Abundance of characters out

cwolnowski

Original Poster
I was just at DisneyWorld for 6 days and I couldn't help but notice the abundance of characters around for meet-n-greet in the parks. For example, on Tue., 5/15, I remember right as we entered Main Street, there was Pluto and Daisy Duck in Town Hall, not to mention Mickey and Minnie in the Exposition Hall next to Tony's, as well as the princesses there. We then walked over to get a fast pass for Splash Mountain and Woody and Jessie were right next to that attraction. We then diverted over to Tomorrowland before riding Splash Mountain, and we saw Buzz Lightyear and Chip and Dale there for autographs. While walking back to Splash Mountain we walked past the old Adventureland Veranda where Tinkerbell and the Fairies were available for meet-n-greet. Has there been a new policy implemented to meet a demand for meeting characters because I can never remember there being so many around the parks ..

Crush Dude!

Back from WDW!Counting down to DLP in November!
I was just at DisneyWorld for 6 days and I couldn't help but notice the abundance of characters around for meet-n-greet in the parks. For example, on Tue., 5/15, I remember right as we entered Main Street, there was Pluto and Daisy Duck in Town Hall, not to mention Mickey and Minnie in the Exposition Hall next to Tony's, as well as the princesses there. We then walked over to get a fast pass for Splash Mountain and Woody and Jessie were right next to that attraction. We then diverted over to Tomorrowland before riding Splash Mountain, and we saw Buzz Lightyear and Chip and Dale there for autographs. While walking back to Splash Mountain we walked past the old Adventureland Veranda where Tinkerbell and the Fairies were available for meet-n-greet. Has there been a new policy implemented to meet a demand for meeting characters because I can never remember there being so many around the parks ..

From all of those the only one that sounds odd is daisy and Pluto the rest were ll around during my last trip in 2010

Vader2112

My past several trips over the last two years Daisy and Pluto have been doing M&G right in the center as soon as you emerge from the tunnel. It all sounds like the norm.

asianway

Daisy has been anchored to that spot for over three years...this is the standard character fare at MK and it is stale

Pioneer Hall

Daisy has been anchored to that spot for over three years...this is the standard character fare at MK and it is stale

How is it stale? Some of these characters have been around for ages and are what people look for in their Disney experiences. Is it stale because you get to go to the parks often and aren't happy that something isn't charged for you every week. Some things are going to remain consistent...a guest today and a guest in 10 years are going to want to see daisy, Pluto, buzz, etc. Not everyone out there is as lucky and you or I and get to the parks often enough where something like this is perceived as stale. There is a difference between being critical (which is great and should happen) and just being negative and pessimistic.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

Nothing new or exciting here. Even Daisy has been in that location for the past few years.

Ah, but the OP didn't consider it stale and did consider it exciting. Put all this together and that's a good thing. Disney's standard character offerings interested the OP and were percieved as being abundant. That's exactly what Disney should be shooting for -- to have the standard daily offerings be viewed as being enjoyable...and more enjoyable than expected. This sounds like a good thing to me.

mikeymouse

This change is all due to Mickey's Birthdayland/Starland/Toontown Fair being replaced with the Fantasyland expansion. That is where they used to meet & greet.

prberk

How is it stale? Some of these characters have been around for ages and are what people look for in their Disney experiences. Is it stale because you get to go to the parks often and aren't happy that something isn't charged for you every week. Some things are going to remain consistent...a guest today and a guest in 10 years are going to want to see daisy, Pluto, buzz, etc. Not everyone out there is as lucky and you or I and get to the parks often enough where something like this is perceived as stale. There is a difference between being critical (which is great and should happen) and just being negative and pessimistic.

I have to agree here.

prberk

By the way, I can't help but say that the classic characters are classic for a reason, and that is why their movies should be re-released regularly and/or shown on TV. They represent "everyman" characters (Mickey and his friends, and Winnie the Pooh and his friends) or classic stories (the movie characters).

And if that happens, they continue to be recognized and appreciated at the parks not only by each generation, but across generations -- i.e., both grandma and the grandkids, as well as the parents, know and understand the characters that they see.

It really helps fulfill the parks' or original mission, of being a place for all ages to enjoy together, and to walk into the world of the movies/stories.

Or, if you have to translate this for an MBA, call it "synergy"... but I just call it smart and fun for everyone...

Paul

Pioneer Hall

By the way, I can't help but say that the classic characters are classic for a reason, and that is why their movies should be re-released regularly and/or shown on TV. They represent "everyman" characters (Mickey and his friends, and Winnie the Pooh and his friends) or classic stories (the movie characters).

And if that happens, they continue to be recognized and appreciated at the parks not only by each generation, but across generations -- i.e., both grandma and the grandkids, as well as the parents, know and understand the characters that they see.

It really helps fulfill the parks' or original mission, of being a place for all ages to enjoy together, and to walk into the world of the movies/stories.

Or, if you have to translate this for an MBA, call it "synergy"... but I just call it smart and fun for everyone...

Paul

Be nice to us MBA's. One day I might be the Guy destroying WDW:lookaroun

Ignohippo

Be nice to us MBA's. One day I might be the Guy destroying WDW:lookaroun

While the characters listed above should alll be there daily in their specified places, I'm a firm believer that there should be one area in each park where the characters are random from day to day. Bring back Robin Hood, Chicken Little, Russell, etc., etc. from time to time. Make it a little bit more exciting for season passholders, etc. with very limited expense.

Really the only expense would be a couple of costumed castmembers and their handlers, but would add a lot to the experience. The costumes are in mothballs, so they're available to bring out at any time. The crazy crowds at Pixar Weekend last year should ell them that there's a huge demand to see characters thatbaren't in circulation any more.

Flip83

LOVE THIS. Well said

Flip83

While the characters listed above should alll be there daily in their specified places, I'm a firm believer that there should be one area in each park where the characters are random from day to day. Bring back Robin Hood, Chicken Little, Russell, etc., etc. from time to time. Make it a little bit more exciting for season passholders, etc. with very limited expense.

Really the only expense would be a couple of costumed castmembers and their handlers, but would add a lot to the experience. The costumes are in mothballs, so they're available to bring out at any time. The crazy crowds at Pixar Weekend last year should ell them that there's a huge demand to see characters thatbaren't in circulation any more.

I will agree to this as well. Robin Hood characters used to be found in UK Pavilion. No reason why they stopped that. Pooh is at a few places. He doesnt need to be there too. 7 dwarves? They only seem to come out at parties at MK.(this could change with mine train ride though. Could be more often). Hardly any villains (besides parties in october). They are the funniest characters to meet n greet with families.

I understand if they cut back workers. But they could also try to switch things up. Say in UK, you do Mary Poppins, pooh, tigger. Then when you switch up, bring out Robin Hood, Prince John and whoever else. There is no reason you can't.

That being said, We go once a year and we see many of same characters and still enjoy every moment at a meet n greet. But for passholders, thats why they should rotate a few more characters in the mix. They pay good money. Many can be wayyyy too whiney.... But sometimes they can have a point lol

WDsMouse

That being said, We go once a year and we see many of same characters and still enjoy every moment at a meet n greet. But for passholders, thats why they should rotate a few more characters in the mix. They pay good money. Many can be wayyyy too whiney.... But sometimes they can have a point lol

I am one of those annual passholders, but I hope I'm not being whiney in my post :animwink:

I would LOVE to see a few random characters every now and then. I have no problem with the line up the way it is because I know it's important for the occasional visitor to see the characters they love, know and expect to be there, but I wouldn't mind a few random characters every once in a while. At this point, you can only see the rare ones during character training (usually in Epcot every 2-3 months, but unannounced) or at parties (and I usually don't pay for those tickets since the annual passes are quite a lot as it is). I missed Pixar weekend last year, but would love more events like those. I would definitely attend.

sgtmgd

Agrred...There should be a standard location/schedule to see youre favorite Classic characters..but it would also be nice to have one location set up for "mystery guests" whether it bee Robin Hood....or Cruella..or hold your brath..the cast of the Black Cauldren..or any other Disney Movie..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom