AAA Diamond Parking?

Animaniac93-98

Why are you arguing this simple issue?

Because your whole moral objecion is based on the possibility of some disabled person needing that spot.

If the pass was not sold on ebay, would you still object to it being used for the same parking spot?

If your real concern is over the limited number of handicap spaces, complain about that. Not a program intended first for AAA customers.

dadddio

Because your whole moral objecion is based on the possibility of some disabled person needing that spot.

If the pass was not sold on ebay, would you still object to it being used for the same parking spot?

If your real concern is over the lack of handicap spaces, complain about that. Not a program intended first for AAA customers.
You'll note that my issue is not with AAA members who obtain these passes appropriately and use them as intended. Therefore, it has nothing to do with the spots being intended 'first for AAA customers'. My issue is with people who use these passes contrary to the requirements listed on the passes themselves, thereby increasing utilization of these small lots beyond their design and, therefore, taking parking spaces that are needed by others.

Goofyernmost

We have attempted to park and found no spots available in both handicap and diamond.
So??? Is it not possible that people could be legitimately parking there. They use it IF there are spaces available. Otherwise, they have designated areas for handicapped parking and for Diamond parking. Try to guess how many of those handicapped spaces are being used by people that aren't really handicapped as well. It's really not that much of an issue and if fingers need to be pointed they can be pointed in many different directions.

dadddio

So??? Is it not possible that people could be legitimately parking there. They use it IF there are spaces available. Otherwise, they have designated areas for handicapped parking and for Diamond parking. Try to guess how many of those handicapped spaces are being used by people that aren't really handicapped as well. It's really not that much of an issue and if fingers need to be pointed they can be pointed in many different directions.
First of all, for someone who believes that AAA parking is a waste and doesn't have much value, you sure do have strong feelings about this issue.

Second, if spots are taken that block a HC vehicle from parking, it doesn't matter if one ebayer parked there or a hundred.

Finally, to your issue of non-HC people parking in the HC lot, that's what tow trucks are for.

Goofyernmost

First of all, for someone who believes that AAA parking is a waste and doesn't have much value, you sure do have strong feelings about this issue.

Second, if spots are taken that block a HC vehicle from parking, it doesn't matter if one ebayer parked there or a hundred.

Finally, to your issue of non-HC people parking in the HC lot, that's what tow trucks are for.
OK, your right, I'm wrong. I'm fine with that.

The non-handicapped people parking there are the ones that have access to a handicapped sign in their window, but, are not themselves handicapped. You would be amazed at how many of those are out there and are used for the convenience instead of necessity. I used to have one in my car all the time because of my Care Home. I didn't use it unless someone needed it, but, I certainly could have and there would have been nothing that anyone could do about it. It may not be ethical, but, at first glance, it is legally parked. No towing would have happened.

The reason why I have feelings about it (I wouldn't call them strong) is because I view it as a scam. It is no more convenient to park your car in the AAA area then to park in the regular area and take the tram in. In fact, at MK it requires more walking then the regular parking area. As usual, Disney, in partnership with AAA, have decided to create there own little perk, that really isn't a perk. However, people buy into it.

dadddio

The non-handicapped people parking there are the ones that have access to a handicapped sign in their window, but, are not themselves handicapped. You would be amazed at how many of those are out there and are used for the convenience instead of necessity.
Not being a mind reader or the personal physician of every other person, I have no way of knowing whether every person who has a HC placard truly needs it. That being said, I'm not seeing HC placards for sale on ebay.

Goofyernmost

Not being a mind reader or the personal physician of every other person, I have no way of knowing whether every person who has a HC placard truly needs it. That being said, I'm not seeing HC placards for sale on ebay.
How someone got either a AAA pass or a HC placard that isn't for them, is irrelevant. However, it is much more wrong to ACTUALLY deprive a real HC person a place because it is convenient. There is a difference between a complimentary parking pass for the purchase of a travel package and a person with a handicap and that includes the area that it is located.

If they have distributed X number of AAA passes then they were intended to be used by people other than handicapped. If they have places remaining for overflow of the HC area, great they should use it for that purpose, but, to say that the AAA parking and the people using it are guilty of denying a HC a place to park. That's just not true. If people are counterfeiting passes that is different, but, not by much. But just because I didn't use the pass that was GIVEN to me doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with someone with a different name using it since it is not linked to a name and is a frivolous perk to begin with.
Besides that absolutely no additional spaces are used up because of it. It's the same space whether I use it or someone else does. It's still full of car!

Last edited:

dadddio

How someone got either a AAA pass or a HC placard that isn't for them, is irrelevant. However, it is much more wrong to ACTUALLY deprive a real HC person a place because it is convenient. There is a difference between a complimentary parking pass for the purchase of a travel package and a person with a handicap and that includes the area that it is located.

If they have distributed X number of AAA passes then they were intended to be used by people other than handicapped. If they have places remaining for overflow of the HC area, great they should use it for that purpose, but, to say that the AAA parking and the people using it are guilty of denying a HC a place to park. That's just not true. If people are counterfeiting passes that is different, but, not by much. But just because I didn't use the pass that was GIVEN to me doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with someone with a different name using it since it is not linked to a name and is a frivolous perk to begin with.
Besides that absolutely no additional spaces are used up because of it. It's the same space whether I use it or someone else does. It's still full of car!
Don't alter my position just because it makes it easier to argue against. I have no problem with people who use their properly obtained AAA Diamond parking passes.

Further, to say that people buying these passes on ebay doesn't put additional cars in that lot is completely wrong. Imagine that there are 100 slots in that lot and 100 passes are distributed each month. In February, twenty of the January visitors sell there passes on ebay. Those twenty passes get reused, boosting usage later in the year. Each month, the problem snowballs as more and more people resell their passes and people return to use them again and again until year's end.

It's not just that Guest A didn't use his pass, so he gave it to Guest B. Instead, it is one pass that is used by Guest A, B, C, and D.

Goofyernmost

Don't alter my position just because it makes it easier to argue against. I have no problem with people who use their properly obtained AAA Diamond parking passes.

Further, to say that people buying these passes on ebay doesn't put additional cars in that lot is completely wrong. Imagine that there are 100 slots in that lot and 100 passes are distributed each month. In February, twenty of the January visitors sell there passes on ebay. Those twenty passes get reused, boosting usage later in the year. Each month, the problem snowballs as more and more people resell their passes and people return to use them again and again until year's end.

It's not just that Guest A didn't use his pass, so he gave it to Guest B. Instead, it is one pass that is used by Guest A, B, C, and D.
That's on Disney to not have a system to police it. Obviously, they don't care and frankly neither do I. Let's agree to disagree. Your scenario is as iffy as mine. But, it is always the same, there is no guarantee when someone is going to use it. Just that they have one. There are no dates on the passes.

dadddio

That's on Disney to not have a system to police it.
The idea that it is OK to ignore rules if there aren't enough safeguards in place to stop you is bad logic, in my opinion.

That being said, it looks like there'll be a big safeguard against this abuse in the near future, given that it has been reported that AAA Diamond Parking is going away. One wonders if it might have stuck around had people not abused it.

BuzzKillington

That's on Disney to not have a system to police it. Obviously, they don't care and frankly neither do I.

Ha!! Like how Disney polices the DAS? All someone has to do is say their kid has autism and they get the golden ticket. Let's face it, losers high-jack grannie's HC placard and park illegally all the time and Disney can do nothing about it (just like DAS). Another example of how Disney could care a less about the "truly disabled".

dadddio

Ha!! Like how Disney polices the DAS? All someone has to do is say their kid has autism and they get the golden ticket. Let's face it, losers high-jack grannie's HC placard and park illegally all the time and Disney can do nothing about it (just like DAS). Another example of how Disney could care a less about the "truly disabled".
It's not as if they can ask to see your medical records. By taking your word for it that you have the disability that you claim, they are ensuring that they don't unreasonably (and illegally) block the access of 'truly disabled' guests. That being said, I am a little concerned about what your definition of 'truly disabled' is.

Goofyernmost

I don't agree with that at all. Disney does, more then most places, care about the disabled. What they have to deal with is the fact the the law does not allow them to do anything but accept the word of people that are scamming them. Nor can they assume that granny's placard has been used without granny present. Laws to protect have to be liberal enough to make sure that there is no gray area that falls in the negative direction of the disabled. That law, sometimes, actually hurts the disabled because the lack of morality of the masses that will abuse it. I would happily slash the tires of anyone that I knew illegally parked in a handicapped parking space. But, it is impossible to know who is faking and who isn't.

However, AAA parking is NOT, nor has it ever had anything to do with disabilities. People that think that someone gets hurt or loses their ability to enjoy their day because someone else used someone elses AAA pass are just wrong. It is a non-issue and not worthy of any of the discussion we have given it.

dadddio

However, AAA parking is NOT, nor has it ever had anything to do with disabilities. People that think that someone gets hurt or loses their ability to enjoy their day because someone else used someone elses AAA pass are just wrong. It is a non-issue and not worthy of any of the discussion we have given it.
This is especially true if one disregards the facts that the AAA lot is the overflow for the HC lot and that a higher than projected utilization of AAA passes because some are obtained fraudulently can result in these lots being completely filled when they otherwise would not be. It then certainly becomes an issue for those people who are inconvenienced by the fraudulent activity. But it's not an issue for people if 1) they do not have to rely on a HC pass and 2) they believe that the AAA parking is a waste and doesn't have value.

Last edited:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Whatever you say, doc....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom