Adding on points

Disneykidder

Original Poster
HI all,

For those adding on pros, please lend me your expertise.

I'd like to add on within the next year. I'm guessing it would be beneficial to try and get the same use year? We are March and purchased direct through Disney. Would Disney grant me that or do I just get what I get? What are the current prices for VGF? Maybe I should just wait and get the Poly. Is there a minimum amount I can purchase? Is it a pain to sync up two contracts when booking? Should I go resale this time?

Sorry for all the questions but thanks in advance. :)

harryk

Have added points several times to VWL and each time I have maintained the original use year of the original purchase. My use year is August. Resale is a problem if you want to use points outside of the park system, i.e. outside the DVC system.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
HI all,

For those adding on pros, please lend me your expertise.

I'd like to add on within the next year. I'm guessing it would be beneficial to try and get the same use year? We are March and purchased direct through Disney. Would Disney grant me that or do I just get what I get? What are the current prices for VGF? Maybe I should just wait and get the Poly. Is there a minimum amount I can purchase? Is it a pain to sync up two contracts when booking? Should I go resale this time?

Sorry for all the questions but thanks in advance. :)
Yes, it would be beneficial to get the same use year. That way, you receive all of your yearly allotment at the same time, and you don't have to think very hard about if you have enough points for a particular reservation. If you receive points in 2 different months, your 7 month booking window will be different for each, and you can only use those available points for a reservation. Too much of a hassle.

When you wish to add-on, if you go directly through Disney, then you simply tell your guide that you wish to add-on, how many points, and keep the same use year. We have done that, and they are always willing to work with you. If you go resale, just look for one with the same use year as yours.
VGF is currently at $165 direct with no promotions. If you are adding on, the minimum is 25 points. New purchases have a 100 point minimum.

It is not a pain to sync up 2 contracts (or even 3 or 4) if you have the same use year. When you make a reservation on-line, you can pick from whichever contract you wish for the reservation. If you call, then the same rule applies - just let the CM know which contract to pull the points from.

Resale is a question that a lot of people ask. There are now certain restrictions on the resale points, but if you are never going to use the points for Adventures by Disney, a cruise, or the Disney Collection (non-DVC resorts), then you will save money by going resale. If you think there is even the possibility that you would want to use the points for other than DVC (like staying on points at Disneyland Paris or Tokyo Resort or a non-DVC resort at WDW) then you will need to purchase direct.

A quick story. A few years ago, we had to cancel a trip at the last minute and our points had to go into holding. This only allows you to book 60 days or less in advance. When we were then able to reserve the trip, all DVC resorts were booked solid. In order not to lose the points, we used our points at POR. Maybe not the best use, but we still got to take a trip for only the $95 fee. If we had bought resale instead of direct, we would have probably lost the points for that use year.

dreamfinder

If they are the same use year they should both end up under the same number, even though they are maintained as two separate deeds. Different use year/resort is different numbers. Makes it a bit more complex to keep track of. Not impossible, just harder.
If you buy direct, being able to buy the smaller deeds may be beneficial. They do seem to be commanding a higher per point price on the secondary, just because people want to add on without buying tons of points. Even if you decide to buy 50 points direct (or more) you can have them split it up into smaller deeds. You are however paying much higher upfront. In either case, buying direct or resale you may end up having to wait for the right number of points/use year. Unless the property is actively available for sale, DVC would need to exercise ROFR on a deed on sale in the secondary that meets your criteria to sell it to you.

Disneykidder

Original Poster
Thanks all. We are definitely adding on a decent sized amount. The goal is 3 contracts because we have 3 children. I will definitely make sure the use year is the same. I just need to decide whether I want to do resale or not. I will probably never use it for the cruise or Adventures by Disney but would like to go to Disney Tokyo and France. If I do go direct, I am debating VGF or waiting for Poly...too many decisions. :arghh:

SharonD

I agree same Use Year is easier. But, there are times having a different Use Year can make sense. If you want the 11 month advantage at two different resorts for a specific time of the year, it may be better to have two different Use Years. For example, you know you always want to book at BCV for Food & Wine, so you purchased a September Use Year for your first contract.

You decide to add on, and know your other vacation will be spring break, so you buy a second contract at BLT (just an example) with a March Use Year.

This approach assumes you have enough points in each contract to make the effort worthwhile managing the two separate Use Years. And, to clarify, the only advantage to the separate Use Years is to give some protection if you have to cancel your plans, it doesn't affect your booking window.

Disneykidder

Original Poster
What would the current cost be if I purchased direct through Disney on, say, Saratoga or BLT? Same price as VGF??

dreamfinder

Wow...thanks!!! I'm thinking resale is the way to go now.

As long as you don't need to have points at one of the newer resorts, and plan on using your points for DVC only stays (so aren't affected by the restrictions on cruises and ABD) no reason not to at least consider resale.

Bparso87

If you buy through Disney they will only let you have the same use year. This is something that I think just happened. When is your use year try to buy the month before your year is up because they will give you previous years points if bought through Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom