ABC News hires first black female president

Slpy3270

Original Poster
As expected, Disney has named Kim Godwin, formerly of CBS, as the new president of ABC News, replacing James Goldston who left last month.

She's the first black female executive to run a broadcast news department. Devastating loss for an already tumultuous CBS.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"After weeks of speculation, Kim Godwin is leaving her post as President of ABC News. Debra OConnell, who added ABC News to her portfolio in February, will run the department in the interim. She made the announcement internally, with Godwin also addressing her staff. You can read the memos below.

At the time of OConnell’s February promotion when ABC News was put under her purview, Disney countered speculation about Godwin’s future by revealing that she had extended her contract to continue as ABC News President, now reporting to OConnell."

The memos to staff can be found at the link below.

Brian

According to CNN, Godwin's leadership style, or lack thereof, was to blame for her forced departure.

From CNN a few days ago:

OConnell, according to people familiar with the matter, has been astonished by Godwin’s management — or lack thereof — at the network. In private conversations, OConnell has pointed to a slew of problems that have materialized on Godwin’s watch, faulting the embattled ABC News chief for her hands-off leadership style, which she believes has allowed problems to fester.

According to The Wall Street Journal:

Godwin was often criticized by current and former ABC News staffers for not being as involved in the day-to-day operations compared with her predecessors. Critics said Godwin seemed more focused on boosting her profile than in the grind of running a news division. During her tenure, much of ABC News's veteran leadership was ousted, The Wall Street Journal previously reported, and she doesn't have an obvious internal successor.

Last edited:

Brian

no comment GIF

TP2000

Yep. I’m sure that’s it exactly.

Apparently it's been brewing for a while. Many ABC staffers were getting annoyed and "frustrated" at the lack of decisive leadership from Disney' big bosses as ABC News continued to falter, according to this CNN article from last week...

"Over the last 24 hours CNN spoke with more than 20 people inside and close to the network, many of whom made contact on their own volition to candidly share their complaints about Godwin and the era of angst she has ushered in since taking the helm in 2021. The newsroom leader, they have said, has made several profound errors, including her hands-off approach to governing, a lack of strategic vision for the newsroom, the elimination of talent-relations leadership, the appointment of an inner-circle that has alienated staffers, among a stream of other complaints."

TP2000

This thread made me think... "Who even watches the nightly news any more?" I'm old, and I don't even watch those programs any more, nor do I know anyone older who does. I doubt many younger folks even know they exist.

According to Nielsen, the ABC World News Tonight had an average of 1,040,000 nightly viewers under age 55 in April, 2024. That is just 0.7% of the US population under age 55 that is tuning in to ABC World News Tonight.

Comped

This thread made me think... "Who even watches the nightly news any more?" I'm old, and I don't even watch those programs any more, nor do I know anyone older who does. I doubt many younger folks even know they exist.

According to Nielsen, the ABC World News Tonight had an average of 1,040,000 nightly viewers under age 55 in April, 2024. That is just 0.7% of the US population under age 55 that is tuning in to ABC World News Tonight.
I watch it, and I am well under 55. Started during the pandemic (for obvious reasons), and never really stopped.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom