haven't been in awhile, it's still worth visiting with some great attractions (your adventurous one should love the Mummy). I have yet to ride Hagrid's or Velocicoaster but will remedy that this November and I can't wait.

We have gotten quite spoiled on the unlimited express pass and therefore have stayed in one of the three "flagship" resorts for each trip - Portofino (haven't stayed here), Hard Rock (stayed here several times) and Royal Pacific (stayed here once). It's simply glorious that each of these three offer the availability to walk to the parks, something not very common at Disney. I think maybe a couple of the new resorts (Sapphire Falls & Adventura) are walkable but a bit further. I cannot tell you how much we enjoy being able to walk (or boat if you like) to the parks and City Walk. I will say some of the newer resorts look really good and if express passes are not really important, look into some outside of the 3 "flagship" resorts I mentioned.

May or October sounds really nice for crowds (and weather i might add). Express passes might not be as important for those times but some really like the advantage they provide of multiple rides on favorite attractions without the wait. I'm sure someone can let you know about going that time of year and whether the express pass is worth it. Note that some of the express pass lines bypass portions of queue lines that are not be be missed.

We love the 3 day, 2 park, park to park ticket. We comfortably see all we want without a headache of planning and worrying about missing something. I'm sure others will tell you less time or even more time is desirable but everybody tours theme parks differently. I also highly suggest for Potter fans to take advantage of the Hogwart's express if you have a park to park ticket. The train ride is different going to and from each park but the experience of going from King's Cross to Hogsmeade is really great.

To me, an admitted over planner, a trip to Universal is soooo much easier than Disney. Less stress is actually nice when your on vacation ;).

Jon81uk

October won’t be that crowded. We just did a trip in the first week of September (forgot it was Labour Day) and the longest we waited was 75 minutes for Velocicoaster and for Spider-Man when outdoor attractions were closed due to lightning.

One of the worst for nausea can be Forbidden Journey as it whips around a bit. Simpsons ride also has some moments if you are susceptible to motion sickness.

Even if you don’t stay in an on-site hotel that has express pass I would say the boat service to the parks is a great perk.

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
I don't know the protocol here. Is it frowned upon to ask my own trip question in this type of thread? If so, please let me know and I will delete this post and start a new thread.

That being said, we are planning an Orlando trip in June-July which I would like some perspective for. We will be doing the first half at WDW, (which we have done a couple of times before,) and the second half as a first-time Universal visit. My main question is where should we spend the 4th of July? I know about the crowds and special fireworks at MK and Epcot, but know nothing about USO. Given all the pros and cons, where would we be likely to have the best experience on that day?

Thanks very much in advance.

JoeCamel

I don't know the protocol here. Is it frowned upon to ask my own trip question in this type of thread? If so, please let me know and I will delete this post and start a new thread.

That being said, we are planning an Orlando trip in June-July which I would like some perspective for. We will be doing the first half at WDW, (which we have done a couple of times before,) and the second half as a first-time Universal visit. My main question is where should we spend the 4th of July? I know about the crowds and special fireworks at MK and Epcot, but know nothing about USO. Given all the pros and cons, where would we be likely to have the best experience on that day?

Thanks very much in advance.
If best means the best fireworks and nevermind the crowds do WDW but they also do the fireworks on the 3rd so maybe both? Both will be very crowded

eb3257

Original Poster
Thank you for sending this! I just read your article and found it so helpful.
Ok, the absolute best way to "do Universal" is to stay at a Deluxe resort (Portofino, Hard Rock, and Royal Pacific) because you get free Unlimited Express passes for everyone in your room for all the days of your stay including check-in day and check out day. So for 3 days of EPs you only have to stay 2 nights. If you do the math, it is an amazing perk. And makes your visit extremely stress free. Almost zero pre-planning except for Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure.
Thank you for your suggestions! I keep looking at the deluxe resorts and seeing a price tag of over 500 a night (yikes) but I know that with the express passes included this is a huge perk. I need to price it all out but I am so glad you mentioned that 2 nights in the hotel would mean 3 days of express pass which I didn't realize.

eb3257

Original Poster
October won’t be that crowded. We just did a trip in the first week of September (forgot it was Labour Day) and the longest we waited was 75 minutes for Velocicoaster and for Spider-Man when outdoor attractions were closed due to lightning.

One of the worst for nausea can be Forbidden Journey as it whips around a bit. Simpsons ride also has some moments if you are susceptible to motion sickness.

Even if you don’t stay in an on-site hotel that has express pass I would say the boat service to the parks is a great perk.
Thank you for your suggestions on the motion sensitive rides. Do you think there is enough to do at the Universal parks if not everyone in your family is adventurous with rides?

eb3257

Original Poster
Well I'm far from a authority on Universal but I'll give what info I can. There are others who have a wealth of knowledge and I hope they will respond as well.

For our family, Universal appealed to my two boys as they got into their double digit ages. I feel like it caters a little better for the adventurous types but the laid back, don't plan as much atmosphere cannot be ignored. The more I go to Universal vs Disney these days, the more I appreciate Universal.

I highly encourage you to do a little research on the attractions at each park. Yes, there are quite a few screen based attractions rides but some are worse than others in my opinion (Simpson's put's my stomach on notice). Some have real troubles with Forbidden Journey. There are certainly some hi-lights in each park and the Wizarding World is a must do for any Potter fan. Both Potterlands are just fantastic to wonder around in but Diagon Alley is simply amazing at transforming you into the movies. Parts of the Studios are a bit dated but if you haven't been in awhile, it's still worth visiting with some great attractions (your adventurous one should love the Mummy). I have yet to ride Hagrid's or Velocicoaster but will remedy that this November and I can't wait.

We have gotten quite spoiled on the unlimited express pass and therefore have stayed in one of the three "flagship" resorts for each trip - Portofino (haven't stayed here), Hard Rock (stayed here several times) and Royal Pacific (stayed here once). It's simply glorious that each of these three offer the availability to walk to the parks, something not very common at Disney. I think maybe a couple of the new resorts (Sapphire Falls & Adventura) are walkable but a bit further. I cannot tell you how much we enjoy being able to walk (or boat if you like) to the parks and City Walk. I will say some of the newer resorts look really good and if express passes are not really important, look into some outside of the 3 "flagship" resorts I mentioned.

May or October sounds really nice for crowds (and weather i might add). Express passes might not be as important for those times but some really like the advantage they provide of multiple rides on favorite attractions without the wait. I'm sure someone can let you know about going that time of year and whether the express pass is worth it. Note that some of the express pass lines bypass portions of queue lines that are not be be missed.

We love the 3 day, 2 park, park to park ticket. We comfortably see all we want without a headache of planning and worrying about missing something. I'm sure others will tell you less time or even more time is desirable but everybody tours theme parks differently. I also highly suggest for Potter fans to take advantage of the Hogwart's express if you have a park to park ticket. The train ride is different going to and from each park but the experience of going from King's Cross to Hogsmeade is really great.

To me, an admitted over planner, a trip to Universal is soooo much easier than Disney. Less stress is actually nice when your on vacation ;).
I hope your enjoy your vacation in November! I am taking your advice and doing some research now. Do you have a favorite resort on property? I can't wait to go on Hagrid's either.

Rob562

I hope your enjoy your vacation in November! I am taking your advice and doing some research now. Do you have a favorite resort on property? I can't wait to go on Hagrid's either.

If you don't need Express Passes, our favorite resort is Sapphire Falls. For us, it's the sweet spot balance between amenities and budget. I'd equate it to Wilderness Lodge at a Pop Century or Coronado Springs price point. Nice rooms, nice big pool, and it offers boat service to the parks. And there's a walkway to Volcano Bay (though it's not as picturesque a walk as the walk from Cabana Bay)

If we're looking to save a little money, Cabana Bay is a close second. Nice amenities, great food court, though the bus brings you to the main arrival hub by the parking garages vs the boat from Sapphire that drops right by the park. You can also walk, it's about 15-20 minutes.

-Rob

Jon81uk

Thank you for your suggestions on the motion sensitive rides. Do you think there is enough to do at the Universal parks if not everyone in your family is adventurous with rides?
Depends what you mean by adventurous, also how much of a Harry Potter fan.
If you’ll ride Big Thunder Mountain, and Star tours then there will be enough for most with Gringotts, Simpsons etc.
If you’ll do Rock’n’rollercoaster then probably most rides except Hulk and Velocicoaster are likely.
There is also the fantastic Jason Bourne stunt show, the animal actors show and several other things.
But if Star Tours makes you sick that probably rules out quite a few rides.

trr1

If you don't need Express Passes, our favorite resort is Sapphire Falls. For us, it's the sweet spot balance between amenities and budget. I'd equate it to Wilderness Lodge at a Pop Century or Coronado Springs price point. Nice rooms, nice big pool, and it offers boat service to the parks. And there's a walkway to Volcano Bay (though it's not as picturesque a walk as the walk from Cabana Bay)

If we're looking to save a little money, Cabana Bay is a close second. Nice amenities, great food court, though the bus brings you to the main arrival hub by the parking garages vs the boat from Sapphire that drops right by the park. You can also walk, it's about 15-20 minutes.

-Rob
or walk across the street from Cabana Bay and get the boat from Sapphire Falls to City walk

007mickey

Thank you, we are really looking forward to it.

I can only speak of experience for two resorts. We've stayed at Hard Rock (3 times) and Royal Pacific (1 time). We really enjoyed both and loved the locations. Two completely different vibes as you can imagine. There are some options at each resort outside of the standard 2 queen rooms.

ROOMS:
Royal Pacific typical two queen room rooms are 335 sf and exactly what you think a two queen room would offer. They also offer a King Suite (670 sf) that includes a separate "master bedroom" with a sleeper sofa in living area. Then they have a Jurassic World themed room that is very much like the King Suite but replaces the sleep sofa living room with a 2 bed Jurassic bed room for the kiddos. All are still one bathroom but the sink is outside the shower and toilet area which is nice when getting ready with multiple people. I believe there are some really large suites and club level rooms but I've never really looked into those.

Hard Rock two queen rooms are bit larger at 375 sf. They offer a Deluxe King (400 sf) and Deluxe Double Queen (500 sf) that are still single rooms but larger than the standard with some unique geometry in their layout. We have stayed in the Deluxe Dbl Queen twice with our boys and friend in tow; it gave us a nice amount of space we enjoyed. Again, all are still one bathroom but the sink is outside the shower and toilet area. Club level rooms are available I believe.

The final deluxe resort is Portofino, it looks very quaint and secluded but we've never stayed here. The most expensive of the 3, Portofino's two queen rooms are the largest at 450 sf. Seems like have a Deluxe Queen that is just slightly larger than the standard but that's about the only difference. They also have a kid's suite type room that is Minion themed. And larger suite rooms and club level rooms are available as well.

FOOD:
At the Hard Rock, we've eaten at "The Kitchen" and liked it very much. They have the upscale Palm restaurant if a classic steak house is your thing. They also have a pool bar/small bites place along with a marketplace (Emack & Bolio's) that used to have coffee and such in the morning...I guess they still do?

At Royal Pacific, things have changed since we last stayed. Unfortunately, the signature resort restaurant of Emeril Lagasse's Tchoup Chop (it was wonderful in our opinion) has closed. But they have added a lounge and sushi bar that was done with the recent common area renovations. We are sushi fans so I'm looking forward to this addition. They also added a very nice grab and go type marketplace that looks very well done. There is still the old Islands Dining Room (never eaten here) and Jakes American (never eaten here) along with the typical pool bar (Bula Bar & Grille). They used to do a Luau, I suppose they still do??

I'm probably don't need to tell you but there are wonderful YouTube videos of all the above I mentioned. They can be very helpful in planning.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom