ABC Theater New Show???

Legacy

I have to agree. Doug was doing great, and it was one of the BEST shows in the entire World, but I'm afraid that the reason they dropped it was because Funnie and the gang were seriously losing thier marketabililty. Doug is kinda a cult classic, and keeping a show like that is along the lines of spending 6 million dollars to develop a Monty Python Live and keeping it for a decade. It just isnt profitable in the long run.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I've got no inside info on the future of the former Superstar TV theatre, but if the new Animagique show at Walt Disney Studios in Paris is popular, maybe a U.S. version will appear here. (Although it uses blacklight like Voyage with the Little Mermaid does, so I'm probably just wasting space here.) I do agree that like this post, that empty theatre IS a huge waste of space at this time. Let's just hope this doesn't become the Disney-MGM Studios version of the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea lagoon.

dizpins14

From what I hear, Disney sold Doug, I think back to Viacom. This is why Disney had to get rid of the show even though it was filling the theaters. Disney has stopped making new Doug shows and that's why the Disney Doug is now on Toon Disney all the time.

Legacy

If Viacom got it back, I wonder if that means that stories along the lines of the original Doug show are coming. (Im sorry its off topic, but theres really nowhere else to make a comment like this

Testtrack321

Doug was awful. Monty Python was good :animwink: . The main reason why it did so well was because it had four or five showings a day. Not like the 7 or 8 in typical shows per day for other shows. Don't look for anything soon. A poster in the light up sign in front of the past show said "We are putting a new into production here" or something like that, was up when I was there in August. Then it was taken down a little later that week........

MKCustodial

Since it's ABC, I really think they should put something in the lines of Whose Line Is It, Anyway? I know we have Comedy Warehouse for that, and they are really great, but it'd be really cool to have something related to Whose Line at MGM.

P.S.: Never liked Doug, hate the cartoon.:hurl:

Goofster

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking, but I'm sure it'd be tough for Disney to find im-prov people that will do it multiple times a day, multiple days a week. I mean, all that thinking would be tough on a persons brain. And it would just be cheesy if it was a Whose Line Show with a script.

wyattkelly

Originally posted by Testtrack321
Doug was awful. Monty Python was good :animwink: . The main reason why it did so well was because it had four or five showings a day. Not like the 7 or 8 in typical shows per day for other shows.

Ummm...what is this Monty Python Live? did I miss something?

"THis is an Ex-Parrot!"
"It's pining for the fjords."
:lol:

DisJosh

Yeah Doug was umm how do I say this...STUPID. lol And I'm a huge fan of the cartoon show. :D

Hey Josh, whats with stealing my screen name? :p ;)

jcmayid

Doug sucks, both cartoon and show, and Monty Python is just plain old rude and stupid. Don't bash me, MY OPINION!!!

MrPromey

Originally posted by dizpins14
From what I hear, Disney sold Doug, I think back to Viacom. This is why Disney had to get rid of the show even though it was filling the theaters. Disney has stopped making new Doug shows and that's why the Disney Doug is now on Toon Disney all the time.

That wouldn't make a lot of sense. Even if DIsney had sold the rights, they could have easily put a provision in the contract that would give them exclusive licensing of the characters in their theme parks. The simple fact that they still show any of the Doug cartoons in a Disney channel suggest that if there was a sale, it wasn't a total buyout - at least not without some sort of provisions... In any event, regardless of what I personally think about the theme, the show always seemed sort of like a quick fix for the theater. The sets were very, very plain and the whole thing always felt like it cold have been on a stage about a third the size. Personally, I think the show was meant to promote the movie which has come and gone. I think a newer version of Superstar TV with themes based off of show currently on ABC with the real actors parts in (like the original had in many places) would be really cool. It would be a great cross promotion for both the park and the network. Only problem is that they need to get their lineup hammered out before they try building an attraction around something like this. Having a scene based off of a show that was canceled months ago would be like... having a scene somewhere in the park based on something like Home Improvement which has been off the air for years. :rolleyes: ;)

Testtrack321

Possible TV Shows For "Superstar Television: The Re-Broadcast" (that's my name for it :) ).
-My Wife and Kids
-Who's Line is it Anyway
-The Mole
-Drew Carry Show

Any more ideas?

Originally posted by jcmayid
Doug sucks, both cartoon and show, and Monty Python is just plain old rude and stupid. Don't bash me, MY OPINION!!!

Don't really care for Monty but Doug (the cartoon) definitely did not suck!! He was such a cool kid :) The show in MGM on the other hand....

What was goin on with his hair in the show? It was spiked up in maybe 8 or 9 individual spikes....hard to explain...but anyways it looked REALLY TACKY. And Porkchop was even worse looking!!! Overall it was a cute kiddie show but didn't really have staying power.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom