Advantages of concierge level rooms?

durangojim

We've stayed at many of the deluxe resorts but never in any of the concierge level rooms. Do they offer any benefits besides the food and drinks? Specifically, how good is the concierge? If Le Cellier is booked on a certain night, could they still get us a table like they could if we were staying at a five star resort in another city for a busy restaurant? Thanks!

poohbear6103

We tried to get in to breakfast at 1900 Park Fare the night before what would be a very busy Sunday morning at that restaurant and they could not get us in. They only have so much power I guess :)
The good thing is they can do your itinerary for you. They can make your reservations for your meals and such before you arrive. They are always there to help you switch plans and answer your questions or take care of any requests. And it is nice to have your own private check in. Especially if you come during a busy season, this is a definite plus not to have to do it in the main lobby.
Another plus is location. At the Poly, the Hawaii building in my mind has the best location. Nothing beats stepping out of the pool and walking only a few feet and your already in your longhouse. I am not sure about other hotels and their concierge though. But definitely food and drink are the main plus. We have had good experiences both times we have done it.

Upvote 0

Bravesfn1

We were bumped up to concierge on our last trip at the Boardwalk. The food is a big plus. We ate breakfast there every morning which was good. It was continental style cereals, fruit, bagels etc. I also enjoyed the evening appetizers that came rom ESPN Club and Spoodles. The wings were great! Plus free beer and wine! Although these perks were nice, I don't know if I would be willing to pay the extra money for it. We already had our dinner reservations booked before we got there, so we never really needed any help with that. It was a very memorable stay, the staff at the Boardwalk was great and friendly.

Upvote 0

Discmen

It depends on the hotel. I stayed in the concierge at the Poly and, other than the location, was very dissapointed in the service. At the Boardwalk, however, it was well worth it. One difference is that the concierge desk at the Boardwalk is in the lounge, whereas at the Poly it is downstairs. Having the staff in the lounge really increases their contact with the guests, which is a good thing. As to dining reservations, I don't think that you are guaranteed a spot at a booked resturant, but unless I am wrong they do set aside a certain number of tables for concierge guests. Also, for difficult reservations, you don't have to get on the phone at seven in the morning the day the reservations become available. Just email the concierge prior to that date and they will make the res for you. The food and snacks are a plus, and the evening food at the Boardwalk is excellent. One night they had a dish from the flying fish cafe (seafood stew with clams, shrimp, muscles) that would have cost forty dollars a plate at the resturant. In addition to the beer and wine at night, they also have water and soda all day which they encourage you to take to your room or to the parks if you wish. I don't think you break even, but the cost of snacks and drinks really adds up when a soda costs three dollars a pop.

Upvote 0

isitingood

I stayed at the Grand Floridian 3 weeks ago and the concierge was able to get us in 1900 park fare on a sat morning. But I was told since I stayed at the GF the concierge could get me in any of the GF restaurants.

Upvote 0

Skippy2000

We just got back (late May) from a "double concierge" trip - received a complimentary upgrade to concierge at Beach Club, then moved to Animal Kingdom Lodge where we had reserved (and paid for - in order to go on Sunrise Safari) concierge-level room.

The Beach Club upgrade was magic, of course. At Beach, concierge is a floor unto itself, while at AKL, concierge rooms can be on 5 or 6, while the concierge lounge is on 6 - so less convenient. The food at Beach concierge was plainer than at AKL, but the same-floor location at Beach - plus the private floor - was nicer. We are real advance planners, and only needed concierge help with a restaurant once - which they (at AKL) were unable to do. At Beach the food - or at least, some food - was out all day, but at AKL they took everything in by mid-morning. The one real shortcoming for concierge, in our opinion, is that it closes (10 PM) too soon. We tend to be real heavy-duty park-goers, and usually don't arrive back at the hotel until after 10 - when some food and drinks would have been much appreciated. We got most use of the concierge lounges on those (2 out of 10) days where we declared a mid-day break and went back for some relaxation.

Would we do it again? Not sure. The staff were very nice and welcoming, but I wouldn't leave all my reservations in their hands at the last minute and risk not getting in places where we had counted on. If one does most of their own planning and reservation-making, the value of concierge becomes the food - if you're there at the right times - the ambience, and the opportunity for last minute help. But that Beach Club upgrade sure made for a wonderful start to our trip! You might want to research (on Deb's site?) various concierge reports. Some resort concierge experiences are definitely better than others. Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

tecowdw

I've experienced concierge at the Polynesian, Yacht Club, AKL and WL. Of all of them, the Polynesian has the best location and WL had the best food offerings. I generally have little need for a concierge so my experiences are more based on either the "feel like someone special" or "want the best location" aspect.

You will get much more value from it if you are a breakfast eater and plan to eat there in the evenings. However, if you are a park commando, you might not be around enough to utilize those offerings. I'm a resort person so I get much more value when looking at the "feel like someone special" aspect. You will also get more value if you need alot of trip planning both before and after arrival by utilizing the concierge services. I don't need that stuff so it means less. They all provide unlimited drinks and have special access only by key card.

The WL concierge runs about $125 more than standard room per night. I thought the food offerings made that one more worth it as they were more my style than the Poly and AKL offered. The WL room locations left something to be desired though (the dormer rooms). The concierge desks (more like podiums) are in a stupid, tiny area near the elevators. The lounge is nice and roomy with seating all around the lobby concourse of the 7th floor. Was never crowded during my visit ~ only saw one or two other parties the whole time. Wins my heart with the food but only partly gains it for the feel special part.

The Poly location can't be beat. This is about the best place that seems like the place was built for the concierge to be right where it is ~ doesn't have that "concierge was added later" feeling. Rooms are not the largest at that resort though (no double sinks) and evening food offerings are not to my liking (one night is even sushi). The whole lounge is three levels high with plenty of room and separated from the guest rooms by a door on all three levels. Wins my heart for location and design/decor but not so much for food.

The Yacht Club was fine. The concierge desks are kind of in an appropriate place looking place but they are right there as soon as you get off the elevator and it can get crowded. Sadly, my room didn't have two beds (although they tried) so I ended with with a roll-away which was not that comfortable. The room was great otherwise. Had a nifty roll-out desk, dvd player and well furnished with a curtain in the center of the room, dividing it in half. Lounge was pretty well sized and organized. Room seemed to be the same size as a standard room. Food was just okay in my opinion. Doesn't really win my heart in any aspect and wouldn't be worth full price.

The AKL concierge was nice also. The food offerings were practically non-existent during my visit though. Sparse pickings indeed. Lounge was very nice though and the African smoothie is to die for. Some of the concierge rooms are on the non-keyed floor below so that was sometimes a walk between the lounge and the room, through a gate (or elevator). I admit, it felt special to be able to go through the locked gate though. I was somebody! Concierge rooms are larger than the standard rooms too. They get a D for food offerings from me but it was nice decor even with the multi-floor layout.

Overall, it's about how you feel about concierge and how much you might use them. It does give you that special feeling, especially the first time. I say if you have never done it, try it. You may just get spoiled or learn that it isn't worth it. Of course, the more you use of it, the more value you will get from it. Caution - if you are a "it's just a place to sleep" type, don't bother with concierge.

Troy

P.S. If you are ever upgraded to concierge for free...OH MY GOSH! What a treat you will enjoy!!
:king:

Upvote 0

durangojim

Original Poster
We're going back to the GF in September and always stay with a lagoon view room. We've never not had a view of the castle and really that, the ambience of the grand floridian and the convenience of the monorail are the mail reasons we like to stay there. We usually have a light breakfast or have a character breakfast. From what it sounds like the concierge level wouldn't really do anything more for us, and in fact we may not have as nice a view. I was looking for it more in terms of service -- getting us into a booked restaurant and other things like that. When we've stayed at hotels like the Drake and the Waldorf, we always take advantage of the concierge for dining reservations and theater tickets. I can understand this not being possible at Disney, and I even agree with it, to me it just doesn't seem worth the extra money for the service you receive, even though we've never experience it here. Thanks for all the replys.

Upvote 0

tecowdw

durangojim said:
We're going back to the GF in September and always stay with a lagoon view room. We've never not had a view of the castle and really that, the ambiance of the grand Floridian and the convenience of the monorail are the mail reasons we like to stay there. We usually have a light breakfast or have a character breakfast. From what it sounds like the concierge level wouldn't really do anything more for us, and in fact we may not have as nice a view. I was looking for it more in terms of service -- getting us into a booked restaurant and other things like that. When we've stayed at hotels like the Drake and the Waldorf, we always take advantage of the concierge for dining reservations and theater tickets. I can understand this not being possible at Disney, and I even agree with it, to me it just doesn't seem worth the extra money for the service you receive, even though we've never experience it here. Thanks for all the replies.
Nope ~ if your purpose is to get those last minute bookings at restaurants and get you admission tickets, then it is probably not worth it. The Disney concierge doesn't operate exactly like other hotel concierge services.

Case in point, I asked a concierge at the Poly if they could arrange to have the Orlando Sentinel delivered to my room in place of the USA Today. I was basically told no but I could purchase one in the lobby. In a big city hotel, the concierge would have likely gone out and bought & delivered one for me each day. Disney concierge cast members are not the types to go all over town to get a guest whatever they want ~ they stick to the basics only.

Upvote 0

sneaksbeac

Ok so myself and my girlfriend are traveling in May, and I am planning on doing a MYW with Dining pass. But would it be useless to get the dining if i go with the Concierge since the food is there in the lounge, I know its not three course meals but you guys seem to have a good head on your shoulders which way would you go?

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

The Club Level Concierge amenities and services are as follows for all 8 Disney Deluxe Resorts:

Advanced WDW Itinerary Planning service
Personalized Front Desk and Concierge service
Evening Turndown Service with chocolates
Two spa-style robes are provided for in-room use. (additional robes may be requested)
Beds are triple sheeted
Additional bath amenities
Secured Key Access to Club Level floors
Exclusive Access to Club Level Lounge
Complimentary Health Club Access
Weekday newspaper delivery of USA Today
Complimentary Fax Assistance
Exclusive opportunity to book and experience Wildlife Discovery Excursion at Disney's Animal Kingdom

Club Level Lounge Refreshments are as follows:

Morning Offerings: 7:00am - 10:30am - Pastries, Fruit, Cereal, and Beverages
Afternoon Snacks: 11:30am - 4:00pm - Cookies, Crudites, Dips, and Beverages
Evening Offerings: 5:00pm - 7:00pm - Hot Item samples from resort restaurants, Cheese tray, Wine and Beer
Cordials and Dessert: 8:00pm - 10:00pm - Assorted Desserts, Cordials
All Day: 7:00am - 10:00pm - Whole fresh fruit, Beverages

The Club Level Itinerary Planning Office will contact Club Guests within 30-60 days prior to their arrival to assist with any Pre-Arrival Itinerary request including:

Dining Reservations
Tour Reservations
Childcare Arrangements
Recreational Activities
Golf Tee Times
Transportation Arrangements
And any other guest request

Guests may also contact their Club Level Itinerary Planning Office directly by phone, fax or e-mail.

Arriving Guest may identify themselves as Club Guest to Bell Stand to be directed to a private check-in location.

Club Level Cast Members are available from 7 am to 10 pm to assist our Club Level Guests with check in, dining reservations, childcare arrangements, recreational activities, tours, transportation arrangements, and any other needs they may have.

Each Club Level Lounge has a limited selection of DVD's are available for Club Level Guest to enjoy. Note DVD players are available in select Suites only.

Please Note: The Club Level Cast has access to the same Dine Reservation System and table availablity as all other dine reservation sources such as Lobby Conceirge, Disney Restuarant Podiums, and Disney Dining (407-WDW-DINE.) If the location is sold out, Club Level Cast DO NOT have the ability to create additional availabilty, but they will keep trying for you and will alert you if a table becomes available.

Upvote 0

mousermerf

Account Suspended
JP, just so you know, DVD players were my standard conc. room when I did concierge at WL (I was admittedly in the connecting room to the presidential suite though, so who knows about the others). And I've heard that all of the rooms that just reopened on Contemporary's 12th floor have DVD playters now too. So, they're expanding from just the suites.

Upvote 0

JPVonDrake

mousermerf said:
JP, just so you know, DVD players were my standard conc. room when I did concierge at WL (I was admittedly in the connecting room to the presidential suite though, so who knows about the others). And I've heard that all of the rooms that just reopened on Contemporary's 12th floor have DVD playters now too. So, they're expanding from just the suites.

Correct. As the rooms at each deluxe resort are remodeled, plans call for the Club Level rooms to get DVD players along with the flat screen TVs. Currently this is not a standard amenity nor are DVD players available upon request just yet at all the Deluxe Resort Club Level rooms.

Upvote 0
I have a family of five and found it well worth the money.Im trying to get Poly garden view for 3 nights after the Disney cruise but nothing available except lagoon view but they over priced those rooms.I would hate paying all that money and getting a 2nd floor room that has no balcony.We go to Disney two or three times a year and never got any upgrades.I have hinted a few times for a upgrade and was told we don't upgrade so if anyone gets one and it seems alot say they do then I quess your very lucky.I booked a tower room at the contemporary with park view last year and was given a bay view.When I went back down to the desk I was told no rooms where available for park view and I asked what they are going to do for the mix up and they asked me if I wanted I could pay for a concierge room to get the park view so that's why I dont believe any free upgrade stories to the concierge level.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom