ABC will face reality to lift ratings, but can it work?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster
ABC will face reality to lift ratings, but can it work?
By Gary Levin

Posted 1/15/2003 10:26 PM / Updated 1/16/2003 12:19 PM

LOS ANGELES (USA Today) -- ABC is turning to a heavy dose of reality TV to goose its ratings, but in doing so it risks diluting its new image as the family-friendly network.

Consider a batch of programs due in coming weeks to ride on the coattails of hit dating drama The Bachelor, including:

·Are You Hot?: The Search for America's Sexiest People.
·Extreme Makeover, in which contestants have plastic surgery before cameras.
·All American Girl, a talent competition measuring brains, athletics and, of course, beauty.

A show also is in the works in which family members fight over a still-living relative's inheritance.

Though viewers seem fixated on reality even as new sitcoms and dramas are struggling, ABC promises not to overwhelm viewers, concentrating the shows in just a few hours of the network's 22-hour prime-time schedule.

Despite appearances, "there is no massive move to reality," programming chief Susan Lyne says. "But there's no way broadcast networks are going to ignore a genre that has the kind of appeal these shows do." (Related item: The ABCs of reality TV success .)

Yet the "reality craze can be like crack for network executives," an addictive fix for the failure of other series, she says.

Two years ago, ABC relied too heavily on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire without developing enough new sitcoms and dramas, a mistake Lyne promises not to repeat: She bought an unprecedented 80 scripts for proposed dramas next fall.

Even ABC's competitors acknowledge it has made strides this season (aided by The Bachelor, of course) from a dismal 2001-02 year. ABC has stopped its ratings freefall: Though its total audience is down 5% from record lows, the network has gained among young viewers, which translates to higher rates for advertisers.

Yet all four of its new fall dramas have been canceled. And despite some success with returning family comedies among new shows, "aside from 8 Simple Rules, nothing can be considered a clear success," Magna Global USA analyst Steve Sternberg says.

ABC Entertainment chairman Lloyd Braun says it will take time to recover from a seven-year slump masked only by the temporary success of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.

"Now it's about plugging holes, not stopping an avalanche," he says. "That's totally different from where we were a year ago."

orangefan15

Does anyone else here think this is a bad idea? Just as Millionaire and all the other game shows like it wore out, so too will all the stupid reality shows. ABC seems to be jumping on the bandwagon just as its about to exit the highway. Nothing like being behind the times (not that I really like the whole reality show thing anyway).

General Grizz

It's just jumping into what 'hip' and 'worthy' now a days...unless they can turn around soon, they'll be speeding down hill faster and faster...and they might just hit a brick wall.

SirNim

Tsk tsk.

Entropy. Disney was founded on some very basic ideals, very tight-knit and with a common purpose. However, in recent times (including tonight), these ideas have quietly, yet blatently, shifted. Now, Disney (ABC and Disney itself) have redefined themselves, without evaluating the consequences. Disney is exercising Entropy. Which may very well be its doom. :( :cry:

It is appaling to see a Disney-owned network using this cheap vehicle to success so rapidly and blatently. This cheap vehicle (otherwise known as reality show/cable show/$--x appeal) has infiltrated its way into Disney, unfortunately, and may very well be the virus that will amplify and multiply until total implosion occurs - the meltdown, perhaps, of one of America's best-loved companies. THe key to Disney's success through the decades has been its pioneering spirit, its unconventionality, offering things all the other companies were not. In stooping to these newer offerings, Disney sets itself up for disaster. Let us watch what comes of it.:(

:cry:

:fork: :fork: :fork: :mad:

Now boycotting ABC as well...

TURKEY

I'm not really for this. However, it seems to be what the people want. You can either die by not doing it (failing to get any audience it seems) or die doing (turning so many people off). By not doing it, it seems that ratings will be terrible and people will complain about how terrible the network is performing. Doing it, people complain about how terrible a Disney business is performing ethically. It really is a Catch-22.

wed050499

Hey all,

I just thought i'd chime in with this little tidbit of information. I'm currently concluding my reading of The Disney Films by Leonard Maltin (an excellent book btw) and when I look how Walt and the company used his network tv show during the 1950's-1970's and how the company is using ABC now, there's less difference than I think is realized. Aside from the hour and a half "infommercials" (as Maltin puts it) that Walt would make and are not found now on network tv, the ABC of today is quite similar to the Wonderful World of Color and later Disney that existed then. Walt used the Disney TV show to air those movies that when sent to the theaters, bombed or were merely a medium success there, usually. Movies like "The Adventures of Bullwhip Green," "The Moon-Spinners," or "A Tiger Walks" where really not innovative films by any means, but instead were those films that Walt and his people thought the people liked. In "The Adventures of Bullwhip Green" the company was trying to jump on the latter part of the western comedy bandwagon but fell off with a tremendous thud. Many of Walt's live action films ended up this way and the Disney TV show was really a dumping ground for these. Of course you have some revolutionary shows such as "Davy Crockett" and "Zorro," but these were really few and far between. Walt was one for jumping on a bandwagon as much as any other producer was or ever will be. And as much as any producer was or ever will be, Walt would sometimes create the bandwagon, as ABC did with Millionaire and Walt did with Mary Poppins. I believe from my studies and the studies of others (Maltin, Canemaker, Greene, Thomas, and others) that had Walt himself owned ABC, it probably wouldn't look terribly different from what you have now.

And to respond how Walt's TV shows and movies seemingly always pertained to the family. For every one that did pertain to the entire family, there seems to be another 2-3 that didnt. (Again referring to Maltin's book)

Hope this helps,
Brian

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom