Add trains instead of Monorails.

Disneyland1970

Original Poster
If extending the Monorails is to expensive, how about some sort of steam train (like WDW Railroad) to carry passengers to AK and MGM. They could be themed for the respective destination.. I can see pre WWII train with chicken coops(SP) and wooden crates hauling people to AK. Maybe something you would have seen in an Indy Jones movie. For MGM you could have a 40's verison of the Southern Pacific Coast Daylighter for that destination. I don't believe it to be too expensive for rail bed, and the trains themselves should be cheaper than a monorail. I'm not sure about right of ways and crossings
for the trains, but if the cost of 1 mil for each section of monorail track is correct, then this would have to be cheaper you would think??
I know there is value and flexibility to busses, but there is no MAGIC! I know they do a good job of servicing the guests, but I just get an overwhelming dose of BLAH when I ride them. The trains could be picked up from a wing at the TTC so the connections to the other parks could be smooth. Maybe even a stop at BB for the AK train. Just a thought?

Whatcha think? :wave:

Mission: SPACE

It's a good idea, but even though MGM and AK are relatively close, I think they are still too far away to make this a feasible option. The roadways are already existing, and I really don't think they'd invest in land clearing and railway construction, as well as any other costs involved. You'd also have to account for a few road crossings, at least three. Not to mention, one of these would be over the 6 lanes plus huge median of World Drive. Plus the closest route is blocked by Blizzard Beach, and on the other side of the road is Coranado Springs. So to bypass all these areas the rails would have to circle about, making for a half hour train ride.

Essentially, the idea is full of Disney magic, but it lacks feasibility.

SIR90210 said:
Isn't that what everyone said about Disneyland right before it opened?

Not that I remember reading...

I don't ever remember reading or hearing anyone having questioned the feasibility of Disneyland. They did some of Walt's films (such as Fantasia, which did flop), but I don't know of any negative public opinion on Disneyland.

Logistically it just doesn't work. Look at a map of the property. When you leave AK and head toward MGM, on Osceola Parkway, you will run into BB. To bypass BB, you'd have to either go along Buena Vista Drive, running into Coradado Springs. The other option from here would be to cross Osceola Parkway and Cross Buena Vista Drive between McDonald's (which isn't very Disneyesque) and the All Star security gate. No matter which of these you chose, you'd have to cross World Drive, which is a good 200-250 feet.

Essentially, it's a FANTASTIC idea if the parks were adjacent to each other, but, unfortunately, they aren't. The idea is full of Disney magic, but the reality that does exist on the property restrains it from becoming what it could be. Even if something as said were built, it would take longer to ride the train than it would to wait on the bus AND ride it to and from each park. It's not that I was degrading his idea, I was just stating that due to reality, the idea would be almost impossible to make a reality.

No harm meant, just trying to use constructive criticism! :wave:

SIR90210 said:
While that is all true, woud it be possible to build bridges over the major roads?

It would be possible to build bridges over the major roads, but is that really your idea of a train ride? a ride over top of the largest road in all of WDW?

Take a look at this picture I put in my photo album. Notice what I was discussing. BB takes up the land around the road by "Disney's Blizzard Beach Water Park". To route around that, you would have to go south of Osceola Parkway, in plain sight of McDonald's, which doesn't seem to be neither exotic nor movie related. From there it would have to either cross back over Osceola Parkway, then cross World Drive (north of Osceola) or be routed further south to cross World Drive south of Osceola Parkway. The other, longer path would have to be routed around the northern side of Coranado, over Buena Vista Blvd, across World Drive, and then around and somehow into the parking lot.

Simply put, there's so much to route around and over the route really isn't logistical, especially considering the high cost to construct bridges, clear the land, etc. when roadways run right to the different parks. I agree that the busses scream 'real world' and are not very magical, but the only geographically logistical option unfortunately is is not financially logistical, ie the monorail. Even without going into the amount of time it would take the train to travel to and from the parks, it's obvious the idea is restricted by the reality of the surroundings. That's 2 to 2 1/2 miles of railway, and not moving at a high speed. Even if the train was there waiting on you at the station, it would take just as long or longer to get from one park to the other.

And also consider getting to the gate at MGM. It's already confusing enough between WDW Transports, Disabled Parking, and Bus Parking. I have not a clue how they would get that train even near the main gate of the park, without clearing out the CM parking lot close to Indy and Star Tours. Then it would still be quite a hike...

7L-WDW

So how would the routing of a Monorail differ from Track and Train ? apart from speed !
With Bus's you have a freqence with suppy and demand .. with a Train there will be waiting time ..

The routing of a monorail wouldn't be that much different, but the monorail would travel at 40 mph as opposed to a train, traveling at 10-15 mph, max.

7L-WDW

There is a Guest preferance over Bus's .. I did some site work at a small Park (It made SP look spanking)/ 4 Hotel complex in the south of Italy last year , They have 2 RoadTrains to take guests to the beach with Bus's at peak times .. People stood waiting for the trains and waved the bus's by..

I understand that there might be a preference over busses. I am one who'd rather not ride a transit bus to get from one place to another. But I'm also one who doesn't want to wait 20 minutes to ride an (already) slow form of transportation. At this point I drive to and from the parks in my own car. I can get from TTC to AK in 5 minutes, literally. To do that on the busses would be a 0-20 minute wait, plus a 20 minute bus ride.

My point is, the busses are already slow. A train is even slower. And the construction of railroad tracks around all pre-existing structures would be too complicated to make it a feasible option. Any feasible form of transportation from park to park would either have to utilize the road system in place or be above the ground and fast moving (aka monorail or light rail system, such as the concepts for transportation in the original EPCOT. Imagine TTA with larger, roomier cars.).

After thinking about it, something such as the WEDway PeopleMover concepts to be used in the city EPCOT would be ideal, depending upon the cost to elevate track. Even if the track was only elevated when approaching roadways, this makes more sense than a slow moving train. And it's something Walt would approve of.

what about making tunnels under the major roadways, instead of building bridges above the roads, build underneath them...I don't think that would work, but hey, I can dream...lol

Dukeis#1

I'm sure Steam Trains cost MUCH more to maintain than the Monorails, which in the end is probably why this idea wouln't work. Now, if the trains were pulled by electric locomotives, or if it was something like a high speed light-rail train, then I could see it as a feasable alternative to the Monorail.

(Coming from a rail fan's POV) It's not that the steam trains are too slow...Any of the locomotives at the Magic Kingdom could easily travel faster than a Monorail. ;) The problem is Disney safety standards wouldn't allow it. The trains at WDW must remain under 12 mph at all times.

Under the conditions that Disney runs the trains in, the heavy regulations are required to make sure that everything is safe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom