A sequel? Nah, not this one

Ldno

Path of survival and staying afloat, I saw this in ATT, they were budget cuts for everything and getting rid of employees and positions not needed starting from the top, this was pre pandemic though, now it’s worse. Back then it was all meeting metrics or busT, now no one is safe

Lora Baines Bradley

Maybe and maybe not. The life expectancy of a fortune 500 company is something like 40 years. Look at the companies that made up the DOW index 100 years ago verses now. You probably won't recognize them. Go back 50 years and look. A once great company like General Electric is not a sure bet to continue and they were one company that was in the DOW for the entire 20th century. There simply is no guarantee that companies, no matter how invincible they look, have a lock on survival.

Disney makes money, yes they do. Hemingway once said first you go broke slowly, then all of a sudden. All Disney needs to do is deny the reality and make a few short years of bad decisions. I honestly don't know what path they are on right now.
I’m far from a financial expert but I would think companies like Disney are much different than GE in the 20th century. aren’t they “too big to fail”? I feel if they really were close to going under, they’d get a bailout. But who is to say, honestly. And again, this is all speculation from someone who knows next to nothing about these things

UNCgolf

I’m far from a financial expert but I would think companies like Disney are much different than GE in the 20th century. aren’t they “too big to fail”? I feel if they really were close to going under, they’d get a bailout. But who is to say, honestly. And again, this is all speculation from someone who knows next to nothing about these things

It's not so much that they would outright fail; it's that they could be broken up and sold off in pieces.

Not that I think Disney is in danger of that.

Last edited:

Mrtko

Actually Disney isn't that big or that vital to any national interest worthy of a bailout or even concern. Comcast is actually much bigger. All of the Disney business units have competitors that would step in and fill any gap left behind. Except for nostalgia, a Disney that shrinks or even vanishes would not be missed except in the communities where employment was affected and that would dissipate over time.

General Electric is much more vital company to the nation as they make military aircraft engines, power generating plants and critical health care devices. I am sure GE is being watched very closely and if they fail completely, there will be critical discussions about migrating key aspects of their business into safe hands. Nothing like that will happen for Disney.

the.dreamfinder

Actually Disney isn't that big or that vital to any national interest worthy of a bailout or even concern. Comcast is actually much bigger. All of the Disney business units have competitors that would step in and fill any gap left behind. Except for nostalgia, a Disney that shrinks or even vanishes would not be missed except in the communities where employment was affected and that would dissipate over time.

General Electric is much more vital company to the nation as they make military aircraft engines, power generating plants and critical health care devices. I am sure GE is being watched very closely and if they fail completely, there will be critical discussions about migrating key aspects of their business into safe hands. Nothing like that will happen for Disney.
Culturally it is. Hollywood is one of America’s biggest soft power exports. Its collapse would be considerable.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Since some of you were wondering what is on the table and what isn't, here's the latest update from a friend. Take it with a grain of salt, but this particular source has been mostly accurate in the past.

Status of Active Projects

DL:

Tomorrowland Redo - Infinitely Delayed
Runaway Railway - No changes, timeline delayed by 5 months
Galaxy's Edge Interactive Phase II - Infinitely Delayed.. enjoy that Sims game in the meantime
Splash Mountain re-theme to Princess and the Frog - timeline delayed by 8 months
DCA:
Marvel - All still happening, just timeline delayed by 8 months
WoC - New Enhancements are cancelled
Hollywood Backlot Phase 3 - Infinitely Delayed
DLH:
DVC Expansion - still moving forward, just timeline delayed by 8 months
Frontier Tower refurb - Timeline accelerated by 6 months
Paradise Pier:
Refurbishment / re-imagineering delayed, no ETA
MK:
TRON - No changes, timeline delayed by 5 months
Tomorrowland Redo - Infinitely Delayed
Stitch Replacement - Infinitely Delayed
Splash Mountain Redo - The Princess and the Frog theme was rejected by OLC. Since WDW's redo was dependent on this, if the OLC decides an alternate theme is more appropriate, that will be what Florida gets. This project is infinitely delayed.
Epcot:
Guardians - No changes, timeline delayed by 5 months
Poppins - Cancelled
Space Restaurant - Interior 99% Complete, waiting for staffing and approvals, 3rd party
Play - Value Engineered - timeline delayed by 5 months
Event Platform Space and Biergarden - Cancelled, but replacement project in works. No timeline.
Wakanda - Infinitely Delayed, then talked about again recently. Not sure on status now
Brazil - Infinitely Delayed
Coco- Value Engineered, timeline delayed - unknown ETA
Moana - Major changes planned
Mouse Gear - timeline delayed by 4 months
Central Plaza - timeline accelerated by 1 month
Entrance Plaza - LOOK, PYLONS!
SSE - Infinitely Delayed
Ratatouille - No changes, timeline delayed by 8 months
HS:
Galaxy's Edge Interactive Phase II - Infinitely Delayed.. enjoy that Sims game in the meantime
Rapunzel Show - Major changes, Infinitely Delayed
Toy Story Restaurant- Value Engineered, timeline delayed by 8 months
Star Wars Hotel - No changes, timeline delayed by 5 months
AK:
Indy Project - Cancelled
Pandora Expansion - Infinitely Delayed
Planet Watch Reversion to Conservation Station - Infinitely Delayed
Club 33 - 99% complete, waiting for final approvals
Zootopia - NEVER WAS A THING, STOP THINKING IT BELONGS IN AK, IT DOESN'T
Polynesian:
Moana Theme - Value Engineered to be a slight update
Reflections:
Hotel is Cancelled, new project with take its place in the future
Shanghai Disney:
Zootopia - Still moving forward and on-time
Replacement for Tarzan - Infinitely delayed
Toy Story Mania - Infinitely delayed
Tokyo Disney:
Splash Mountain Redo - The Princess and the Frog theme was rejected by OLC. Since WDW's redo was dependent on this, if the OLC decides an alternate theme is more appropriate, that will be what Florida gets. This project is infinitely delayed.
No changes to other projects in Tokyo Disney.
HKDL:
RIP (Half-joking here but... )

Hope that helps. If anyone can confirm or deny anything on this list, or if you just want to talk about what these projects are, PM me.
When you say Hollywood backlot phase 3 do you mean Marvel will fully take it over, or will it be replaced with something entirely different? And is there any other intel on what will be the Hollywood land replacement will be if it is not going to be Marvel?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom