Access to a resort without a restaurant reservation

Darling one

Original Poster
I was wondering if anyone has had any issues going to check out another resort when you are not a guest there? We will have a rental car staying at Beach club for the first time. After watching tons a Disney resort videos my children would love to taste the beignets at Port Orleans. I haven’t seen this listed as an item at one of the parks. If I am correct they are offered at the quick service location. Does security let a guest not of that resort through the gate to experience: quick service/Trader Sam’s/walk around the resort for future reference on if we want to stay there? Please note this is not a pool hopping question🙂

Herdman

I've never tried to access by car, but we've often done it by bus. I'm guessing you would be just fine, but I'm sure someone on here has actually done it. If not, just hop a bus there from one of the parks.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
When we visit Trader Sam's (and we don't stay at the Poly) we take the resort bus to MK then catch the boat to the Poly.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It is typically not a problem, but it will depend on the time of year and the resort.
If it is a holiday, getting into some place like the Poly without a dining reservation will often be a no go. Do it on an odd Tuesday and they won't bat an eye.

Just tell the guard at the entrance why you are there and they will give you a pass.

Driver

It is typically not a problem, but it will depend on the time of year and the resort.
If it is a holiday, getting into some place like the Poly without a dining reservation will often be a no go. Do it on an odd Tuesday and they won't bat an eye.

Just tell the guard at the entrance why you are there and they will give you a pass.
Great advice..... but the bus option works if they don't allow you in with the car. ( as mentioned 😊)

Darling one

Original Poster

Thank you for the info. We are going in what used to be the slow season of August. With the way our schedule is playing out we figure the car we would the easiest since we want to tie the water park, Disney Springs into a one day trip. If we can avoid the bus due to time constraints and work breakfast in at the French Quarter it would be ideal.

piglet1

I think since you will have Magic Bands showing you are actually staying on property, that will help, Just show your band to the guard and say you are going to eat at the food court, and they should let you in. Again, it could depend on how crowded the resort is. Port Orleans shouldn't be a problem, but for Trader Sam's at The Poly they may require you to valet park if you go at night during a busy season

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Thank you for the info. We are going in what used to be the slow season of August. With the way our schedule is playing out we figure the car we would the easiest since we want to tie the water park, Disney Springs into a one day trip. If we can avoid the bus due to time constraints and work breakfast in at the French Quarter it would be ideal.
French Quarter should not be an issue at all especially since you are already staying on property.

bhg469

We just stayed in Orlando for a week, didn't even set foot in the parks. Went to lunch at Sanaa and even though we had reservations the guard didnt do anything except ask for my ID, and handed it back to me without even really glancing at it. He didnt check a list or verify anywhere. Led me to believe that it really is not enforced everywhere.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We just stayed in Orlando for a week, didn't even set foot in the parks. Went to lunch at Sanaa and even though we had reservations the guard didnt do anything except ask for my ID, and handed it back to me without even really glancing at it. He didnt check a list or verify anywhere. Led me to believe that it really is not enforced everywhere.
It seems to be "selectively" enforced.

The monorail resorts, Boardwalk and the Yacht and Beach Club are really the only places where unauthorized parking is an issue, so those resorts tend to be more stringent.

Amos1784

I've never had a problem at all, especially because you are staying on site. However if for some reason you wanted to avoid that in case you had a problem you could always park at Disney Springs and take the boat to French Quarter, it is a lovely boat ride. Same with Poly, if for some reason you can not park there just park at the TTC and take the Resort Monorail over. There is always a way ;)

MomofPrincessGrace

This might not count, since they are sister resorts, but... we stayed at POR and decided to drive over to POFR to get beignets one afternoon. We explained why were were there to the guard and they let us in no problem.

OneofThree

During our last trip, we stayed at WL and had gone to the Grand Floridian Cafe for breakfast one morning. We drove, and when got to GF were asked why we were there. I told them about the reservation, they scanned my magic band, and commented that I was a little early for my reservation time. Didn't bother me at all, but it did strike me that they are beginning to keep a closer eye on these things.

jakeman

I was wondering if anyone has had any issues going to check out another resort when you are not a guest there? We will have a rental car staying at Beach club for the first time. After watching tons a Disney resort videos my children would love to taste the beignets at Port Orleans. I haven’t seen this listed as an item at one of the parks. If I am correct they are offered at the quick service location. Does security let a guest not of that resort through the gate to experience: quick service/Trader Sam’s/walk around the resort for future reference on if we want to stay there? Please note this is not a pool hopping question🙂
Anecdotal, but I did this very thing in March without issue and have done it multiple times before as well.

YankeeMouse

This might not count, since they are sister resorts, but... we stayed at POR and decided to drive over to POFR to get beignets one afternoon. We explained why were were there to the guard and they let us in no problem.
You don't need to leave POR to get to POFQ, there's an access road that takes you close to building 7 and toward the food court and common areas.

Gainesvillain

We do this all of the time, at many different resorts, sometimes in our car and sometimes using WDW transportation. If you are coming into a resort to spend $, they want you at that resort.

PG 134

Use the lane with Security Host/Hostess if you are not currently staying at the resort as the Magic Band will not work on automatic gate arm. Provide Magic Band (displays Name, Resort reservations with date of stay, any other possible dining reservations) or a government issued photo identification card to Security Host/Hostess. Give valid reason for visiting. Don't appear sketchy. Some resorts may be more restricting (Monorail resorts or direct connection to Parks) and some might just have general resort problems (solicitation). Just answer questions and don't give attitude. Shouldn't have a problem.

Simba's Mom

Actually we drove over to the French Quarter ourselves for the Beignets a few months ago. No problem getting in. However, with the new parking fees, I don't know if things have changed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom