Advice on flights

NelleBelle

Original Poster
Hi guys--love reading everyone's advice and I've learned a lot. I need advice on flying into Orlando. We are looking at doing a redeye that gets in at 5:30am the day the cruise departs (we are flying from Seattle). Has anyone had any problems with flight delays that has caused them to miss the ship departing? I'm wondering if it's safer to fly in the day before and get a hotel room in either Orlando (airport Hyatt?) or near the port. Any advice would be great!

tmitch

Knocking on wood, I've never had flight delays. But I would almost certainly think flying in the day before is the way to go. I've done that on my cruises with the thought that if my current flight is delayed, there's still time in the day or later possible flights, but that's just me

Zortek

Flying in the day of would be far too stressful for me. We are flying in the day before and staying in Cocoa Beach at the Residence Inn.

216bruce

Considering the amount of $ involved in a Disney cruise, my advice would be to fly in a day early- stress free. Rest up, enjoy, get to the cruise terminal at your leisure. The extra nights accommodation is small change in the grand scheme of things.

MotherofaPrincessLover

I was going to fly in the day of my cruise, but after I thought about it some more, I decided to fly in the day before. If I missed the ship departing, I'd be out the money for the cruise plus I'd have to spend more money either flying home early or getting lodging/food until my original departure. So, when thinking about that, the price for a night at a hotel seems pretty cheap!

NelleBelle

Original Poster
All excellent points and well-taken! Didn't know if anyone has missed the departure due to flight issues or not. You'd think after all my years on this earth that I'd listen to my mother :) She actually came close to missing her ship's departure when her flight was cancelled. Thanks for all the great advice!

Bolna

You might do better with overnight flights, but I find that they are horribly draining and I would not want to spoil my first day of getting on the ship by flying through the night and feeling tired and unwashed (no chance to take a morning shower when you get off the plane...) when I board the ship!

atrus79

Just another tidbit of info ... if you fly in and stay at the airport Hyatt, let them know that you are going on the cruise! You can leave your bags in the room and they 'magically' will be delivered to your stateroom ... saves the hassle of dragging around bags for the next day :)

My wife and I did this for our cruise in late September ... the Hyatt was nice and quiet and so convenient and the service was great.

DisneyJoe

Just another tidbit of info ... if you fly in and stay at the airport Hyatt, let them know that you are going on the cruise! You can leave your bags in the room and they 'magically' will be delivered to your stateroom ... saves the hassle of dragging around bags for the next day :)

My wife and I did this for our cruise in late September ... the Hyatt was nice and quiet and so convenient and the service was great.
Yes, tell them at check in and they will set you up with the paperwork etc. It's great. We're doing it a week.

NeedMoreMickey

In March our flight that originated in Boston to Baltimore was delayed 8 hours because of mechanical problems. Southwest ended up canceling flight to New Orleans and gave our flight that plane to Orlando. We missed an entire day, supposed to land at 3:00 pm but got to the hotel at 11:55 pm. I freak out so I would go the day before the cruise.

Brian & Jill

When we went on our DCL cruise in May we flew in the night before and stayed right at the Hyatt at the airport. Then DCL came and got our luggage right from our room the morning we were getting on the ship. Then we hopped on the cruise line bus and they took us right to port. In my honest opinion taking the red eye in and then getting on the ship the same day would be very tiring and you wouldn't be able to enjoy your first day on the ship. If you decide to take the red eye in call the Hyatt to see if you can get a room for a couple of hours to be able to rest in some peace,quiet and comfort.

NelleBelle

Original Poster
We booked our tickets tonight and went ahead with the flight that gets us in the day before. Coming from the northwest, it's a long, long flight. I don't want to start our vacation feeling cranky from the red eye, even if the kids do sleep all night. When we go to the "world", we do the redeye with our first day spent at the water park relaxing. Then we head back to the room when its ready for a nap and then up for dinner. It helps adjust to the time zone (which is what I HATE about going to the east coast).

I have to than all of you on the forum for all the terrific tidbits of info. Now if I can just remember where I read all the great pointers :oops:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom