About SWGE, maybe it’s just me, but...

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And yet I hate Harry Potter but enjoy the lands at Universal immensely. A land can be well executed and appeal to those who don't even know what the land's based on. To argue differently is like saying Frontierland can't be enjoyed if you're not a fan of the old wild west. Of course it's subjective and if you want to laugh at people who appreciate 'the look and feel of Star Wars' then you can, just as some laugh at adults dressed as Harry Potter at Universal waving wands. I personally don't as it's subjective and people appreciate things at different levels and for different reasons, but each to their own.

I can’t argue with what you’re saying...

The problem is if you read the Star Wars land feedback so far...and I admit I’m trying to not do it much because I’m a couple weeks away and I don’t want a catalogue of “flaws” running through my mind...they have missed on “immersion”

“Detail” gets some high praise. But that’s not immersion. Dak always got high marks for detail...but it’s lack of needle moving rides, shows and dining failed to get it out of middling performance for its first 20 years. The attendance figures and daily dump outs are facts.

Detail doesn’t ultimately constitute the guts of what makes a Disney park truly successful. It usually goes back to rides or ancillary traditions in the parks.

They didn’t want to embrace the OT...I understand why on many levels. But that is going to leave a lot of space for detractors.

No music in Star Wars? Name one person ever involved in a Star Wars who hasn’t said music was a key component to the appeal. You won’t find one.

When they bought it, bob did a canned announcement that talked about all the worlds and characters in the “universe”
...so how do you forget the character in your land?

They built a sim...they’re building an updated dark ride - which won’t have embark/debate and interaction that was floated for 5 years as being a possibility...
...But is that enough? Or will it be people’s “2nd, 3rd favorite land”

Is that the goal?

I dunno...seems very troubling so far. I think they shoulda just built Tror’s Xwing coaster 🤪

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I personally am very excited to see GE. Yes, it's tiny. Yes, there are only 2 rides (well, one when it opens) I feel like all these "bloggers" and "influencers" want to do these days is tear down every single thing Disney does. Nothing is done well enough and all they do is complain about this and that. It's all just SO negative these days. Seems like that's the general way of the internet right now though so I'm not too shocked.
Actually the bloggers and influencers typically just try to overcover Disney on both sides...because they are detached from reality and/or are trying to make money off their nonsense.

It’s the Star Wars nuts that are notorious for tearing down. As their creation coincided with the prequel era.

They have a non-objective axe to grind. But it’s getting hard to say they don’t have some Valid points about Disney’s decisions. The franchise is not “stronger than ever”...the case can’t really be made as it stands.

Last edited:

mergatroid

I can’t argue with what you’re saying...

The problem is if you read the Star Wars land feedback so far...and I admit I’m trying to not do it much because I’m a couple weeks away and I don’t want a catalogue of “flaws” running through my mind...they have missed on “immersion”

“Detail” gets some high praise. But that’s not immersion. Dak always got high marks for detail...but it’s lack of needle moving rides, shows and dining failed to get it out of middling performance for its first 20 years. The attendance figures and daily dump outs are facts.

Detail doesn’t ultimately constitute the guts of what makes a Disney park truly successful. It usually goes back to rides or ancillary traditions in the parks.

They didn’t want to embrace the OT...I understand why on many levels. But that is going to leave a lot of space for detractors.

No music in Star Wars? Name one person ever involved in a Star Wars who hasn’t said music was a key component to the appeal. You won’t find one.

When they bought it, bob did a canned announcement that talked about all the worlds and characters in the “universe”
...so how do you forget the character in your land?

They built a sim...they’re building an updated dark ride - which won’t have embark/debate and interaction that was floated for 5 years as being a possibility...
...But is that enough? Or will it be people’s “2nd, 3rd favorite land”

Is that the goal?

I dunno...seems very troubling so far. I think they shoulda just built Tror’s Xwing coaster 🤪

Some decent points there. We're visiting it in September this year and can't wait. Maybe when both you and I have experienced it personally, we'll come back and discuss it some more?

starri42

Pushing the nuTrilogy so hard just baffles me. Throw original fans a bone Disney. They want what they already love.
But you could then make the argument as to why the OT. As strange as it may seem to us Olds, there's a cohort of people about to enter their 30s who have the strongest attachment to the prequels.

The_Jobu

But you could then make the argument as to why the OT. As strange as it may seem to us Olds, there's a cohort of people about to enter their 30s who have the strongest attachment to the prequels.

I'd have no problems with prequels stuff, no problem at all. A mix of all three trilogies would be great too, it's just the fact that it's only the nuTrilogy that makes me not care so much.

The_Jobu

I think the main complaint is the Land is not based on any place from the movies. The characters, other than the storm troopers, are unfamiliar and even SW fans are complaining. A glimpse of Darth Vader would be kinda cool but no.

This is certainly why my interest in the land is so low. Do I want to come online and say it doesn't look appealing? Of course not, I want to say I'm insanely excited to see all my favourite characters, but unfortunately I can not.

I'll withhold judgement till I get there, but in the meantime I can't lie about my lack of interest.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think the main complaint is the Land is not based on any place from the movies. The characters, other than the storm troopers, are unfamiliar and even SW fans are complaining. A glimpse of Darth Vader would be kinda cool but no.
Agreed. I thought the idea of an ambiguous new land based on an IP...that didn’t exist in the IP...is the classic example of WDI and LFL outsmarting itself.
This is certainly why my interest in the land is so low. Do I want to come online and say it doesn't look appealing? Of course not, I want to say I'm insanely excited to see all my favourite characters, but unfortunately I can not.

I'll withhold judgement till I get there, but in the meantime I can't lie about my lack of interest.

I’m trying to tow that line. Really trying.

It’s hard when you have to go along with a 3 year fan driven PR campaign interwoven with box office that was adamant it was amazing before a shovel moved...or you get spit on 😳

Last edited:

TP2000

Not sure why this is even a question for some folks. Stars Wars Land is already open. It's been open for six weeks now. Any of the 20 Million Southern Californians who live within a two hour freeway drive of Disneyland can go visit it now. Any of the tourists staying in the 200,000 hotel rooms within a 60 minute drive of Disneyland can go to Star Wars Land this evening or tomorrow if they want. And 25,000 of those hotel rooms are in the Anaheim Resort District within walking distance or a short hotel shuttle ride from the front gates of Disneyland.

For sheer number of consumers and sheer number of hotel rooms (read: Tourists) the numbers favor SoCal over Orlando when it comes to capacity and market share. But the crowds haven't materialized for Star Wars Land.

So why would the exact clone of this land opening in DHS in six weeks be any different of an experience? Except for the weather, of course.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not sure why this is even a question for some folks. Stars Wars Land is already open. It's been open for six weeks now. Any of the 20 Million Southern Californians who live within a two hour freeway drive of Disneyland can go visit it now. Any of the tourists staying in the 200,000 hotel rooms within a 60 minute drive of Disneyland can go to Star Wars Land this evening or tomorrow if they want. And 25,000 of those hotel rooms are in the Anaheim Resort District within walking distance or a short hotel shuttle ride from the front gates of Disneyland.

For sheer number of consumers and sheer number of hotel rooms (read: Tourists) the numbers favor SoCal over Orlando when it comes to capacity and market share. But the crowds haven't materialized for Star Wars Land.

So why would the exact clone of this land opening in DHS in six weeks be any different of an experience? Except for the weather, of course.
Well that’s an easy answer I think you know...

JusticeDisney

Original Poster

Until RotR opens, nobody has a complete understanding of what the land will ultimately be like.

BoarderPhreak

I think RotR is what will ultimately make or break SWGE. Those that were waiting for it to open and those that thought MF:SR was kinda lame. While the latter is the filler, the former is the killer. Kinda like FoP is to NRJ in Pandora. Wait until December 5th... I think a lot of people will be updating their reviews.

Though I do think a lot of the criticism may be justified; there's not much for kids to do, nothing's free/everything's expensive, it's a cash grab marketplace, yada yada. Can't please everyone.

TrainsOfDisney

Until RotR opens, nobody has a complete understanding of what the land will ultimately be like.

None of the issues I saw get fixed by another ride. I mean another ride will be a positive for the land, but that doesn’t fix the issues with the land. (The cold lifeless feel, lack of classic characters, lack of live entertainment, lack of music).

The land has a great design and lots of details. But the overall feel, with the lack of entertainment, is cold and lifeless. That’s the big issue.

The Falcon could be better but it serves its purpose.

JusticeDisney

Original Poster
None of the issues I saw get fixed by another ride. I mean another ride will be a positive for the land, but that doesn’t fix the issues with the land. (The cold lifeless feel, lack of classic characters, lack of live entertainment, lack of music).

The land has a great design and lots of details. But the overall feel, with the lack of entertainment, is cold and lifeless. That’s the big issue.

The Falcon could be better but it serves its purpose.
I don’t doubt what you’re saying, but the fact remains that nobody has yet to experience the main attraction of the land. And until that happens, people’s thoughts and impressions are not complete. That’s all I’m saying.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Do we have an updated technical description of what the other ride will be?

Length? Tech in use?

This is a serious question...as now the whole status of success/failure of a “slam dunk” park development on a marquee franchise is being put on one dark ride?

My impression was it was gonna be a hybrid of the great movie ride on steroids and hopefully Spider-Man from IOA??? Mystic manor?

Hopefully.

The FOP comparison can’t hold. It isn’t a thrill ride. They made that choice. Both rides are “all ages” more or less and the falcon needed to provide the motion zing.

Last edited:

mergatroid

Do we have an updated technical description of what the other ride will be?

Length? Tech in use?

This is a serious question...as now the whole status of success/failure of a “slam dunk” park development on a marquee franchise is being put on one dark ride?

My impression was it was gonna be a hybrid of the great movie ride on steroids and hopefully Spider-Man from IOA??? Mystic manor?

Hopefully.

The FOP comparison can’t hold. It isn’t a thrill ride. Then made that choice. Both rides are “all ages” more or less and the falcon needed to provide the motion zing.

Here

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom