Actual Insiders vs Wannabe Insiders

Raineman

Original Poster
I've been a member here for 10 years now, and I've seen alot of people posting and commenting about having inside information, and talking like they have a source that works for Disney. To these people I ask-what makes you think that we should believe you? Unless you actually know someone at WDI/Disney corporate, why should we put any faith in what you say? Outside of Martin and a few others, everyone saying that they have inside info or a source should be taken with a pound of salt. A bus driver, a CM selling churros or your cousin that knows someone that has a brother that works in low level Disney management are not legitimate sources, and you aren't impressing anyone by trying to sound like you know more than anyone else. Sorry about the rant, but it has been a pet peeve of mine for a decade now.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I've been a member here for 10 years now, and I've seen alot of people posting and commenting about having inside information, and talking like they have a source that works for Disney. To these people I ask-what makes you think that we should believe you? Unless you actually know someone at WDI/Disney corporate, why should we put any faith in what you say? Outside of Martin and a few others, everyone saying that they have inside info or a source should be taken with a pound of salt. A bus driver, a CM selling churros or your cousin that knows someone that has a brother that works in low level Disney management are not legitimate sources, and you aren't impressing anyone by trying to sound like you know more than anyone else. Sorry about the rant, but it has been a pet peeve of mine for a decade now.
Something to keep in mind. There are insiders posting here who never get a mention, and stay well below the radar.

Raineman

Original Poster
Something to keep in mind. There are insiders posting here who never get a mention, and stay well below the radar.
Which makes me think that the ones who do not stay below the radar, and are always posting their "info", are most likely the ones that are the wannabees. Just like in normal life, the ones who are the loudest are usually the ones that have no idea what they are talking about even though they think they do.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Which makes me think that the ones who do not stay below the radar, and are always posting their "info", are most likely the ones that are the wannabees. Just like in normal life, the ones who are the loudest are usually the ones that have no idea what they are talking about even though they think they do.
I've seen many occasions where someone who I know is very well connected give a reply that is absolutely the right info, and it all gets bypassed because the poster is unknown.

Raineman

Original Poster
I've seen many occasions where someone who I know is very well connected give a reply that is absolutely the right info, and it all gets bypassed because the poster is unknown.
It's too bad that we can't separate those people from the others. Outside of the few more well known members like that, you just never know if you are getting the right information. It still makes for good speculation and discussion, though, I guess.

DisneyHead123

This seems kinda harsh. Personally, I want to hear from everyone. Did you hear a rumor from the guy who sells churros?! Bring it!! Your cousin's roommate's childhood babysitter's dog walker says they know an Imagineer? Spill the tea!! You had a vivid hypnogogic dream last night that you are convinced represents Disney's plan for Villains?! Share! (I mean, abbreviate, because dream stories tend to be long and perplexing, but once you have an abbreviated version - share!)

As a casual observer here since roughly Covid, it seems to me that the pattern is always the same anyways. If something is fairly likely, you hear it from multiple people. From the Mysterious Insider With Street Cred to, well, the churro guy. It's rare to never, that I have seen, that a legitimate rumor has one and only one source. So really, looking at the distribution of mentions is the easiest way to separate the wheat from the chaff in terms of rumors. And then there are always things that seem to come out of the blue, that get basically no mentions (I mean maybe super vague ones, but never anything specific).

In summation - crowdsourcing is usually the safest bet. Crowdsourcing takes small crowds. So I'm not here to discourage anyone from sharing.

Raineman

Original Poster
This seems kinda harsh. Personally, I want to hear from everyone. Did you hear a rumor from the guy who sells churros?! Bring it!! Your cousin's roommate's childhood babysitter's dog walker says they know an Imagineer? Spill the tea!! You had a vivid hypnogogic dream last night that you are convinced represents Disney's plan for Villains?! Share! (I mean, abbreviate, because dream stories tend to be long and perplexing, but once you have an abbreviated version - share!)

As a casual observer here since roughly Covid, it seems to me that the pattern is always the same anyways. If something is fairly likely, you hear it from multiple people. From the Mysterious Insider With Street Cred to, well, the churro guy. It's rare to never, that I have seen, that a legitimate rumor has one and only one source. So really, looking at the distribution of mentions is the easiest way to separate the wheat from the chaff in terms of rumors. And then there are always things that seem to come out of the blue, that get basically no mentions (I mean maybe super vague ones, but never anything specific).

In summation - crowdsourcing is usually the safest bet. Crowdsourcing takes small crowds. So I'm not here to discourage anyone from sharing.
I have no issues with sharing or speculation. That's a big part of this forum. My issue is with people that do not categorize what they say as rumors, or speculation, or ideas-they state things as facts, and talk about their sources. And some of those people get their backs up if they are called on it or questioned about it. Until we see things with our eyes, or there is an official statement from Disney, nothing is ever 100%.

JIMINYCR

Many posters want to be a part of this site. If they have a glimmer of info they want to share it, true or rumor. We get many things posted that are factual and in time we see results that prove its validity. Other times things may be posted sounding bizarre or questionable, but in time also comes to light as true. Then there are items that have no rationality at all and we assume its just silly banter and thats what it comes out in time as being.
I enjoy it all and use my ability to question and reason to determine what is possibly true. And waiting over time to see the actual results. There are a few here we can count on when it comes to important issues and usually they will put in their comments to help verify info.

Eric Graham

Wait, I thought this was an unofficial Disney site for news and rumors...I didn't believe they were ever part of Disney. I'm confused...are you complaining about employees of Disney or people on here..

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Someone claiming to know things because they heard something from an on-stage parade manager in charge of putting down and pulling up masking tape never gets old. :)

I know who I trust. The list isn't long. I can't necessarily tell you who they all are anymore, but usually seeing the name and/or avatar jogs the memory well enough.

Eric Graham

For example, I was all excited when someone said that they were bringing an Animal Kingdom log flume to Disneyworld, but alas it was for a totally different park..

Eric Graham

Seems like there are a lot of Negative Nelly's with some of the posts today. Disney transportation is awful, Iger is awful. etc etc...Try having your water main break and no water for a week...Look on the bright side not everyone can take thousands of dollars in vacations...

Eric Graham

I've not had a churro..are they any good?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom