Advice on when to travel

PRNCSAurora

My family is beginning to plan our trip for 2014. It will be the first time that I go with my entire family (mom, dad, older brother) since college. It will also be the first time my husband and I get to bring our little girl; depending on when we go she will be between 14-20 months.

The major problem lays in that I am a school teacher and cannot take any time off other than when school vacations are planned. I also cannot take a day off before or after a vacation to make travel easy. Okay with that in mind, what would you recommend as the best time for us to travel? We can do the following time of year:
Week between Christmas & New Year's
President's Day Week in February
Patriot's Day WeeK (3rd week) in April
Summer (end of June - Mid August)

Currently we are thinking the end of June-beginning of July, but I'm not sure.

disney magic 06

It's personal choice really but if it were me I'd go for April. Christmas time is very busy, summer hot and humid. February would be my second choice, but it could be cool and it's a popular time for ride refurbs.

Although of course any time a WDW is a good time :D

Upvote 0

Funfy

My family is beginning to plan our trip for 2014. It will be the first time that I go with my entire family (mom, dad, older brother) since college. It will also be the first time my husband and I get to bring our little girl; depending on when we go she will be between 14-20 months.

The major problem lays in that I am a school teacher and cannot take any time off other than when school vacations are planned. I also cannot take a day off before or after a vacation to make travel easy. Okay with that in mind, what would you recommend as the best time for us to travel? We can do the following time of year:

Currently we are thinking the end of June-beginning of July, but I'm not sure.

This is a tough call. We also travel with teachers and we traveled with school age kids. I agree with them, but, as you know when you have teachers in the family, you don't take kids out of school for anything! LOL Also, are you staying on or off property that determines a measure of crowd tolerance.

It depends on how your family handles the heat. We go a lot in the last week of May, June, July slot. We are also from Georgia and are somewhat used to the heat and humidity-the latter being the killer. Here are my pennies:

If you don't have other family obligations, the week after Christmas is nice. I think most of the holiday programming is done, but, the decorations are up through the first week of the new year. We usually do a big New Years Eve party with family, but are actually skipping this year-not sure we are pleasing the crowd.

February is certainly cooler, but, a lot of southern schools are taking that week off now and a holiday weekend for some. Not as empty as it once was, but not as crowded as other times.

Anytime from mid-march through first of May is some college/lower school spring break. We have gone during peak spring break periods, but were on property and could escape during the day and do Extended Magic Hours (EMH) at night-teenagers do not not early, but, there are early hours also.

Summer-very hot and humid-once again helped out by staying on property. One of the benefits never mentioned in the pros and cons of staying on property is that knowledge in the back of your mind that at anytime I am too hot, tired, not well, cranky, etc... I can go back to my room and come back later.

There is also something very Disneyesque about being there when you are "supposed" to be there-hot, crowded, waiting in line, working the fastpass system, stumbling on that short line somehow...We went in September one time. It was nice being cooler, not waiting in line, but, weirdly it didn't feel like a "true" Disney vacation. This idea will shot down rapidly and adamantly by others that swear (insert cooler/less crowded month) is the only time to go.

Hopefully, this pageful of my scenarios helps. It really depends on you and your family's vacation style.

Whatever you choose, have a magical time!

P.S. Don't let anyone tell your daughter is too young. One is never too young-you just might have to go at her pace!
:)

Upvote 0

PRNCSAurora

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice so far!

I forgot to add that if we go between Christmas & New Years or any time in the summer, we will be staying most of the time off site at my cousin's house (15 minutes away) for almost next to nothing. If we go during February or April, we will need to stay entirely in a hotel because my cousin will be at his house.

My husband and I are heading to my parents for a cookout today, so I plan on picking everyone's brain on what they prefer. It stinks having such time constraints, but there are MANY other perks to teaching and I have to say I love my job.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

We are a family of teachers (now retired), and we faced similar choices when our kids were younger. Since Easter falls on April 20th in 2014, I would not advise going then. Many schools have their break then, and the parks get really busy. President's week is actually not as bad usually - the beginning of the week is crazy, but it does calm down somewhat. The weather can be pretty unpredictable, so you have to be prepared for both hot and cold weather. I wouldn't advise the week between Christmas and New Year's at all. The summer dates you mentioned will be quite hot and humid, but if I had to choose, I'd probably go with either the mid to end of June, or the end of August.
Happy planning!

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

Out of your choices...my first choice would be February...lower crowds and cooler temps. 2nd choice is mid aug- We went mid August last year and had a great time. The summer crowds had died down quite a bit, the parks were open late, and it just felt like summer vacation.:)

We've been in April during spring break and it was nuts. June has varied for us, but July felt kind of crazy. Late December is going to have the highest prices and crowds...but you do get the added perk of all of the holiday decorations and festivities if you want to brave it.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

Thanks for the advice so far!

I forgot to add that if we go between Christmas & New Years or any time in the summer, we will be staying most of the time off site at my cousin's house (15 minutes away) for almost next to nothing. If we go during February or April, we will need to stay entirely in a hotel because my cousin will be at his house.

My husband and I are heading to my parents for a cookout today, so I plan on picking everyone's brain on what they prefer. It stinks having such time constraints, but there are MANY other perks to teaching and I have to say I love my job.

If you do decide on a time when your cousin's house is not available, I'd recommend that you look into renting a home or condo - big savings for a group your size, and lots of advantages. (kitchen, laundry, private bedrooms, etc.)

Upvote 0

alissafalco

Definitely do NOT go during Chirstmas week. That is the busiest time all year, and that's when Disney actually has to close the doors to the parks because they reach max capacity. If you stay at your cousins house there could be a good chance you might not even get into the park. When it reaches max capacity they only let in people staying on site. I would suggest to go at the very end of August, or as close to the end of August as possible. Thats when the crowds start dying down because many schools & sports activities start and kids have to be back. Also, you will be able to stay at your cousins to save extra $$, and the flights will be much much cheaper than if you go during Feb/april/ or christmas break. Those are the most expensive times to fly. Airlines jack up the flights more than double during those times. My vote is for end of August!

Upvote 0

IndyDisney

Both my parents were teachers and I'm now married to one. We've always gone in the summer, usually late June to late July. Yes it's hot. Yes it's crowded. Get to the parks early, take an afternoon pool/nap break, then head back to the park after dinner. I think it works best. I would feel rushed to go for an extended weekend during the school year. Plus in the summer, you can rest the following your vacation.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

If you're from the north, I'd suggest against traveling in mid-winter if you don't have to, given the increased chance of flight delays from winter weather. My parents are both teachers, and had more than one February break vacation ruined when winter storms caused delays of up to 2 days...

Upvote 0

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
This! It sucks you can't go in the off season. But weather and crowd wise this seems like it may be your best choice.

Either way have fun!

Upvote 0

crosswagon

My daughter is a teacher and she took 2 personal days before her Christmas break and we checked in on the 17th and checked out the 23rd. The last two days were pretty crowded and this year she is taking 3 days and we will be there the 13th thru the 21st so maybe we will miss the Christmas crush altogther. My other daughter will finish up her finals the day before we leave so things have lined up pretty good so far.
We have been in May, June, July, August, and December over the years but last year was our first trip to go in December and by far we enjoyed the weather (sunny everyday, average of 75 degrees each day) compared to the hot summer months. Although that may not be the normal for those months in Florida.

We are certain you will have a wonderful time whenever you pick.

Upvote 0

DisDadEddie

Mid to end of August is the best for us. Kids in the south are going back to school, the weather is nice and there is free dining near the end of August. We went last year at that time and we are returning August 8th thru 20th this year. Good luck planning!

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

I'd say as late in August as you can go. As mentioned, XMas-NYE is slammed, Presidents day week and Easter won't be far behind. I'd avoid June just in case its a particularly bad winter, and you have a bunch of snow days. Don't want to have to cancel if school runs late. Unless your contract says that you are guaranteed done by a certain date, then that point is moot. August will be hot and humid, but if you can hit the last week or two, the crowds have mostly left by then.

Upvote 0

PRNCSAurora

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the advice. My dad basically made the decision (he and my mom are picking up the lodging, so I guess they can) and wants to go in August. We will be heading down for about 8 days the first full week in August. DH and I have done that before (our 1st anniversary) and it was HOT, but we plan on taking it slow and going only as much as our little girl can handle. I'm sure it won't be our last trip. The best part is that we will be down over Dh and my 5th anniversary. Since we really struggled with some things for the first three years of our marriage, this will be a good way to celebrate.

Upvote 0

polynesiangirl

My vote is for August. We've done August trips multiple times and always enjoy it -- but I am a fan of summer weather so that will factor into your decision. As someone else said upthread, I think if you're staying on property the potential heat isn't as big of a factor, because you can more easily go back and forth from your hotel to the parks.

Upvote 0

coltow

I would NEVER recommend Christmas week. It's so freakin crowded.

I have cousins that are teachers that are trying Feb vacation this year. It'll be busy but nearly as busy as Christmas week.

You say Patriot's Day week so guessing you are from Mass. I would only go that week if Easter is NO WHERE near it. Easter week can be just as busy as Christmas week.

My personal opinion is to go in August as late a possible. I'm in Lynn, MA we don't go back to school until after Labor Day so this year we are going to come home the Day before Labor Day. I'd say find out the last day you can travel home then go backwards to find date to travel down.

Upvote 0

disneynut4u

We have been in October 3 different times. The first time was great - no crowds, etc. The other two times (around the same time both years) were more crowded. We went the second week of May one year. The crowds were lighter, but boy was it hot! This year, we went the second week of January, and it was awesome. Weather was nice, crowds were almost non-existent. So far, this was our best time.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom