Acts of Kindness

JimW

Premium Member
It's about acts of kindness at Disney World, and I would surmise the original poster wants us to post other acts of kindness we may have received or seen given out at Disney, either by cast members or other guests. Right, @Brer Greg ?
Thanks for helping me understand. I was totally having a "derp" moment!

JimW

Premium Member
So JimW... you're telling me that had the OP changed absolutely nothing regarding the content of their post, just simply used paragraphs, you would have followed it crystal clearly and not been confused as you are now?
Yes. That is what I'm saying. Sometimes putting things into paragraphs helps me comprehend, which is why I made my request. There seems to be an accusatory tone to your reply; what did I do wrong @Mista C?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Yes. That is what I'm saying. Sometimes putting things into paragraphs helps me comprehend, which is why I made my request. There seems to be an accusatory tone to your reply; what did I do wrong @Mista C?

Ugh sadly this post is as icky as your first. We get it and it is a uplifting thread. Try it you might like being nice.

My DD was a tiny toddler. We hit the arcade before heading to bed. She slid off the carousel and scratched her tummy pretty deep and lightly bleeding.

We stopped at the desk and explained what had happened. Asked that the footrests have duct tape on them until repairs so no other wee ones got hurt.
At the time Disney had full sized cribs. Came back from the parks and they had left her a Minnie plush and multiple other friends in her crib along with a signed photo of Minnie hoping she felt better and balloons. Made her day even that young.

macsmom

I wanted one of the "Mickey Pants" ice cream bowls from the ice cream shop in the Magic Kingdom, but not the ice cream. I was next in line when I heard the people behind me say something about a birthday. Their daughter's. Anyway, I told the cast member I didn't want the ice cream, but could she please give it to the little girl behind me. Cast member didn't look too happy, but she did it. The little girl was so surprised and yes - it did make me feel good!

EricsBiscuit

One time I was watching Fantasmic. I was sitting in the first row by the pretzel "shop." It was right before the show and I wanted a pretzel. Well it turns out they were closed like 5 minutes before the show. Disappointed, I returned to my seat. As the show begins, a CM starts distributing leftover pretzels! They just handed them all out! It was a miracle. I enjoyed that pretzel.

RichC

Ok, not so much an act of kindness here, but definitely a little ‘extra touch’ that made me split my sides:

So among all the WDW cast members one meets, I tend to sympathize most with those working in the busy resort food courts. They are huge, chaotic, noisy areas and I always think at least the CP workers there must regret their placements. If it isn’t all smiles, I don’t mind. The cooks, likewise, seem to keep an exhausting pace -literally cooking on all burners without stop. Anyway, I had ordered a design-your-own pasta bowl at the Riverside Mill food court and was one of many ravenous guests hovering behind the glass in front of the pasta cook waiting for my meal to be prepared. He was a short, heavyset man with a black beard, sweating heavily from the heat. He obviously had his routine and terrific skill, but his job looked intense, like something I didn’t feel I could maintain for hours at a time. Without looking up at the throng of hungry gawkers, the cook suddenly lets out the most wicked, perfect, deep-bellied Mephistopheles laugh while violently tossing one of the frying pans causing the burner flame to flare three feet in the air. He immediately went back to cooking without looking up or even revealing a little smirk. It was the funniest, coolest thing I saw a cast member do all trip.

Driver

So, this is a rather goofy 'act of kindness', but... I went once with friends and had been hunting around for a certain pin, the five-legged goat from the Contemporary mural. Someone said they'd seen it on a lanyard in the Emporium, so I went in to the CM who they thought had one. No, he didn't. But he said he thought he knew someone who did. "It's really not a big deal, it's just a pin, but thanks," I said, but he ran off. A few minutes later he came back looking upset. "I think they're on break. I'm really sorry." I insisted that it was seriously no big deal and thanked him. About ten minutes later I was down the street when I heard "Hey! Sir!" and saw the guy literally running after me, pin in hand. This CM was chasing me through the park just to get me this silly pin.. that I wasn't even buying, I was just doing a pin-trade for fun. It reminded me how committed the CMs are to making guests' visits amazing.
Nice! That's one of the things that makes WDW unique....... the CM's😊

jhastings74

I have two stories that are both equally awesome and created lasting memories, so I'll share both... :)

First, when I was going through Traditions and DAKlimation, I chose to stay overnight at PoP Century so I wouldn't have to make the long drive in from where I lived. My wife and young son (5 at the time) came to surprise me because they thought I would already receive the Main Gate pass and they could enjoy the park until I was out of training. When I asked the CM at the resort about how they could use this 'perk', they informed me that if I didn't have my blue pass, they couldn't get in. (by the way...this was all my own fault. No miscommunication on WDW part, just my own lack of understanding the policies...) My son heard this and looked clearly disappointed. The CM said, "Hang on a moment" and left the counter. She came back a few minutes later with the manager, who didn't address me or my wife. He kneeled down and spoke directly with my son, saying, "I just talked to Mickey. He heard about what happened and said that he would REALLY like you to spend the day at the park with your mom until your dad is done later." He then handed my son two tickets/passes. The look on Noah's (my son) face at that moment will literally stay with me forever. There was NO reason the CM had to speak with the manager and NO reason the manager had to do this, but they both did and it was amazing.

The second one also involved my son Noah. We were eating at Whispering Canyon and the server brought out a dessert for Noah (I think it was a cookie?) Noah said, "Thanks!" and the server said, "You like cookies?" Noah, being an upstanding and forthright 4 year-old at the time, replied, "Yes. But I like cake lots better." The server smiled and walked off. A few minutes later, the chef came out of the kitchen with a GIANT piece of chocolate cake, presented the cake to Noah, saying, "I hear you like cake?", then pulled up a chair next to him and talked with him for a couple of minutes. We have photos somewhere of this and to this day, Noah (who is about to turn 18) swears that he and the chef are still good friends.

THESE are the types of memories that keep us going back, regardless of any small negatives we've encountered.

Sonconato

Nice! That's one of the things that makes WDW unique....... the CM's😊
You are absolutely correct. The cast members are one of the main reasons I still have an annual pass. Under the conditions many of them have to work, they are amazing people. Some of the ones that we are friendly with still talk to us if they happen to see us there on their days off.

One personal example of when a CM made my day was at Port Orleans. I was at the bakery in the food court and I wanted one of those delicious "Magic Cookie Bars" you can only find there. There was no one working at the bakery, so I said to my son, "Well, I guess I can't get one of those this time." I checked out and sat down, and when I went back up to get straws and things the cashier handed me one of the cookies for free. To this day, I do not know how she heard me.

jloucks

One time I bought a Brer Rabbit toy at the gift shop at the Splash Mt exit; about a half hour later, I realized that I'd left it on a bench and walked away, and it was gone. Well, I figured, it wasn't that expensive, I'll get another, so I went back and asked for another one. "Didn't you just buy one?" the CM said. I explained that I'd lost it. They looked genuinely baffled. "Well, I'm not going to make you pay for a replacement!" and just handed one over :)
...and the next day, they were fired. :p

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
A few years ago I went to the Toluca Leg Turkey Co. in DHS to get a turkey leg. The lady I was ordering from said that she wouldn't give it to me till I gobbled for my meal. I gave her a "gobble", which wasn't good enough. So I gave her a "gobble gobble", which still wasn't good enough. So I bowed to the inevitable and at the top of my lungs went "GOBBLEGOBBLEGOBBLEGOBBLEGOBBLEGOBBLE!!!". This warranted a round of applause from all the staff, and the counter lady only charged me for my drink - the turkey leg was free courtesy of Mickey!
And then that night, you were the star attraction on FunnyTouristTricks.com ... ;)

Driver

You are absolutely correct. The cast members are one of the main reasons I still have an annual pass. Under the conditions many of them have to work, they are amazing people. Some of the ones that we are friendly with still talk to us if they happen to see us there on their days off.

One personal example of when a CM made my day was at Port Orleans. I was at the bakery in the food court and I wanted one of those delicious "Magic Cookie Bars" you can only find there. There was no one working at the bakery, so I said to my son, "Well, I guess I can't get one of those this time." I checked out and sat down, and when I went back up to get straws and things the cashier handed me one of the cookies for free. To this day, I do not know how she heard me.
I truly enjoy my interactions with the guest. And my other CM friends feel the same. It's very rewarding to know we can make a small difference in a guest experience.

Driver

I like to make a big deal for the ones that get the princess treatment. They are too cute! I always ask them if they are a REAL princess and of course they are always shy. But none the less if time affords I carry trinkets that the company gives us to hand out and the kids love it ! And I also will que up the announcement on the bus PA that a Disney Princess is on board..... they love it, makes them feel special. It's all about them I'm sure some will remember that long after they've gone home.

Gabe1

I wanted one of the "Mickey Pants" ice cream bowls from the ice cream shop in the Magic Kingdom, but not the ice cream. I was next in line when I heard the people behind me say something about a birthday. Their daughter's. Anyway, I told the cast member I didn't want the ice cream, but could she please give it to the little girl behind me. Cast member didn't look too happy, but she did it. The little girl was so surprised and yes - it did make me feel good!

Woot! Sorry about the CM but again Woot for the magical moment you provided for the young'n behind you.
It is all about balance. You payed it forward for the Birthday Girl. Awesome Karma.

Gabe1

Ok, not so much an act of kindness here, but definitely a little ‘extra touch’ that made me split my sides:

So among all the WDW cast members one meets, I tend to sympathize most with those working in the busy resort food courts. They are huge, chaotic, noisy areas and I always think at least the CP workers there must regret their placements. If it isn’t all smiles, I don’t mind. The cooks, likewise, seem to keep an exhausting pace -literally cooking on all burners without stop. Anyway, I had ordered a design-your-own pasta bowl at the Riverside Mill food court and was one of many ravenous guests hovering behind the glass in front of the pasta cook waiting for my meal to be prepared. He was a short, heavyset man with a black beard, sweating heavily from the heat. He obviously had his routine and terrific skill, but his job looked intense, like something I didn’t feel I could maintain for hours at a time. Without looking up at the throng of hungry gawkers, the cook suddenly lets out the most wicked, perfect, deep-bellied Mephistopheles laugh while violently tossing one of the frying pans causing the burner flame to flare three feet in the air. He immediately went back to cooking without looking up or even revealing a little smirk. It was the funniest, coolest thing I saw a cast member do all trip.

I can't even imagine that role day after day. Thanks for the story. Wish more would think of those making our trips magical.

John park hopper

I went to a consession stand selling drinks and I just wanted a coke to cool off as I was dying of thirst. There was a family in front of me and they could not decide what they wanted and I was getting impatient (as my wife says I all ways do). Finally got to the register with my coke in hand and the CM said "no charge thank you for your service" had my Vietnam vet hat on. Not a big deal to most but it put a big smile on my face the rest of the day.

StarboardSide

I have SO many examples of kindness at Disney World - if you are there with kindness in your own heart you will definitely see and feel it from others.

Years ago, a cast member saw our 4yo daughter crying because the line at Peter Pan was so long, and she whisked her right to the front. One time we were staying at the Ft Wilderness Campground and our camper had a broken part. A maintenance worker happened by and my husband talked with him about the problem. He went back to his shop, got a replacement part and brought it back for us, no charge – he said that technically he wasn’t supposed to do this, but he did anyway…

The most amazing time was when we had been in line for Soarin for a half hour out of a 2 hr queue, and our 8yo daughter had to go to the bathroom. My husband held our place in line while I took her out, but then when we tried to work our way back up through the line to reunite with my husband, a cast member called to us to come over to him. I thought we were in trouble, so I explained why we had been cutting in line. He told me to go get my husband and come back. Confused, and a little worried, I did what he asked, and brought my husband back to him. With a “follow me” he took us through the building, out the back door, around to another door, and let us in to the first position in line!

Every time we go to DW we are absolutely amazed by the kind faces and smiles and words of the cast members – I don’t know how they do it, with the crowds and the heat – but it’s always there. I’m saddened when I see people being rude to each other (we’ve seen people shove our girls out of the way to get further ahead in lines) and to bus drivers etc. DW is really no place for anyone with a bad attitude. My husband always says to the bus drivers “have a magical paycheck!” every time he gets off the bus, and that’s how we feel. We know they’re just employees, like most of the rest of us are, and they do a great job in very challenging conditions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom