Advice for 2017 visit

JAMMYD778

I am currently planning a trip for my retired parents and myself to Orlando/WDW in October/November 2017 as it's always been their lifetime wish to visit.

However, I've heard so much doom and gloom lately about the state of the parks, various cost cutting measures and lacking guest experience so I'm asking as to whether it is still worth pursuing?

Furthermore, I'm looking to visit for a week myself (maybe with a friend) for the first time in late March/early April but have heard this may be a busy time. Is it worth visiting for this week so I can get a grasp of the resort so the potential Oct/Nov visit is smooth for my parents or should I hold out until the latter trip?

Any advice is greatly appreciated and hopefully I'll be off to WDW for the first time soon.

carriebeth

Definitely take them on their lifetime trip! Yeah there are some things closed and under construction and things aren't opening on time...but overall...its still an amazing place. And if they have never been there or have not been in a long time, they won't miss what they didn't even know was there, really. As far as "magic" missing, we just got back a couple weeks ago. I think this trip I experienced more frustrating moments with cast members that didn't seem like they were giving it their all, but overall most were fantastic. Most problems were in the food service area. Servers that were slow or rarely seen, slow service, etc. There were a couple issues in communication in the World Showcase speaking with cast members from other countries. Its charming they have people from the actual countries working there but when their understanding of English prevents them from communicating with guests it really loses its appeal. For the few issues we had overall in an 11 day trip, our amazing moments where cast members of one type or another went out of their way to make something really special for our children far outnumbered those issues. I believe we had many more of these moments throughout the trip than any other time we have made this yearly trip.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

However, I've heard so much doom and gloom lately about the state of the parks, various cost cutting measures and lacking guest experience so I'm asking as to whether it is still worth pursuing?
Remember one thing, the vast majority of posters on here are multiple time visitors to the land of the mouse. Their comparisons and gripes are made against times when WDW was at its absolute finest, and to be honest a lot are made when people go looking for faults (take a look at all those law suits and those trying to sue a quick buck out of Disney).

There is NOTHING wrong with WDW.

Visitors to WDW still have an exceptional time, Disney still does what Disney has always done best - entertain. The Titanic sank yet people still sail, two aircraft hit the Twin Towers, yet people still fly. You may experience something with which you're not entirely happy - you could get a worse experience in your local top class restaurant - that's life, people are human and so are the cast members at Disney

Take on board what people on here say, but do not go with pre-conceived ideas before you've even starting completing an online booking form.

Upvote 0

JAMMYD778

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice so far peeps. I'm almost certainly going to pursue the Oct/Nov trip, as I'm sure it will be magical for my parents. Is there anything in particular I should be wary of in regards to cost-cutting while planning this trip.

Also, how busy does late March/early April tend to be in regards to my potential first visit solo?

Upvote 0

21stamps

Remember one thing, the vast majority of posters on here are multiple time visitors to the land of the mouse. Their comparisons and gripes are made against times when WDW was at its absolute finest, and to be honest a lot are made when people go looking for faults (take a look at all those law suits and those trying to sue a quick buck out of Disney).

There is NOTHING wrong with WDW.

Visitors to WDW still have an exceptional time, Disney still does what Disney has always done best - entertain. The Titanic sank yet people still sail, two aircraft hit the Twin Towers, yet people still fly. You may experience something with which you're not entirely happy - you could get a worse experience in your local top class restaurant - that's life, people are human and so are the cast members at Disney

Take on board what people on here say, but do not go with pre-conceived ideas before you've even starting completing an online booking form.

This! People look for it. You can find the negative in anything if you try :)

@JAMMYD778 Try to ignore the negativity. It's nearly impossible I know. I try, and fail miserably. 99.9% of the complaints you will read are completely ridiculous, when you read them stop and think for a moment, you'll quickly see that sometimes the problem can be with a person, not the place..wherever you go.
Disney World is an amazing place. It sets a backdrop for wonderful memories that will stay with you forever. The key word there is "Backdrop", your attitude determines how you go through life and vacations :).

I am willing to bet that the majority of people who look back on their time spent at Disney, as a child or an adult, remember specific times with the people they were with... Not if there was a small paint chip on an attraction etc.

Upvote 0

Superpocky

Go visit. It's awesome! The guest service is world class. There is a reason why top companies send their people to Disney to get training on customer service. The parks are very clean and well maintained. It's expensive but you get what you paid for. Go during the off seasons if you can.

Upvote 0

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Thanks for the advice so far peeps. I'm almost certainly going to pursue the Oct/Nov trip, as I'm sure it will be magical for my parents. Is there anything in particular I should be wary of in regards to cost-cutting while planning this trip.

Also, how busy does late March/early April tend to be in regards to my potential first visit solo?
The doom & gloom idiots here rant about cost cutting and many other gripes, but we have seen zero decline in guest service or park cleanliness. Some of these people haven't actually visited in years, but jump on the bandwagon and repeat stuff just to hear themselves talk. Ignore them. You'll have an awesome time.

Just avoid Easter week, and you should be OK with the crowds. We go in the middle of March every year, and we have a great time.

Upvote 0

kaitertot5249

If you are going with a group of adults (no kids in the mix) crowds will bother you less than they would group that has children traveling with them. As long as it's a time of year that is not a popular vacation time or a holiday (as previous posters have mentioned, avoid Easter and the week before and after) you should be fine. The reason for this is simple, a group of adults is able to zig while everyone else is zagging. Families with children aren't able to do this because kids often need more of a set schedule, they get hungry and they need to eat, tired and they need to rest. Adults are able to be more flexible. Try to get to the parks early and stay late (maybe even take a break to grab a drink in the afternoon, or nap!), eat your meals at off times 3pm lunch and 9:30pm dinner will have quick lines or easy reservations and you can spend peak dining hours going on rides while everyone else is eating. As long as you make good use of your FastPasses and know that the crowds have the potential to be higher you will be fine!

My boyfriend and I went on MLK weekend last January and the crows were predicted to be super high. There were a lot of people there but we did not feel like there were too many people or that the lines were too long to be manageable. I woudl say that the longest wait we had was for Winnie the Pooh and it was about 35 minutes. And we had a GREAT trip.

Upvote 0

Frogglet

My husband is a teacher so the only time we can go is prime spring break time. We are still going, it will be our first visit in 17 years and the first trip I have planned (with 2 kids). I have made a decision to make it great despite the crowds. I don't have much advice but I am going to do everything I can to make the best of a crowded situation, hope you do too.

Upvote 0

slipperalwaysfits

My husband is a teacher so the only time we can go is prime spring break time. We are still going, it will be our first visit in 17 years and the first trip I have planned (with 2 kids). I have made a decision to make it great despite the crowds. I don't have much advice but I am going to do everything I can to make the best of a crowded situation, hope you do too.
I'm a teacher, too! What about early June for traveling to WDW? It's crowded but not as bad as Christmas or Spring Break! But I feel your scheduling pain!

Upvote 0

Frogglet

I'm a teacher, too! What about early June for traveling to WDW? It's crowded but not as bad as Christmas or Spring Break! But I feel your scheduling pain!

His district doesn't get out until late June and I work in agriculture so harvest starts as soon as school gets out. I am hoping the right attitude gets us far with the crowds :)

Upvote 0

Zipadeelady

I was just there in July and it was amazing, beautiful, super friendly CM's, HOT, fun, and did I say HOT! :D

Go and have a great time! And eat a Mickey Ice Cream Bar!! They're delicious.:hungry:

Upvote 0

bub72ck

I am currently planning a trip for my retired parents and myself to Orlando/WDW in October/November 2017 as it's always been their lifetime wish to visit.

Furthermore, I'm looking to visit for a week myself (maybe with a friend) for the first time in late March/early April but have heard this may be a busy time. Is it worth visiting for this week so I can get a grasp of the resort so the potential Oct/Nov visit is smooth for my parents or should I hold out until the latter trip?

Any advice is greatly appreciated and hopefully I'll be off to WDW for the first time soon.

Lots of recent experience for me at both of these times. I was there last October 11-16 and this April 10-14. I am also leaving on Saturday for another October trip. I think both of these times of year are great. It tends to be a little hotter in October but the weather is very tolerable at both times. We did the October trip last year with three children in our party and the waits were not bad for most everything. If you have no desire to attend the Halloween party you can visit MK on party days and have plenty of time to get everything in before having to leave at 7:00. I agree with a lot of the other posters in that some people are going to be doom and gloom over everything. The trip will be what you make it and there are A LOT of great things to do at all four parks. I wouldn't say you have to go on a spring trip but why not if you are able? :)

Upvote 0

LeighM

I would look more into going in November. I've been to WDW a few times in October and the heat and humidity can still be really bad. Your parents may have an easier time in November. Also, the crowds in October have been high lately and that might affect their experience as well. I'm not sure how the crowds next year will be though. I think the new pricing structure changed things this year.

And yes, some of those complaining do have valid complaints. I saw some of them my most recent trip as well. But if it was my first trip, I probably wouldn't have noticed. If someone goes in looking for negatives, that will be all they see. I'm glad I had the park hopper option this trip because when the Magic Kingdom was too crowded for me, I could go to another park that was less busy. Or go to Disney Springs for the day and go to another park at night. You and your parents will definitely have a lot of fun!!

Upvote 0

Ricky Spanish

Go.
We ALWAYS have a great time.
The complainers will always find something to complain about.
Nothing ever makes them happy.
I had to come to terms with this fact of life when I owned a franchise.

As far as a Spring visit, we were there this past Easter( Friday 3/25- Thursday 3/31)
It was busy, but manageable.
Used fast passes, got to the parks early, left midday, came back in the evenings.
It wasn't til Wednesday 3/30 that MK was super busy.
But we bailed about 1pm and went back to our resort to chill.
Got back to MK around 7ish and stayed til close- 2am!
Freakin' awesome.
Barely anyone around after midnight.
Rode a ton of rides that nite.

Upvote 0

KBLovedDisney

Visited the parks since I was 5. Regardless of the construction/cast members having a bad day/unruly parents (yes I said parents), I always am ready to go back. I am 30 now. My husband and I went twice this year and we are already planning on going back next spring. It is worth it. My advice though is to plan. Plan plan plan....and plan some more. If you want to eat at certain restaurants, go to certain places, research and plan. You can also pretty much do all of the planning and purchasing the trip packages online, but since this is going to be your first visit, I would call the WDW phone line listed on their website and talk with a Cast member. They will help you set up the vacation and help you with any questions you may have at the time.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom