Accident on Pirates

landauh

Sadly there is nothing you can do to prevent stupidity.

It actually is very easy to prevent this from happening again. Install rings in the boats in front of where a guest might be sitting and then handcuff the guests to the rings (it is a Pirate attraction after-all). This way they can't get outside the boats.

Phonedave

What I don't get is how giving a simple warning that is easy to follow and reasonable to expect would increase liability. Where I live, there are deer crossing signs all over the place, and at least once a week I see the remains of a deer that had been hit by a car. So the DOT knows there is a danger, acknowledges the danger, they could put up taller fences and create tunnels for the deer, they don't, yet they are not held accountable. I know, probably apples and oranges, we are talking about the government.
I also think I know why there aren't railings. Think about how you get on and off of the ride, those would create a major trip hazard or require major mechanization of the boats.

I also don't get the "having to do everything possible" to prevent the injury. In the example of the dog bite that was given, barbed wire is NOT the most that could have been done. Getting rid of the dog is the most that could have been done. Usually it is did the person take all REASONABLE actions to prevent the incident.

-dave

MissM

btw, are we talking losing the fingers to the first knuckle, or scraping off the pads of the fingers?
One of the articles stated it was to the bottom of the nail on the ring finger and to the first knuckle on the pinkie. If true, that's quite a bit removed.

ETA: Found it!

Mr Jones, from Reedy Creek Fire Department, said the tips of the fingers had been sliced clean off.

'The man lost the tip of his ring finger down to the bottom of the nail, while the little finger was about down to the first knuckle. From the medical reports they were sliced clean off.'

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...aribbean-log-flume-putting-hand-not-been.html

Last edited:

note2001

Orlando Sentinel posted this article about the injury report for last quarter at Disney. Looks like there was a 12 year old boy and an adult who lost fingers on POTC. http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-cfb-tourism-07212014-20140720,0,2054394.story

Thanks for the link :) One correction to your note: the boy cut his fingers, which probably does not indicate he lost them:

The Orlando Sentinel said:
A man whose fingertips were severed aboard Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean this month made international news. Three months before that, it turns out, a 12-year-old boy lacerated four fingers on the same ride.

AEfx

Like I said before, the law states, if a person advertises a potential danger, he/she then needs to do everything that is humanly possible, to prevent this danger from occurring. A tall wooden fence is step one. A lock on the fence is step two and both were done by the home owner. Barbed wire on top of the fence, would have definitely prevented the kids from entering, therefore in the end, the Judge ruled that a dangerous dog was advertised, and the owner failed to do everything that is humanly possible to prevent this situation.

Stupid judge, then.

If he had barbed wire up there, then the kids get cut trying to trespass onto his property, she probably would have awarded them money in that case.

BoarderPhreak

"...a 64-year-old woman fell and fractured her fibula while exiting a vehicle at Tomorrowland Indy Speedway; a 68-year-old man fell exiting the Astro Orbiter and developed a blood clot in his leg; and a 72-year-old woman with a pre-existing condition briefly lost consciousness and fell after leaving Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

Three Disney injuries stemmed from Epcot's Mission: SPACE. Disney reported a 70-year-old woman complained of chest pain; a 58-year-old man with a pre-existing condition felt tightness in his chest and nausea; and a 54-year-old woman complained of motion sickness.

Also at Epcot, a 62-year-old woman fell on the walkway and injured her knee at the Seas with Nemo & Friends and a 51-year-old woman experienced nausea, dizziness and shortness of breath on Expedition Everest-Legend of the Forbidden Mountain.

In other Disney areas, a 68-year-old woman with a pre-existing condition felt tightness in her chest on Kilimanjaro Safari at Animal Kingdom, and a 44-year-old man fractured his leg on Mayday Falls at Typhoon Lagoon."

I know it's Florida and all... But it sounds like they should cancel geriatric hour at WDW. :eek:

Fracturing a leg at Typhoon Lagoon?! Yikes.

Lucky

"...a 64-year-old woman fell and fractured her fibula while exiting a vehicle at Tomorrowland Indy Speedway; a 68-year-old man fell exiting the Astro Orbiter and developed a blood clot in his leg; and a 72-year-old woman with a pre-existing condition briefly lost consciousness and fell after leaving Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

Three Disney injuries stemmed from Epcot's Mission: SPACE. Disney reported a 70-year-old woman complained of chest pain; a 58-year-old man with a pre-existing condition felt tightness in his chest and nausea; and a 54-year-old woman complained of motion sickness.

Also at Epcot, a 62-year-old woman fell on the walkway and injured her knee at the Seas with Nemo & Friends and a 51-year-old woman experienced nausea, dizziness and shortness of breath on Expedition Everest-Legend of the Forbidden Mountain.

In other Disney areas, a 68-year-old woman with a pre-existing condition felt tightness in her chest on Kilimanjaro Safari at Animal Kingdom, and a 44-year-old man fractured his leg on Mayday Falls at Typhoon Lagoon."

I know it's Florida and all... But it sounds like they should cancel geriatric hour at WDW. :eek:

Fracturing a leg at Typhoon Lagoon?! Yikes.
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-cfb-tourism-07212014-20140720,0,2054394.story

Any reason why you edited out the 12 year old boy, 8 year old girl, 18 year old "man," etc.?

Nemo14

Can't wait til you're 54...
clear.png
clear.png
clear.png
:p:p

PAW PAW 70

Just finished reading article about two guests injured on the POC ride. Seems that they were sitting in last seat when injured. One lost fingers and they other they said was just injured. WDW are keeping riders out of last seat to prevent such injuries. I just can't see how by sitting in the last seat contributes to any injuries unless they were dangling their hands in the water, although this could happen in any seat. Hope those injured are doing well and fully recover.

Disneydreamer23

This is the incident that every one on here has been talking about for a week or two now, I didn't read the article ( CAN YOU POST LINK PLEASE), but I would assume they had to have put there hands in the water or touched some thing they shouldn't have. I just couldn't imagine getting hurt on this ride if you were sitting doing what you were supposed to be and enjoying the ride and keeping your hands inside the boat at all times.

olinecoach61

I suppose WDW is keeping people out of the rear seat to cover itself from a lawsuit. That being said, keep your body inside the boat, it's not hard.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom