A Sea World question

Nicole

Original Poster
In all our trips to Disney we've never been to Sea World, but this year Anheuser-Busch is offering free military tickets so we are going to go next month. One of my friends suggested the Dine with Shamu meal, but I can't find any information about it except of the official site. Has anyone done this or do you have a suggestion as to where I could get more info? Dinner for me, my husband and 4 y.o. daughter will be $86 so I want to make sure it's something we want to do, also if we'll need a full day at Sea World.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum - I didn't know where else to put it. Really truly I'm going on a Disney trip, this is just a side venture. :)

Lauriebar

Hey Nicole!! My family did Dinner with Shamu last year. It was a great experience! It is a lovely buffet with seafood, pasta, carved meat and lots of desserts. They also have a kids section. The dining area has tables set up around a swimming tank with only a table high iron railing between your table and where the killer whales are swimming by. About half way through your dinner a trainer comes out and starts explaining some whale behaviors and tricks. Then the whales come out and start doing tricks like tail waves and flips right in front of you. They are so close that you will get wet!! It is a great picture taking opportunity as you are even closer to the whales than at the regular shows. It is a once in a lifetime kind of experience and well worth the money!!

m star

If you're looking for something else neat and that is cheaper, we went to the Shark Grill (I think that's what its called) in December. They have really good food, though not as good as Disney, of course, and you're seated by an enormous tank of sharks.

Gail Hayden

Nicole said:
In all our trips to Disney we've never been to Sea World, but this year Anheuser-Busch is offering free military tickets so we are going to go next month. One of my friends suggested the Dine with Shamu meal, but I can't find any information about it except of the official site. Has anyone done this or do you have a suggestion as to where I could get more info? Dinner for me, my husband and 4 y.o. daughter will be $86 so I want to make sure it's something we want to do, also if we'll need a full day at Sea World.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum - I didn't know where else to put it. Really truly I'm going on a Disney trip, this is just a side venture. :)

It is a wonderful experience!!! Dee and I did it and we loved it. We were about 5' from Shamu, we got some GREAT shots.
Yes, you will need a full day at SeaWorld, it is an awesome park. They also give you free beer over by the stables at the restaurant there. Their carrot cake is the best I have ever had anywhere. Also, if you cannot do the Dine with Shamu, try eating at Sharks. Great restaurant, wondeful food and you get a view (full size) of the shark tank.

Gail Hayden

m star said:
If you're looking for something else neat and that is cheaper, we went to the Shark Grill (I think that's what its called) in December. They have really good food, though not as good as Disney, of course, and you're seated by an enormous tank of sharks.

Actually, I thought the food was much better than Disney. :) I LOVE that restaurant.

Number_6

My wife loves Sea World, but the last two times that we went there we didn't get to see Shamu(the first time due to bad timing, the second time due to the birth of a baby Orca). Her birthday is next month so she said that she wants to do the Dine With Shamu thing for her birthday. We have our tickets for it already. Another great thing I can recommend, especially if you are getting free tickets for admission, is the "Adventure Express Tour." The cost tends to vary depending on the season and how busy they expect things to be. It is worth it, though, as you will be given a full tour, taken behind the scenes to be able to pet a penguin, lunch will be provided for you(you'll be given a menu when you check-in for the tour and they will have it ready when your group arrives for lunch), you will have reserved seating at lunch so no having to fight with crowds over finding a seat, front of the line ride access so you don't have to wait over an hour for "Journey to Atlantis" or "Kraken"(your 4 year old won't be tall enough for Kraken, but our guide was willing to keep our kids with her while my wife and I rode it, so there should be no problem) and they also give you food to feed the stingrays, dolphins and sea lions. Add to all that the fact you get reserved seating at the Shamu show and also one other show, depending on showtimes, and it really works out great. I still have my VIP lanyard that they gave me when I went on it because it made a great souvenir. They have information about it on their main website and I think it was the "Educational Services" phone number that I had to call to arrange it. The site will be able to tell you though. Just another alternative to consider. Whatever you decide, enjoy it!! :)

Number_6

Okay, so we experienced "Dine With Shamu" the other day. The food was great and it was so fun to be able to just watch the Orcas as they swam around and played with each other during dinner. From what they said, the maximum number of guests in a seating is 160, sitting at pairs of tables(8 maximum per pair) lining the tank. We got seated at a table that was right next to the tank so we had perfect views of them all. When I load the pictures to my computer, I'll see if I can post a couple of them here.

xfkirsten

Awwww, I can't wait to see them! Were Takara or Kohana in there? They're my little babies... they were here in San Diego up until about a year ago, and I've spent many-an-hour playing with them...

EmeraldDolphin

My daughter & I went to Dine with Shamu last summer when we were in Sea World. She was 15 at the time, and we both loved it! The food was excellent, and we both left there stuffed! She gained some great knowledge, as she is planning on Marine Science as a career. We were just in Sea World last Friday, March 25th 2005.... and Dine with Shamu is booked solid through early April... be sure to make your reservations early! :wave:

Number_6

Since I'm having trouble with linking images from Imagestation right now, I'll add one of my photos as an attatchment here:

Attachments

• DSC01642-1.jpg
    DSC01642-1.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 69

CAPTAIN HOOK

Dine with Shamu is a bit pricey (but what isn't inside the Orlando theme parks). However, for some good food, a quiet relaxed atmoshere and "an in your face up close and personal" Shamu experience I would recommend it to anyone.
Make sure you watch the Shamu show before your meal and finish off your day with Shamu Rocks America. The two shows are completely different and very well done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom