A Teenager's Review of Disneyland (Adventureland)

Mr. Tux

Original Poster
Adventureland

While this area is focused on the natural environment of the world’s tropical regions, it is loosely placed in the 1930s, with its Big Band music, 1930s era machinery and cars, and the cast members’ decade inspired attire. I think the Jungle Cruise is enjoyable and humorous as it is slow, peaceful, and has the boats’ skippers cracking dad jokes. Indiana Jones is a good ride as it does bring you into the world of an Indiana Jones movie with the Raiders’ March theme song blasting you on the speakers and its well detailed set pieces. But some elements of the ride are revolting such as the cheap looking section where skeletons in the “booby trap” section of the ride look like they are painted onto the walls. This choice seems like something the penny-pinching Eisner would do in 2001. Elements such as these heavily detract from the ride’s immersion and enjoyability. I also enjoy Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room as the show itself is amusing, but is too long for modern audiences.

MoonRakerSCM

It's interesting how the dart skeletons are distinctly flat painted pieces and are noticeable... there are so many other portions of the ride that are also just painted 2d surfaces but go unnoticed and work great. I guess in the dart room, you're paying attention to them so you're specifically looking at them.

I also enjoy Walt Disney’s Enchanted Tiki Room as the show itself is amusing, but is too long for modern audiences.
Interesting as the show is already a shortened version from the original.

Mr. Tux

Original Poster
It's interesting how the dart skeletons are distinctly flat painted pieces and are noticeable... there are so many other portions of the ride that are also just painted 2d surfaces but go unnoticed and work great. I guess in the dart room, you're paying attention to them so you're specifically looking at them.

Interesting as the show is already a shortened version from the original.
I think it’s because the ride slows down at that point, and yes the “shortened” 15 minute show is still too long for me.

MoonRakerSCM

(note, I started typing stuff... and then just kept going... I'll leave it all here, hopefully it makes sense, I guess what I'm really getting at is what I see as a bigger trend in moving away from slower pace entertainment thus not allowing certain elements to shine. Tiki room is about the music more than anything imo.)

It's certainly not a thrill ride, it's just a simple little musical presentation. Are there any other rides you consider too long/ dare I say "boring"? I wont judge you for it, I'm curious.

I recall back in school I had to take History of CA (good ole CSU system), and I actually had a spectacular professor who started off each lecture with a song about or related to California. Everything from our state song (have you ever actually heard that thing???) to Guns N Roses. One day he started off with Hotel California. Afterward we got into discussion and one woman stated "It was too slow and boring in the beginning, it took forever to start!" and I was beside myself!

It's obvious that as everything advances so does our taste for entertainment. People used to sit in front of the radio and listen to a person talk about something... and now the standard is 10-20 second video loops on Tik-Tok.

I'm babbling but this is something I am interested in these days as in my opinion, I see a lot of media art suffering because of it. Great example for me is the Star Wars sequels... they're a much faster pace and one of things that upsets me the most about the films is there are not big sweeping OR slow moments to let the music swell and shine. The originals and prequels excelled at this. Many of the greatest films 'of all time' are just as known for the music as anything else, and I feel that a lot of modern films do not allow for it due to their faster pacing.

Question for the Tiki Room, did you ever visit as a kid? Enjoy it as a kid?

Mr. Tux

Original Poster
The issue is not that the tiki room is slow, I like long rides and movies (like Pirates and Jurassic Park) but the issue is that other than the Tiki, Tiki Tiki Room song, the other songs are unmemorable and sometimes in this musician’s opinion are worse than the music the family cat makes, and I saw the tiki room first as a preteen

MoonRakerSCM

You mean you don't sing like the birdies sing and whistle along to the song???

For me is the namesake song and the ending sequence. The middle is as you said, yeah, rather unmemorable.

I remember enjoying it as young kid and then growing out of it in the teens. Slowly but surely though... nothing beats grabbing a dole whip and sitting down for a show on a warm day...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom