About the Batb show...

Can we go yet?

Original Poster
Having seen the re-release of Beauty and the Beast in theaters, I later noticed a lot of lines (audio) that seem to be taken straight from the movie when I went in September. I have heard that the show is mostly lip-synched, is it true? I suspected so, but clarification would be nice. Thanks!

Clever Name

Only two characters have microphones. Belle and Gaston. The rest of what you hear is done by the sound technicians in the booth (middle of the theater).

asianway

Having seen the re-release of Beauty and the Beast in theaters, I later noticed a lot of lines (audio) that seem to be taken straight from the movie when I went in September. I have heard that the show is mostly lip-synched, is it true? I suspected so, but clarification would be nice. Thanks!
I am 99% sure Belle & Gaston really sing...

RonAnnArbor

I'm a musical theater director, so its a toss-up. Its impossible to sing live that many shows per day -- the performers would all be blowing their voices out. Festival of the Lion King does 8 shows per day -- they even switch off some of the performers who have tremendous athletic demands...a small portion of the show is live (i.e. mostly what is spoken into the mics) the rest is taped. Finding Nemo probably has more "live" vocal performance than any other show in the park -- it also only does a few shows a day, and they ALSO trade off performers during the day.
If you've ever worked in the theme park biz, you'll know that the kids in the live shows have the highest workers comp claims in the park -- most cast members in those "Cedar Point/Great Adventure/Dollywood" shows don't make it through the summer. Some do permanent vocal damage doing 8 shows a day. Tired performers trip and break ankles etc.
I think what Disney does is a good mix of live and recorded that most audience members don't know the difference. In fact, I'd say 99 percent of the audience doesn't know the difference. The same folks that think they are seeing live video in Lights Motors Action...

RonAnnArbor

LOL -- no, only a tiny portion of the video you see in LMA is live...the short clips after the stunts, and the only reason they do that is to establish a feeling of "realism"....Most of the video is stock footage from the original Paris incarnation of the attraction. Watch closely next time....chairs and benches in the backgrounds are not in the right locations...tech workers sitting at the cafe tables don't appear in the videos...the ground is bone dry, while the real ground in front of you is wet, etc, etc. All of the "explanatory video" was made for the Paris version and imported here.

SyracuseOrange

LOL -- no, only a tiny portion of the video you see in LMA is live...the short clips after the stunts, and the only reason they do that is to establish a feeling of "realism"....Most of the video is stock footage from the original Paris incarnation of the attraction. Watch closely next time....chairs and benches in the backgrounds are not in the right locations...tech workers sitting at the cafe tables don't appear in the videos...the ground is bone dry, while the real ground in front of you is wet, etc, etc. All of the "explanatory video" was made for the Paris version and imported here.
I was kidding ;)

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I've always wondered why Beast sounds so... terrible.
I mean, yeah, you're prolly just gonna use a recording of a guy going "ROAR! RAAAR!" and whatever, but at least modify it so it sounds threatening. It's pathetic.
I'm ready for that show to go away.

wiigirl

I thoroughly enjoy the show and hope it stays forever. It's not a Broadway production and the real aim is for the kids.

Same here....my kids (and me) really enjoy it.
75.gif

Spikerdink

After years of seeing the Hollywood Studios version, I finally saw a regional theater production of BatB. I must say, I totally preferred the Hollywood Studios version. No crap, all the highpoints.

That said, people who go to see the show want to hear Angela Lansbury and Jerry Orbach's voices....they would be disappointed if Mrs. Potts and Lumiere sounded 'different'. I don't think people notice as much with Belle and Gaston. I knew they were going with mostly prerecorded vocals and had no problem with it. Heck, we had to know the music was canned - I mean, where is the orchestra????

Can we go yet?

Original Poster
I mean, yeah, you're prolly just gonna use a recording of a guy going "ROAR! RAAAR!" and whatever, but at least modify it so it sounds threatening. It's pathetic.
Yeah...after becoming a human again he talks with a voice of a 14 year old boy, high pitched and everything...I hope the Tangled show can be a bit longer, so the plot isn't rushed into like this show is.

VDisneyFan18

WHAT?!?!?!?!????!!!!!!

luv

I love BatB. It's second only to FotLK and not by much, IMO. People who visit me always like it a great deal, too.

I'd hate to see it go. BatB is one of my favorite Disney movies and half the reason I even bother to go to DS in the first place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom