Advice for first time ECV (Scooter) user.

capecodhome

October 2nd will be my moms first trip to WDW and she will be using a scooter. Does anyone have any tips? We are renting it from Buena Vista Scooters so she will have it all the time. I am worried about rain because somewhere it said it cant get wet and October can be rainy. She usually does not use a scooter at home. Any advice?

Rob562

See if she can find one to practice with at home. At a store, borrow a friend's, etc...

Key skills are backing up and turning tight corners.

-Rob

Upvote 0

luv

BTDT!!!

When she gets it, let her practice, practice, practice. :)

Be prepared to have a slower commute everywhere. People will walk in front of you on purpose. If someone in front of you stops and you stop, it will be a while before you can get going again. Be ready for this. Don't be surprised when people jump in front of you or don't let you through. It takes a long time to tour in a scooter.

Don't assume that you don't need to get to fireworks seating early. They only have so much room, even for scooters, and once it is filled, that's that. If you don't get there early, she won't be able to see.

Although you hear a lot on the boards about how people in scooters don't wait...they do. If you're very lucky, you can get on the first bus that shows up. But often, you'll wait 2-3 times as long as walkers. Most of the lines can accommodate scooters, but not all. For the ones that don't, you might get in faster...but you might get in slower than if you walked.

Be prepared for everything to take much longer than usual. Don't be surprised by rudeness. If you're prepared in this way, you'll have a better time. :)

Upvote 0

NeedMoreMickey

The last time my mom went us I let her use my Disney poncho when it rained but it would have been nice to have an extra poncho to throw over basket in front an over the back of the seat. They are pretty cheap at Target & Walmart in the camping section, next time we will take a few extras. We also take a few bungee cords and "D" rings to use to hook stuff to the chair. We put my camera tripod in a bag from a folding chair and and attached it to the back of the chair.

Upvote 0

DisneyJoe

Most scooter rental companies supply a small rain cover for the electrical box (with the key and forward/reverse controls), be sure to put that on if it rains, and cover herself with a poncho. The battery and motor compartment (under the seat) should be ok except in a torrential rain.

Tell her to keep her eye "on the road" in front of her, be a defensive driver, people will stop for no reason in front of her or just walk in front. The speed adjusts from very slow to very fast, have her adjust it - especially when getting on and off the bus, put it on one of the slower speeds.

If the park is empty, or a land is, tell her to feel free to put it on the fastest speed and have a little fun.

When not moving, turn the key to the off position - this prevents kids or even her from bumping into the controls and accidentally moving. It also helps the battery charge last longer. Charge it every night, even if you don't think it needs it.

The first few times using the bus are tricky, but most drivers are patient and will be a great help.

Upvote 0

luis71091

Whenever we go with my grandma, she rents a scooter. Be prepared to up your patience level by like 300% lol. Have her practice at the resort. Getting on and off the bus will be a little scary, make sure that scooter is turned down to the slowest speed possible when getting on/off the bus. (We made the mistake of not checking the speed. Lordly lordly what a show that was). People will be rude as hell and try to trample your mother just to get in front. My grandma gets nervous when this happens so I take over the steering and run them over. I don't care, you get in front of me, your foot is coming off, lol. It'll be fine though, she'll have fun with it, and running rude people over is always a plus! :p

Upvote 0

wiigirl

See if she can find one to practice with at home. At a store, borrow a friend's, etc...

Key skills are backing up and turning tight corners.

-Rob

lol...true...would stink to mow down someone. :p
75.gif

Upvote 0

BrittanyRose428

I agree with the seating for fireworks mentioned above, get there early. Other than that, you should be fine. A poncho should work fine if its raining. Like other have mentioned, sometimes driving them can be difficult, I know I tried my grandpa's for all of 10 minutes, and luckily no one was walking by or they may have been run over. So they may take some getting used to if you're not used to it.

Upvote 0

ctosh

BTDT!!!

When she gets it, let her practice, practice, practice. :)

Although you hear a lot on the boards about how people in scooters don't wait...they do. If you're very lucky, you can get on the first bus that shows up. But often, you'll wait 2-3 times as long as walkers. Most of the lines can accommodate scooters, but not all. For the ones that don't, you might get in faster...but you might get in slower than if you walked.

My dad broke his foot before our last trip and had to use one... Just plan to take it slow

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom