Trip Report A Royal Affair: Oli's First Visit

THE SETUP
Hi folks!

This is my first trip report - although I'm no @Tuvalu , I'm hoping to make this report magical and memorable.

The trip starts officially on May 19th, and ends on May 26th.
So why so early you ask? I'm planning on updating this report throughout the week with LIVE updates, before doing a full fledge report once I return.

During the next few days and weeks, this report will be populated with all the information you're looking for - and so much more.

TO STAY INFORMED
To follow the trip as it unfolds - give me a follow on Instagram: @mlarocque87
To see all the trip pictures [once the trip is finished]: https://flic.kr/s/aHskQ21E2u
To get all the planning details - check out my pre-trip report: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/4th-birthday-at-wdw-why-not.924844/

slipperalwaysfits

Planet Hollywood was better than expected but portions are huge! Émilie had the ribs and they were delicious and tender - I had the Ringer Burger and it was tasty. Oli got the spaghetti and even though it was kid sized - it looked like an adult portion. We were sontuffed that we didn't try the milkshakes - sad because I was looking forward to them...

WOW!! Maybe we'll just go for the milkshakes!! :p

dmatt87

Original Poster
DAY 0 - Travel

Sorry about the delay - I know I promised the first post for last Friday but life got in the way ;)
I sometimes wonder why it takes time before a TR is published and even longer for it to be completed - but now I understand!!! I will never judge a soul about that again.

So like all good stories, let's start with the beginning. I've already covered the Who, Why and When in the beginning of this TR - so let's get down to the nitty gritty.

Our adventure starts on Friday May19th. Emilie and I had decided to work until noon and then get back home to pack our bags.
We had planned all the things we wanted to bring and we were ready to rumble - however, a task that we believed would take us about 30-40 minutes, ended up taking almost 2 hours! We just didn't want to forget anything (and luckily for us we didn't - have had recurring dreams of forgetting our passports for years).

So around 4:30pm, the car was packed and we were ready to hit the road and leave for Montreal.
34163598893_798604e048_z.jpg

Yes we had popcorn to snack on - don't judge:oops:

However, before we could leave for Montreal, we needed to pick up Oli from daycare. We got there around 5pm and he was playing outside - he was quite happy to see both of us, not because he knew we were going to WDW but because I'm usually the one that picks him up, so he's always glad to see mom! We had told him a few days before that we would be leaving for our trip a little more than a week later, to prevent anxiety and excitement on his part.

Once we got to the car, I told him that we were leaving right now for Montreal and that we were headed to WDW the next morning. He was surprised :jawdrop: and so grateful. He litterally jumped into my arms and told me that he was very happy and that he loved me - he was holding me so tight that I didn't want to let go. My eyes were filled with tears but they were tears of joy :cool:

So off we went on the road - listening to the Disney playlist I had curated just for this trip [even though Oli keeps wanting to listen to it since we got back]. The songs were a mix of TV themes, movies and musicals - and my guilty pleasure was the Duck Tales theme.

We had a quick pit stop at Harvey's - a Canadian hamburger chain that let's you customize your burger - kind of like Subway.
34974059985_65d4d82730_z.jpg

We were back on the road for about 40 minutes and then we got to our hotel.

When I booked the room, I wasn't looking for anything in particular but I wanted it to be close to the hotel and offered a gated parking to keep our car for the week. I had seen a lot of hotel but the parking was accessible by anyone, and I had heard about a lot of thefts and didn't feel safe.

So I ended up booking at the Marriot Fairfield Inn - they had a gated parking, 24h shuttle to the airport and 2 queen beds. Price wasn't too bad considering that parking was included for the week - $230 [Park N Fly costs about $85 for the week].

We checked-in pretty quickly and made our way to our room on the 3rd level. We weren't even at Disney yet but we got our first WOW :jawdrop: moment - we opened the door and saw this HUGE room... It had a big living room and then two comfy beds.
34163598443_731bb66b31_z.jpg

34974059355_a10f6e59c2_z.jpg

34586552760_c79285b433_z.jpg

We got settled it, gave Oli a quick bath and went to sleep - it was 9:30 after all and we needed to take the shuttle at 5:20 the next morning.
I have to admit that I didn't go to bed immediately - the Ottawa Senators [my favorite hockey team] were facing off against the Pittsburgh Penguins and I couldn't miss the game! I ended up going to "sleep" around 11pm but I tossed and turned all night. I don't know if it was the excitement or being so close to the airport but it felt like I was waking up every 30 minutes or so.

No matter the amount of sleep I was getting - tommorow was going to be a big but magical day :D

mlegerto

We had a quick pit stop at Harvey's - a Canadian hamburger chain that let's you customize your burger - kind of like Subway.

Yah Harveys! I'm always reading all of these trip reports where people are stopping at these fast food joints that we don't have here in Canada, so this was refreshing to see. I'm from the Toronto area, so Canadian follower over here.

Can't wait to hear more about your trip!

amjt660

Premium Member
Yah Harveys! I'm always reading all of these trip reports where people are stopping at these fast food joints that we don't have here in Canada, so this was refreshing to see. I'm from the Toronto area, so Canadian follower over here.

Can't wait to hear more about your trip!
Shout out for Harveys!!
They make a hamburger a beautiful thing

For the non Canadian crew out there following along Harveys is right up there with Tim Hortons for your typical Canadiana type fast food.

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
DAY 0 - Travel
Once we got to the car, I told him that we were leaving right now for Montreal and that we were headed to WDW the next morning. He was surprised :jawdrop: and so grateful. He litterally jumped into my arms and told me that he was very happy and that he loved me - he was holding me so tight that I didn't want to let go. My eyes were filled with tears but they were tears of joy :cool:

We got settled it, gave Oli a quick bath and went to sleep - it was 9:30 after all and we needed to take the shuttle at 5:20 the next morning.
I have to admit that I didn't go to bed immediately - the Ottawa Senators [my favorite hockey team] were facing off against the Pittsburgh Penguins and I couldn't miss the game! I ended up going to "sleep" around 11pm but I tossed and turned all night. I don't know if it was the excitement or being so close to the airport but it felt like I was waking up every 30 minutes or so.

No matter the amount of sleep I was getting - tommorow was going to be a big but magical day :D

Hey Matt

I love the part about Oli and the big hug.
Isn't great how "manly" men like us can be reduced to a pile of mush purely because of our kids reactions !!!!

And I think the not able to sleep solid was a combo of Disney excitement + airplane noise + different bed/room
But mostly Disney excitement !!!

Max

dmatt87

Original Poster
Hey Matt

I love the part about Oli and the big hug.
Isn't great how "manly" men like us can be reduced to a pile of mush purely because of our kids reactions !!!!

And I think the not able to sleep solid was a combo of Disney excitement + airplane noise + different bed/room
But mostly Disney excitement !!!

Max
A big pile of mush trying to look manly :cool:

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No

We always book early morning flights for our Disney trips and I can NEVER sleep the night before! Even without a good night sleep, our first day at Disney is always a "go all day" kind of day. Who needs sleep at Disney???

PS: As a Flyers fan, I will root for any team that's playing the Penguins, so... Go Predators!!!!

dmatt87

Original Poster
We always book early morning flights for our Disney trips and I can NEVER sleep the night before! Even without a good night sleep, our first day at Disney is always a "go all day" kind of day. Who needs sleep at Disney???

PS: As a Flyers fan, I will root for any team that's playing the Penguins, so... Go Predators!!!!
Sleep is overated - even Oli didn't need the afternoon nap!
And I agree - Go Predators!

amjt660

Premium Member
WOO! Yeah, go preds!!!
Difference here Sherriff is that you actually like Nashville's hockey team
Most of us are rooting for the preds because we do not want the penguins to win back to back

Hey - this approach sounds oddly familiar to an event that took place last November......

Duck and hide

Max

21stamps

DAY 0 - Travel

Sorry about the delay - I know I promised the first post for last Friday but life got in the way ;)
I sometimes wonder why it takes time before a TR is published and even longer for it to be completed - but now I understand!!! I will never judge a soul about that again.

So like all good stories, let's start with the beginning. I've already covered the Who, Why and When in the beginning of this TR - so let's get down to the nitty gritty.

Our adventure starts on Friday May19th. Emilie and I had decided to work until noon and then get back home to pack our bags.
We had planned all the things we wanted to bring and we were ready to rumble - however, a task that we believed would take us about 30-40 minutes, ended up taking almost 2 hours! We just didn't want to forget anything (and luckily for us we didn't - have had recurring dreams of forgetting our passports for years).

So around 4:30pm, the car was packed and we were ready to hit the road and leave for Montreal.
34163598893_798604e048_z.jpg

Yes we had popcorn to snack on - don't judge:oops:

However, before we could leave for Montreal, we needed to pick up Oli from daycare. We got there around 5pm and he was playing outside - he was quite happy to see both of us, not because he knew we were going to WDW but because I'm usually the one that picks him up, so he's always glad to see mom! We had told him a few days before that we would be leaving for our trip a little more than a week later, to prevent anxiety and excitement on his part.

So off we went on the road - listening to the Disney playlist I had curated just for this trip [even though Oli keeps wanting to listen to it since we got back]. The songs were a mix of TV themes, movies and musicals - and my guilty pleasure was the Duck Tales theme.

We were back on the road for about 40 minutes and then we got to our hotel.

When I booked the room, I wasn't looking for anything in particular but I wanted it to be close to the hotel and offered a gated parking to keep our car for the week. I had seen a lot of hotel but the parking was accessible by anyone, and I had heard about a lot of thefts and didn't feel safe.

So I ended up booking at the Marriot Fairfield Inn - they had a gated parking, 24h shuttle to the airport and 2 queen beds. Price wasn't too bad considering that parking was included for the week - $230 [Park N Fly costs about $85 for the week].

We checked-in pretty quickly and made our way to our room on the 3rd level. We weren't even at Disney yet but we got our first WOW :jawdrop: moment - we opened the door and saw this HUGE room... It had a big living room and then two comfy beds.
34163598443_731bb66b31_z.jpg

34974059355_a10f6e59c2_z.jpg

34586552760_c79285b433_z.jpg

I smiled a big smile reading about Oli's reaction! I've been following along in Instagram.. sorry for the notification blow ups ;).. can't wait to read more!

dmatt87

Original Poster
DAY 1 - TRAVEL & MK
The adventure begins

So let's pick-up exactly where we left off!

After a long night of tossing and turning, and waking up every 30 minutes (or so it seemed) - it was time to wake up!!!
Even though we were tired as hell, we were too excited to care - we were going to Disney!

I had set the alarm clock for 4:45 since we needed to be down at the lobby for 5:20 to catch the shuttle to the airport. We should of gotten up 15 minutes earlier - I didn't take into account that we are a little slower at this time of day... Luckily we made it down just in time to get into the shuttle and we left immediately for the airport.

Not even 10 minutes later we were entering the airport to go check-in and drop our baggages (with our DME tags :)). We thought that we would have plenty of time to loiter around the airport, have breakfast and play around on our phones... well as a controversial president would say: "WRONG!" :p

Going through security and customs pre-clearance took forever - almost 45 minutes. And then we were trying to find a place to have breakfast and all we could find was a Tim Hortons... and don't get me wrong I like donuts and breakfast sandwichs as much as the next guy - unfortunately I couldn't get any of those options. All they had was bagels, muffins and croissants - nothing that was going to hold me over until 1pm - and of cours their god-awful coffee! I ended up having a sesame seed bagel with butter and an orange juice - it wasn't memorable. Oh I forgot to mention, we waited 25 minutes in line for this mandatory meal.

Once we finished eating, we did a quick pit stop in order to skip going to the bathroom in the airplane - I'm not a big fan of flying and I always take Gravol before boarding - wish I didn't have motion sickness and Oli's innocence of not knowing the "dangers" of flying!

At 7:40 sharp we were making our way to the tarmac - and 5 minutes later we were going up into the sky.
34933693016_33c4881884_z.jpg

It was a good flight and we even shaved 20 minutes on the planned itinerary. Oli loved flying and see the clouds from above - he was fascinated.
34586552370_30d695aa54_z.jpg

34933692916_4e0ea2f9ba_z.jpg

We landed at MCO around 11:00. We were sitting about mid-plane so got off fairly quickly (no pun intended:cool:). Luckily we didn't have to go to baggage claim to pick-up our bags - this allowed to sprint to the DME check-in. It was far... not 2 minutes away far... More like take the train from your terminal to the next, make your way to the escalator, then to the next escalator to get to the first floor, and then walked for, what seemed, 5 miles to get to the DME check-in - where we were met with 6 long lines :eek:. And all the lines seemed stuck because of some "special" person couldn't get his **** together and have either his Magicband or DME letter ready :mad:. We ended up changing lines 4 times to finally getting to a clerk - and it litteraly took us 30 seconds to scan our letter and join line 9... the only line that seemed to have people. We finally boarded the bus after waiting for about 10 minutes - even though we were about the 20th person to board the bus, we got prime seats :D
34974055905_a55edf0555_z.jpg

We got first row!!!! I was so glad to see the Welcome to Disney sign up front - even if there was a big eyesore :(
34586549920_f461976734_z.jpg

We were very pumped to get to the resort and then explore MK! Unfortunately I had forgotten that the ride was long - particularly when you have a slow driver, and when you need to stop at 3 other resorts. We stopped at Saratoga for 6 guests, then Key West for 4 guests, French Quarter for about 15 guests and finally Riverside for about 30 guests!

While on the bus I got an email from Disney telling me that my room was ready and giving me our room number :D (still had to check-in to get the Magic Bands). But then I took a closer look at the email, and I was a little disapointed... :( I had requested Building 90 - Oak Manor, with a 2nd level room and preferably a corner room. We (or should I say I) had wanted to be close to the main building and bus stops, and we were far from all that. I get that requests are just that, but COME ON give a guy a break - we had gotten a 1st level room in building 91 (Parterre Place) completely at the far right of the building - in the back...but with a corner room :hilarious:. Maybe it was because we had initially booked at CBR and had gotten a Royal Room at POR with only a $130 bump in price...

I had a new mission when we got at the resort. Not only was I getting our bands, but I was gonna try to seduce (negotiate) a CM to something a little more up my alley.

When we arrived, our plan was clear - and since we were right in the front we had an advantage! As soon as the door opened, I dashed out of the bus towards registration while Emilie and Oli waited to grab our carry-on luggage from the bus. This allowed me to cut folks from our bus, only to arrive in registration to see a VERY long line...

What happened next? How long did I wait? Did we get a better room? Did we finally get lunch? Did we finally leave to visit MK and make our first FP? Find out tomorrow :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom