Accident at Disneyland

DisneyWorldGuru

Original Poster
Disney worker injured in 'magic carpet' fall
'Aladdin' closed Tuesday and part of Wednesday for Cal-OSHA investigation.

By DANIELLE HERUBIN
The Orange County Register

ANAHEIM – A stage technician testing the magic-carpet special effects for the Disney show "Aladdin" fell about 42 feet Tuesday morning, shutting down the popular show for more than a day.

The 36-year-old Disney employee, who was not identified, was in critical condition at UCI Medical Center, company spokeswoman Sondra Haley said.

The California Division of Occupational Safety and Health began its investigation Tuesday.

"We're most likely going to look at a few issues," said Dean Fryer, a Cal-OSHA spokesman. "One would be training. The other is fall protection."

The state will release its conclusion in two to three months, Fryer said.

"Disney's Aladdin, A Musical Spectacular" has played to mostly packed audiences since opening Jan. 16. The accident happened at the Hyperion Theater in Disney's California Adventure theme park.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with our fellow cast member and his family," said Cynthia Harriss, president of The Disneyland Resort.

The theater holds 1,899 people. "Aladdin" is performed two to three times a day. It was closed Tuesday and reopened for its second performance Wednesday.

The worker was in a safety harness at about 6 a.m. as he tested special effects. Disney does not know what caused the fall, Haley said.

"It's the same procedure that happens every single morning prior to opening," Haley said.

Disney workers need about five hours to prepare the theater for "Aladdin," which brings the popular Disney animated movie to the stage.

Working in the theater industry I know all too well what can happen if you are not careful while on the job. I must say, when I work in the catwalks aiming fixtures I rarely use a harness, even though its required by OSHA(in most union jobs). I am guessing the harness snapped or he fell out of it. Well my heart goes out to him and his family.

I hate to sound cruel...But this sort of thing happens. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family. One must realize, normal companies would not get this sort of publicity with such an incident. It just comes with the territory.

DisneyWorldGuru

Original Poster
Well as I said, I know all too well the dangers of working in the theatre industry. I myself have broke bones, had serious burns, not to mension tons of bumps and bruses. Its just sad to hear it when it happens. Sometimes sites like Playbill tell about major accidents, but yeah, most go unreported, unless its very serious. But its a risk you take when you become a techie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom