Pre-Trip A Trip 8 Years in the Making...

It may be a little early, but now that I'm past the 180 day mark, I think its about time to finally start my pre-trip report! So let me start giving you the details:

Who: Our cast of characters is myself Melissa (32), my Dad (67), my Mom (65), and my brother Matt (27). My sister Stephanie (24) will be meeting us down there mid week with her bf Steve (25).

Me, my parents, and my brother

My sister and her bf

When: Me, my brothers, and my parents will be flying down on the evening of Friday August 19th. My sister and her bf will be meeting us on August 25th and we will all fly home August 29th.

Where: All Star Movies Resort

Why: Our last trip to WDW was back in 2008. Since then we've been trying to book another trip several times, but it just never materialized. I had moved out for a while and had been living a few states away and both my Mom and I had to work around school schedules. Every time we got close to booking we were hit by something major in the house breaking or some other financial crisis that prevented us from going. Finally now that both my parents are receiving Social Security we've been able to scrape enough money so it's looking like this time it's a go!

How: We will be flying down on Southwest airlines. More on that to come.

DimpledDevil18

Original Poster
So here is our itinerary as it now stands at the moment.

Friday August 19th: We were originally supposed to leave on Saturday August 20th. My Dad was supposed to be in charge of air fare while I planned and booked our theme park days and meals. I kept reminding him to start looking at flights, but of course he procrastinated and then he almost had a heart attack when fares were like $500 a person round trip. Anyway his procrastination actually led to our gain because in finagling with the dates and times, he figured it'll be much cheaper to fly Friday afternoon and take a layover in Baltimore. So now we are leaving Long Island at around 1:30 and should arrive in Orlando at 7:10. If we can't add an extra night to our stay at All Star Movies we'll probably just grab a hotel for the night in Kissimmee. We just booked our air fare tonight, so he has to find all this out tomorrow. We figure we'll land, get our rental car, hit Wal-Mart for supplies, maybe grab a quick meal, and if we have time we can go to Disney Springs to walk around and do some shopping.

Saturday August 20th- Now we have the entire day in the parks versus just a half day that we had originally planned. We are planning on visiting Animal Kingdom first. We have a 5:45pm ADR for Rainforest Cafe.

Sunday August 21st- Disney Hollywood Studios. We have a 3:40 late lunch/early dinner reservation at Mama Melrose's for the Fantasmic Dining Package.

Monday August 22nd- Epcot. We have a 3:50pm late lunch/ early dinner reservation at San Angel Inn.

Tuesday August 23rd- Magic Kingdom (finally!) We have a 9:20am character breakfast reservation at O'hana. (We always do this breakfast. It's become sort of a tradition for us every trip!)

Wednesday August 24th- Back to Epcot for a 2nd day. Maybe going to try to do a little drinking around the world although we will probably cheat and share a few drinks. Also my sister and her bf will be arriving. They are taking the Magical Express from the airport and after they check in the hotel will meet us at Epcot. We have a 6:15pm dinner reservation at Le Cellier which I'm super excited for because I've always wanted to eat there!

Thursday August 25th- 8:30am breakfast reservation at Grand Floridian Cafe and then off to Universal Studios for the day.

Friday August 26th- Islands of Adventure. Probably going to grab dinner somewhere in Universal.

Saturday August 27th- This is our catch up/free day. I left the majority of the day open for us to hop back to any of the other Disney parks to catch anything we missed or want to do again. I also left it open for us to do a water park if we feel up to it. My sister and her bf will probably do some park hopping to catch up on things they missed. We were going to eat at Big River Grille on the Boardwalk for dinner, but I had a few members of this forum suggest to rethink that. When I brought that up with the rest of my family, my Dad suggested that maybe we do a character dinner since my sister and her bf would miss our character breakfast. So we decided to try the buffet at Chef Mickey's in the Contemporary. We've never tried it so why not! We have a 7pm reservation (I may see if I can get it a bit earlier) and then we'll probably head over to Disney Springs for the night so my brother and my sisters bf can play video games at Disney Quest.

Sunday August 28th- Our last park day and of course what better way to spend it then at Magic Kingdom. And what a better place to eat than Be Our Guest. (Okay maybe the castle is better, but we've done that a few times already and we're kind of over it). We have a 6:25pm reservation for dinner.

Monday August 29th- Time to head on back home. Check out and maybe stop at the Disney outlets on route to the airport. We have a 4 hour layover on the trip home (no bueno) in Baltimore. Then its back to work for me on Tuesday. I'll be exhausted, but I'll live. It's totally worth it!

KikoKea

Sounds like a busy, fun trip!

Have you seen any of the other resorts? With your free day, you might enjoy taking the resort monorail and stopping at each resort (minus GF if you looked around before breakfast). There's a boat to the nearby Wilderness Lodge, which has a beautiful lobby and water feature. The Animal Kingdom Lodge is very nice, too, and you can see the animals out back. These are some of our favorite resorts to visit, and then head to DS afterwards.

jrogue

So now we are leaving Long Island
Hey! Long Island! You're close by, I'm a born and bred Brooklyn gal :)

Super jealous of your trip plan! I wish I could stay that long on my upcoming trip. Your restaurant choices sound great, as do your plans. I second what KikoKea said about exploring the resorts. There's a torch lighting ceremony at the Polynesian's lobby on Tuesdays - Saturdays at 6pm, so if you have some free time you should check it out. Then you can head on over to the Contemporary from there!

DimpledDevil18

Original Poster
So I'm home sick today from work and have been reading a ton of trip reports and now I'm so amped up for my trip, but still 115 days to go. I'm kind of at that point where all my ADRs are booked, we have a pretty good idea of what parks we are visiting when, but its still too early to worry about FP's. So yea there isn't much to do except to grow impatient. I have started to pick up a few things clothing wise. I got a few Disney tshirts, but that's about it. In a few weeks I'll probably try looking for some new shorts and stuff

The only change right now is my sister and her bf are actually going to fly down on Tues night versus Wed afternoon since its cheaper. It'll be tight, but they can squeeze into one of our rooms for the night before checking into their own room on Wed morning. Of course we just miss free dining since it starts on the 23rd, but my Dad may still be able to get it for my sister and her bf since they check in on the 24th. He's going to call the travel agent and see if that'll save us any money.

I'm bummed to realize that as it stands now BTMR is scheduled to be down for refurbishment during my trip. That's a bummer since its a major attraction. Also I read that IASW is going down for refurbishment on 8/22, so I will definitely have to hop over to MK one of the first two days to squeeze my ride on it. (Yea the song is annoying, but I absolutely love the Mary Blair dolls).

DimpledDevil18

Original Poster
I thought that since I'm bored and I've got Disney on the brain that I'd do something a little different and kind of give you all an overview on my prior Disney park background I guess. I always find it interesting to hear other people's personal connections to the parks and how many times they've visited, but I'm just a dork like that. As you can tell from the thread title it has been a LONG time since I've been back to the parks, but in actuality this will be my 7th trip to WDW which kind of blows my mind a bit.

My first trip was way back in 1987. At that time it was only my Mom, my Dad, me, and my brother Sammy (who isn't able to come with us on this trip). I was 3 and Sammy was almost 2. My parents had only been to Disney once pre-kids in I believe 1979. Even though there was only Magic Kingdom and Epcot back then and we visited Sea World, I don't think my parents were quite prepared for the stress of navigating Disney with two kids under the age of 4. I only remember bits and pieces from that first trip, but from stories my Mom has told me it was a handful and although we had a good time, my parents vowed they would not be back until we were at least old enough to walk by ourselves and not need strollers.

Along came my brother Matt in 1989 and my sister Stephanie in 1992, so another trip wasn't really on the horizon until 1997. Now that Stephanie was at least 4, my parents were considering giving Disney another try. Only this time Disney had doubled in size and there was also Universal Studios to see as well as Sea World. There were some really good stories from this trip which I'll share at another time, but basically my poor 4 year old sister was a real trooper. For only being 4 we dragged her through a pretty grueling schedule.

Our next trip came pretty unexpectedly. It was now 2000 and I was 16 years old. My brother Matt who was involved in Cub Scouts at the time was entered into a drawing for selling a certain number of boxes of popcorn. The grand prize was a three night stay for a family of four at a Disney resort and park hoppers. Well, believe it or not Matt's name was chosen. We couldn't pass up this opportunity so my Dad just added on some extra nights and the extra people so all 6 of us could go. We wound up staying at Dixie Landings (before it became Port Orleans Riverside) for 3 nights and then switching over to a Days Inn Suites in Kissimmee for the remainder of the trip. This was our first experience staying on site and we were spoiled from the get go. It was definitely a let down staying in Kissimmee for the second half of the trip.

My parents celebrated their 25th wedding anniversary in 2003 and had been wanting to take special family trip for the occasion. By that time we'd definitely been bitten by the Disney bug, so trip number 4 was booked. We stayed at All Star Music for 10 days. We did Disney, Universal, Sea World, and squeezed in Busch Gardens. Of course my parents got bride and groom Mickey and Minnie ears to wear in the parks. It was a really great trip!

I never dreamed that I would be back in the parks in as short 7-8 months later, but that's what happened. One of my best friends at the time and I decided we wanted to go away for Spring Break and it just so happened that her Grandma lived in Winter Park. So we flew down in April of 2004 to visit with her for a few days before heading over to Disney for 3 days at All Star Sports. This was a very strange experience for me being in Disney without my family, but it was a welcome change of pace. Usually on my family trips we are in such a rush to see everything that we seldom take the time to just relax and explore things we don't usually get a chance to experience. I didn't feel upset missing out some of the rides since I had just been there. It gave us the opportunity to explore some of the resorts and enjoy some really great meals. I also got to experience Pleasure Island which I was glad I had the opportunity to do. My one regret is on our MK day my friend got sick and stayed back at the resort most of the day. I went to MK, but instead of taking advantage of the opportunity to explore on my own, I wound up sitting on a bench in Adventureland for a good part of the day on the phone with my brother complaining how bored I was. Man, how I want to kick my 20 yr old self in hindsight!

Our last trip was in 2008 for my parent's 30th anniversary. Since the 25th was so good we decided to do it again 5 years later. It was a very different experience in that the youngest person in our party was my sister who was 16. We didn't feel the urgency to have to do it all, even though we hadn't been there in a few years. We knew what we wanted to see and what we didn't. We still rode a lot, but somehow we also had time to enjoy drinks in some of the countries in Epcot, go to Typhoon Lagoon, walk around Downtown Disney, and even do mini golf. We also had some great meals.

In the years after that there have been at least two other attempted Disney trips that we were all set to plan, until something or another happened to put off our dreams. Every year my Dad would bring up Disney and I'd get hopeful, but then reality would crash in and I'd realize that there was just no way we'd be able to do it. I'd say I was going to plan a trip for myself, but it just never materialized. Not to be all doom and gloom, but there a lot of rough things going on and our chances of going to Disney seemed slim to none.

Things have started to look up a bit and my Dad wanted to do a big trip this summer. His original plan was to go out to CA and do DL and then of course do all the touristy things out there like Hollywood. Although I would love to visit DL some day we convinced him that we'd rather come back to WDW which is closer and bigger and has so many new things since our last visit. He agreed and now here we are!

So anyway I'm sorry if I rambled on too much or bored anyone. If you'd like to hear some more in depth stories about my previous trips let me know. Maybe I'll do some retro mini trip reports.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom