Adult question

rev

Does Disneyworld host a gay week, weekend or day?

I'm not passing judgement, just planning around seasonal events

Thanks!:cool:

JBSLJames

Originally posted by disneyfan@paris
OK everybody...let's clarify this a little, before we get lost in the subject of Country Bears (or a

Let me quick to clarify. I was kidding about the Country Bears. Especially with who made the first mention (standing at attention for the General).

The movie wasn't too horrible and my kids did enjoy it and that's the important part, right?

As for the Mustaches, I keep picturing Queen's lead singer, Freddie Mercury, God Rest His Soul. And the thought of seeing thousands of Freddies is a wee bit frightening.

Upvote 0

disneyfan@paris

OK everybody...let's clarify this a little, before we get lost in the subject of Country Bears (or any type of bears for that matter, even though it is Gay Day).

There are two official websites: www.gaydays.com. and www.gayday.com.

Many years ago, way back in 1990, a group of enterprising gay and gay-friendly Guests decided to spend together in the Magic Kingdom at WDW. Thanks to their contacts (local bars and internet friends) this has now become a week-long event taking place throughout the Orlando area, although the high point is still the traditional day in the MK on the first weekend in June. With about 125,000 Guests attending, it has really made its mark on the Orlando area and in 2001, the first Gay Cruise took place (unofficially) on the Disney Magic. Basically, this was an extension to the weekend where some small groups went cruising. Literally!

Traditionally, Guests are encouraged “to wear red and to be seen” so that they can recognise each other in the MK. However, I would note that the atmosphere is very relaxed and that, despite what some people fear, there is really no “overbearing” atmosphere. I find that there is always a core of Southerners who tend to object (and all y’all know who you are) but in general everybody is well behaved and the rules are followed very well. Because Gaydays is self-regulating, the code of conduct is scrupulous, as they are aware that one person can damage the image of the entire weekend. Do not fear that your weekend will be ruined because of the presence of so many gay people, what is important is that there will be a higher volume of Guests in the Parks.

Worth noting that this is also now taking place at Disneyland Resort Paris, and that the first weekend in October is reserved for the traditional Gay Day weekend. As this is also when DLRP traditional launch their Halloween season, this whole weekend has been renamed HalloQween (go figure!). Whilst at WDW, red T-shirts are the order of the day, wearing white is the unofficial call sign at DLRP (who on earth decided on white? It’s freezing cold in October and white is hardly flattering at the best of times…)

It took place last year for the first time in 2003, was relatively well attended despite the last minute nature of the event, and there were private parties held afterwards in the bar of Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. Apparently, the organisation for 2004 should be better, as it will involve the international press a bit more, and it is scheduled for the weekend of 2-3 October 2004. For more info look on www.gaykrant.nl.

I hope this will help everybody and clarify exactly what this weekend is all about.

Bye-bye.

http://www.needmagic.com

Upvote 0

civileng68

Account Suspended
FUNNY

Originally posted by disneyfan@paris
I find that there is always a core of Southerners who tend to object (and all y’all know who you are) but in general everybody is well behaved and the rules are followed very well.

In such a great effort to be politically correct you seemed to have lashed a racial ideal at the southerners on this board.

Sorry, but I dont feel that being southern makes you racist or partial to anything anymore than anyone else. This is not 50 years ago, or even longer. Now, you must also realize that the south is known as the "Bible Belt" and because of strong religious beliefs in the south (even though they are everywhere, and just labled in the south) people tend to want to keep their children away from things they dont believe in.

Just as a muslim would not take their child into a Christian church. It's just a matter of belief and faith.

I do disagree with those who belittle and show outrage age the gay community because in my opinion as a Christian you should love them and pray for them. However, not cast a stone at them. In return though you must ask the gay community to not openly display their affection in public as they openly know it is offensive to others. I would not do something in public that I know is offensive to someone.

However, I hear that PDA isnt a big issue from some and from others they say that have seen it. Now without casting any stones or passing judgment or slamming on anyone. If that day was to happen on my trip. For my child's sake I would stay away.

I feel that is the appropriate thing to do and the most unoffensive way to say it.

Just please dont go saying southern people are the only one's with a problem against it. That's just not true.

Upvote 0

djmatthews

Re: FUNNY

Originally posted by civileng68
In return though you must ask the gay community to not openly display their affection in public as they openly know it is offensive to others. I would not do something in public that I know is offensive to someone.

If you are going to say that then you have to say that there should be no public displys of affection. Hetrosexual PDA can cause offensive people too.

Upvote 0

civileng68

Account Suspended
Re: Re: FUNNY

Originally posted by djmatthews
If you are going to say that then you have to say that there should be no public displys of affection. Hetrosexual PDA can cause offensive people too.

well im not going to get into some politically correct debate but I think we all can summise that the two are completely different.

Now, I dont believe in PDA anyways, and sure I may occassionally give my wife a nice little peck while sharing out time at Disney World together.

However, I think what I was trying to convey, and clearly stated was, I would not do something that was obviously offensive to others. I dont think giving my wife a SMALL kiss at the MK is offensive to anyone. If it is, it's the extreme minority. However, I think the homosexual community and everyone else would have to admit that two men for example, kissing at the parks with children everywhere may be found offensive by some parents because they are trying to shelter their children in some form at certain ages.

I really dont know how you can compare the two and I dont understand how a homosexual person would not agree. Listen, lets be adults. I am not slamming on the homosexual community and think I've done probably the most credibly form of stating my opinion without stepping on toes. I can say I disagree with you and it shouldnt be a problem if I respect you.

However, surely you can understand how a man and man kissing is different than a husband and wife peck. Surely you see the difference.

Upvote 0

civileng68

Account Suspended
Re: Re: Re: FUNNY

Originally posted by civileng68
well im not going to get into some politically correct debate but I think we all can summise that the two are completely different.

Now, I dont believe in PDA anyways, and sure I may occassionally give my wife a nice little peck while sharing out time at Disney World together.

However, I think what I was trying to convey, and clearly stated was, I would not do something that was obviously offensive to others. I dont think giving my wife a SMALL kiss at the MK is offensive to anyone. If it is, it's the extreme minority. However, I think the homosexual community and everyone else would have to admit that two men for example, kissing at the parks with children everywhere may be found offensive by some parents because they are trying to shelter their children in some form at certain ages.

I really dont know how you can compare the two and I dont understand how a homosexual person would not agree. Listen, lets be adults. I am not slamming on the homosexual community and think I've done probably the most credibly form of stating my opinion without stepping on toes. I can say I disagree with you and it shouldnt be a problem if I respect you.

However, surely you can understand how a man and man kissing is different than a husband and wife peck. Surely you see the difference.

Now, with that said, I'd be the first one to turn to my wife with irritation if I saw two people really getting deep into something while in the park.

Upvote 0

aim

I was at WDW last summer during Gay Days. We found out after we made the plans (even though it wouldn't have changed them). To avoid the big crowds, we went to the website before we left to see where the "official" park meeting would be for what days and decided from there. It's that simple. You would not believe how pretty empty the other parks were! So, just go to the website to find out more.

Gay Days really isn't that bad. At least in the parks last year. I never saw PDA. We went to E-ride nights on a Friday, while we saw many "red shirts" as some call them, we saw nothing to get mad over.

Upvote 0

cherrynegra

Re: Re: FUNNY

Originally posted by djmatthews

I just wanted to throw my cents in about this particular issue. I for one am a member of that "red shirt" wearing community, though I haven't been at the parks on gay days, particularly like wearing red shirts, or have a handlebar mustache. Yuck!! Like someone posted earlier, let's not generalize.

I have to say that I don't care if you're straight, gay, bisexual, whatever!! I did not pay mucho bucks at the gate just to see two people of different sexes or both sexes going at it as if it were the last days of planet Earth before the sun went supernova. Please people, straight and gay, there are 14,000 rooms at WDW. Get one.

I am offended by any EXCESSIVE displays of PDA whether it's perpetrated by heteros or homos. Holding hands or arm in arm or simple pecks are not offensive to me from either camp. Making out as if you were auditioning for an adult film for either camp is. Just my feelings on the matter.

Upvote 0

civileng68

Account Suspended

Originally posted by cherrynegra
I just wanted to throw my cents in about this particular issue. I for one am a member of that "red shirt" wearing community, though I haven't been at the parks on gay days, particularly like wearing red shirts, or have a handlebar mustache. Yuck!! Like someone posted earlier, let's not generalize.

I have to say that I don't care if you're straight, gay, bisexual, whatever!! I did not pay mucho bucks at the gate just to see two people of different sexes or both sexes going at it as if it were the last days of planet Earth before the sun went supernova. Please people, straight and gay, there are 14,000 rooms at WDW. Get one.

I am offended by any EXCESSIVE displays of PDA whether it's perpetrated by heteros or homos. Holding hands or arm in arm or simple pecks are not offensive to me from either camp. Making out as if you were auditioning for an adult film for either camp is. Just my feelings on the matter.

If everyone would abide by that, I think I'd be cool with it.

I think some people interpret anyone who feels differently than they do, to be hateful towards them, and it's not the case.

I simply feel that everyone has opinions and has a right to believe what they do and that every choice we make is either part of the norm or not part of the norm and no matter what it is, for the sake and respect of others around me, I would not do anything out of the norm. Im not a statement maker and dont believe in making public statements (Aka: Janet Jackson) for no real purpose other than to offend someone.

I have no problem with the homosexual crowd wearing their red shirts, but that doesnt mean I want to see one grabbing another one's butt, but then again, I wouldnt grab my wife's in public. That's my point. We're not asking anything other than it to be respectful.

I wouldnt slip my wife the tongue in public so I'd appreciate not seeing the same from ANYONE else.. When you do that stuff you generally are doing it knowing people are watching. Including children.

I agree with this poster above................get a room. There's plenty to go around.

I've actually had two gay friends in the past. They moved away so I dont see them anymore. No I didnt believe in their ways............but you know what, they were respectful and you would not have even known they were gay if you met them.

I am a very open minded person. I am a strong Christian and am set in my ways and have very strong faith, but you know. ...........my best friend in the world is Mormon and I love that guy to death. He was in my wife and I's wedding. but, you know what......................we're respectful of our differences, and in doing that, we dont push anything on each other. That's what needs to happen on any related issue, such as Gay day.

That was all I was saying.

Upvote 0

cherrynegra

I think in the end civileng68 you and I are saying the same thing. I just think there are certain types of behavior that are inappropriate in public. Making out being one of them. However, I know what may be considered harmless to one group is offensive to another. For instance, there are groups that would consider you and your wife holding hands or even a quick peck on the cheek to be inappropriate. It's all a matter of perspective, and being respectful and considerate of the people around you. Afterall, I would hate to intentionally do anything that would deminish or detract from someone's enjoyment at WDW.

But this is good. Open, considerate, and reasoned conversations about issues is how people from different camps come to understand and respect each other.

Upvote 0

SlideOperatorCP

I was at wdw for 2 gay days... 2002 and 2003... 2002 I was working at BB and 2003 I was a guest at MK

My advice would simply be, if you think for any reason that you might be offended then don't go! Even if you have a tiny feeling, just don't go, you would be asking for trouble.

I was not offended but I know from very very many faces of parents that they were offended.

A lot of the couples were older gentlemen who were clearly in love and obviously respectful, not because they were gay and trying not to offend, but because they were gentlemen. They would hold hands and maybe give each other a kiss here and there but nothing offensive. (who can resist a quick peck in front of the castle?!:kiss:)

But then there were lots of younger men (a lot of teens) who weren;t as respectful. One of the guys said one of the most offensive things I have ever heard said out loud in front of children ever SOOOO LOUD! And it's too bad that a few bad apples had to spoil it, because I thought it was amazing for the older couples to be alble to walk around on a day made just for them in the happiest place on earth, something that may have never thought possible years ago. It was almost as if some (not all) of the younger guys didn't appreciate the day.
And I know that was the case in a few cases because my gay roomates went and were some of the offensive ones, doing and saying anything they wanted in front of the thousands of children at mk.

So in short, plan around it if you might have a problem with it.... it is WAY too crowded anyway!

Upvote 0

jodez21

Originally posted by bearboysnc
Droopy Moustaches? Were they from Canada?

wat r ya talkin aboot!?! is there ne racism goin on here towards us canadians?!? cause if there is, i beat all of u... at hockey eh!:p :sohappy::animwink: (and btw i'm canadian!:p)

Upvote 0

barnum42

Originally posted by cherrynegra
..or have a handlebar mustache. Yuck!! Like someone posted earlier

That would have been me who made that post. Whilst I phrased it in what I hope is an amusing manner, it was also factual. I kid you not – a much greater than average percentage of the gents on the ferry were sporting significant upper lip growth!.

Holding hands or arm in arm or simple pecks are not offensive to me from either camp.

"From either camp " - was that an intended pun? :lol:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom