Accessibility for Wheelchair Guests

tigger248

The two golden rules we learned after our first trip (and have found to be true ever since), are #1) Take your time, don't let anyone rush you and #2) don't be afraid to ask for what you need. You will find WDW among the most wheel-chair friendly places on Earth - the only sad part is that the rest of the world isn't nearly as accomodating.

That quote is so true and I agree completely with it. My brother has spina bifida and while he can walk, he uses a wheelchair when large amounts of walking are required.

The best advice that I can give goes along with AEfx's golden rules. We have found that the cms in the greeter positions at the entrance of the rides are great for answering any questions we have. The rides that have been built more recently typically have lines that are accessible and the older ones typically have alternate entrances such as the exit.

I hope that you all enjoy your trip!

Since I'm a architecture student and have some learning Disabilities threads like this are always something I'm drawn to reading and learning more about what those in wheelchairs and such need from those who can walk. But it really hit home for me when my aunt was t-boned by a elderly lady late last year on a back country road between Gainesville and her home just north of Daytona Beach Florida and was thrown from the car and paralyzed from the chest down. It has brought my mom and her closer but also has giving me alot to think about when I see how much she has to struggle to get around their farm house and land. My family has been building decks for her and remodeling the house to make things easier but every time I think about it and think about those in wheelchairs its just makes me want to invest more into what I design and really help those typed of people out.

Being someone that does understand I'm always willing to help out at the park or anywhere by holding a door or something. I know its hard and I would want the same treatment if it was me.

JEDI1138

We will be traveling next month with my brother-in-law who is in a wheelchair. Can anyone provide information on how easy/hard it was to get around the parks, get on attractions, etc.?? We want him to have a great time!!!

Disney is very accessible and does alot of things right and is always improving in this area. The FIRST thing you will want to do is to get a "Guidebook for Guests With Disabilities" they have one for each park and is a must for anyone with Disablilities at Disney for the first time, so you will know that you can do most things at Disney, if not all depending on your condition. They can be requested ahead of time to be sent to your home or just pick them up at Guest Relations in the parks. Don't miss out because you think you won't be able to do something, just ASK.

barnum42

Understand this, I'm not insulted by your comment, because if you look at it a certain way, your saying that if there's a marine around they'll be the first to help. I've never been in any branch of the military nor did I want to be. My brother however was in the army for almost 18 years, and I learned alot from his experiences. But the one thing I will do is NOT hesitate to help anyone who needs it, ( or too proud to ask ) and I can understand that part as well. Your comment was geared towards the marines, but it just didn't sit right with me for some odd reason. I commend that person for not hesitating to assist the gentleman, as would I. God bless the marines, but God bless anyone who helps anyone who needs assistance. I'm sorry if this has openned a can of worms.
I'm have no doubt that WaltzingMatilda would have helped the gentleman in question regardless of his history. The fact that he was able to identify an immediate bond with him just makes the incident that more special to the two individuals. I like the story.

MrsGracey

I have a quick question about guests in wheelchairs:

There are certain attractions that require guests to transfer to a regular wheelchair from an ECV. Do these attractions provide the Manual chairs to transfer into? I have a guest coming with me who, although she can transfer from the ECV to a regular chair, would have a nearly impossible time transfering to a Small World Boat, or the like.

I'm assuming (and hoping) the answer is yes, but I thought I would 2x check! :wave:
Yes, they do provide manual chairs when needed, you won't need one on Small World, EVC's use the exit ramp to get to the boats. They have a wheel chair boat so your friend can stay in her chair.
Pirates offers a manual chair as well, but the guest MUST get out of the chair and get into the boat since there's that little drop. Wheelchairs do not go on the boats, they get taken to the exit where you get off.

Chape19714

That's what I mean, and I am pretty sure you can't put an ECV on the boat, and you must switch. So I'm assuming they have a manual chair to switch to.

VoiceGuy07

Original Poster
Just wanted to post a follow-up. The family just returned from Disney a week or so ago and the trip was perfect. My brother-in-law was able to go on just about every ride he wanted and some we didn't think he'd be able to transfer onto. Honestly, he went on just about every ride.

I was amazed at how helpful the cast members were and how equipped many of the rides were. Actually, I expected the cast members to be as exceptional as they always are!!

Believe it or not, this trip actually opened my brother-in-law's eyes to the possibility that he can do a lot more than just vacation at a couple of places in the U.S. - they usuallly just go to the beach. What a pleasure!

Thanks again everyone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom