A return trip after a few years away

zurgandfriend

Original Poster
Hello All,

I was a long-time WDW visitor and contributor to this website. The last time I posted here, however, was in 2020 when I said that I would like to make another trip when the world gets back to some degree of normal. In the past three years our family has battled the three “C’s.” COVID, my DS finishing college in the time of COVID, and my DW battling cancer. Also, in that time I acquired a pair of new knees and battled COVID.

I have been just about totally “unplugged” from Disney for the past 3 years but now we want to make what maybe our last family trip to Orlando. We always liked to stay in a Deluxe resort, preferably on the monorail but with “rack-rate” what they are I believe that is out of the question. The only moderate we ever stayed in was “Dixie Landing,” which tells you how long it’s been. I am not sure we even want to stay on the property, as DW and DS would also like to visit Universal and do some other local site-seeing. I have heard them mention airboats rides and Cape Canaveral.

I am in the process of doing my homework online, but I thought I would also reach out and ask some basic questions and also ask overall what’s changed?

If staying off property and we wanted a “nice” senior friendly resort/hotel does anyone have any suggestions? Also, is there a resort that has shuttle service to and from the airport and the theme parks? That would be very helpful.

Is Universal any less expensive? Possible stay there and Uber around as needed?

Can you get a reservation for a table service/signature dining restaurant if not staying on property?

If staying on property what moderate or value resort would you recommend for 3 adults?

I know the Disney Magical Express is gone, did anything replace it or are you on your own as to transportation to and from WDW? I heard Mears has something but not sure how it works.

As to the general “overall what’s changed” is the magic still there? I have heard that they have cut a lot of the things that made WDW so magical.

Thank you all in advance.

MickeyLuv'r

Hello All,

I was a long-time WDW visitor and contributor to this website. The last time I posted here, however, was in 2020 when I said that I would like to make another trip when the world gets back to some degree of normal. In the past three years our family has battled the three “C’s.” COVID, my DS finishing college in the time of COVID, and my DW battling cancer. Also, in that time I acquired a pair of new knees and battled COVID.
Toa large extent, you will have to do your own homework on preferences. For a start, I'm not quite sure what a 'senior' hotel is, because tastes are so varied from person to person.
Yes, there are shuttle services. In short, they have pros and cons. The free/notel shuttles offered, are in most cases, very limited. nowadays, you often have to pay a fee, and then you are very limited in when you can come/go from the hotel. They will only pick up form airport at certain hours of the day, etc.

Orlando does offer buses, and the costs is low, but again, it would probably cost quite a bit of time. nowadays, I think many folks use ride share, but we prefer a rental car.

2. Regarding Universal, it depends. They have very nice hotels. The price points vary. Compared to comparable dinsey hotels they still cost less, but that is not saying much these days. Off season prices are probably a good bet if your dates are flexible.

3. Yes ,you can dine anywhere if you are offsite. Onsite guests get slightly earlier access. the most popular places will get booked up if you are offsite, but most f the dining places will be available to you. that said WDW table service dining has gotten very expensive, and the food quality is not what it once was. We only eat maybe one TS per visit these days. For a time, we used to eat one TS meal each day. On the bright side, some of the quick serve options are better than what WDW used to offer. Though again, it depends on what you like.

4. You might really like the newest option: Grand Destino Tower at Coronado Springs. It has a Spanish theme, but it is part of the existing Cornado Springs resort. Caribbean Beach is now popular with the addition of the Skyliner transportation option.

5. Kinda on your own. there is a Mears option, but I do not have any experience with it.

6. That is hard to answer. I'd tend to say yes, but you need to temper your expectations. Expecting high prices is one. another is that WDW has become more monetized. One of the pluses, perhaps, is the new rides, but it depends how much they appeal to you. Do read about Boarding Groups and Genie plus.

Another possible option to consider is the Swan and/or the Swan Reserve. For those look on Marriott website. The Swan Reserve is very new and has a bit of an adult vibe. In high season itis $$$, but in slower seasons it is not too bad. I think that is one shocker you'll find. Holiday weeks are crazy $$$. Even the Disney value hotels costs over $200/night. But in summer, you might get a AAA or (if you qualify) senior discount that makes the Marriott properties more reasonable. September 9-10Swan Reserve is $289 with AAA rate.

An offsite area that is new that I like is Flamingo Crossing. Marriott and Hilton both have hotels over that way. It is not fancy, and you would kinda need a car, but rates are reasonable, and there are a number of inexpensive dining options open or soon to open in that plaza. Plus a small Target and a Walgreens. If you really do not want to get a car, on WDW and on Universal property are probably your best bet. Also Cape Canaveral is over an hour from WDW, and that's if there is no traffic back-up. There might be a way to go via shuttle bus, but most people would want to have a car to go there. By the time you pay for shuttles, you could rent a car for far less. Getting around within Universal is easy, especially if you stay at Royal Pacific, Portofino, or Sapphire Falls. Hard Rock is even easier, but it is a loud hotel. Universal is more walkable, has shuttle boats, and buses. At WDW, we drive, at Universal we use the free transportation or walk if we are staying at one of the hotels I listed. The prices are a little crazy this year though.

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

Google maps will give you information for public transit options with price, and even the Disney world buses within WDW. Where driving takes about 25min (no traffic), a public bus will only cost $4, but will take you over 2 hours each way.

the following is from a reputable website, not my personal information, so I can't vouch for accuracy, but I have used this website for many years:

Mear shuttle is supposedly $32 round trip per person.

Towncar services offer transportation service to Port Canaveral, where Disney Cruise leaves from- which is not quite the Kennedy Space Center (15 min away)- for $60 per person round trip. It would be worth calling to see about visiting the Space Center. Port Canaveral is where the Disney Cruise ships sail from, so the price might not be too far off that.

A Prepaid private service (will be an SUV) supposedly costs $200 (for up to 4 people), or $300 for 5 people (minivan)- those are round trip prices, though I think added gratuity is normal. There are also larger options for bigger groups.

Classic taxi is supposedly about $70 (not counting gratuity) each way from MCO to WDW. I'm not sure about ride share options and pricing. MCO to Universal is about half that price.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would give one piece of advise…though it’s not a glowing recommendation:

Plan on buying/using the genie paid options

You’ll get a lot of “I NEVER use it…” talk. But that usually is from a different frame of reference.

Your goal in planning should be to minimize aggravation….because Bob has lead it all right to that spot. It is what it is now

Ayla

Google maps will give you information for public transit options with price, and even the Disney world buses within WDW. Where driving takes about 25min (no traffic), a public bus will only cost $4, but will take you over 2 hours each way.

the following is from a reputable website, not my personal information, so I can't vouch for accuracy, but I have used this website for many years:

Mear shuttle is supposedly $32 round trip per person.

Towncar services offer transportation service to Port Canaveral, where Disney Cruise leaves from- which is not quite the Kennedy Space Center (15 min away)- for $60 per person round trip. It would be worth calling to see about visiting the Space Center. Port Canaveral is where the Disney Cruise ships sail from, so the price might not be too far off that.

A Prepaid private service (will be an SUV) supposedly costs $200 (for up to 4 people), or $300 for 5 people (minivan)- those are round trip prices, though I think added gratuity is normal. There are also larger options for bigger groups.

Classic taxi is supposedly about $70 (not counting gratuity) each way from MCO to WDW. I'm not sure about ride share options and pricing. MCO to Universal is about half that price.
Sunshine Flyer is also an option between MCO and WDW.

hsisthebest

There are many offsite resorts that are a short trip into the parks. I would recommend renting a car as many hotel/resort shuttle services are only offered at certain times or only drop-off/pickup at the TTC. A phone with GPS makes it easy to navigate Disney property. We stayed at the Caribe Royale in 2018, it was great and has since been renovated. It's sister resort "Buena Vista Suites" has 1 bedroom suites with a free breakfast. It is less than 5 min. from Disney property and faster than the Disney buses if you have a car- just turn right out of the parking lot and follow the signs. Universal is about 20-25 minutes away. Here is my review from when my family of 6 stayed as well as some tips for staying offsite: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/caribe-royale-review.944566/

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Coronado Springs is the moderate that's most like a Deluxe. Blame it on the convention traffic.

LeighM

I'm sorry to hear about your wife. I can't answer questions about Universal and transportation but I can suggest Coronado Springs Resort, if you still wanted to stay on property. I've been there during the cheerleading competitions and they are usually placed in the Ranchos section. I've made requests to be placed in a more quiet section away from the teen groups and it had always been honored. I haven't been able to stay in the new Destino Tower, but it would be a great place for adults to stay. The regular rooms at CSR are some of the best since the updates but the layout of the Tower is slightly more upscale and geared towards couples or solo travels with how the bathroom has been redesigned. Coronado is also the cheapest of the moderate resorts because it only has bus transportation to the parks and DS but the rooms are MUCH nicer than any of the others. Coronado also has the most food options from the other moderates because of it being a convention resort. I don't know whether the first park bus stop is now at Destino Tower or in the Casitas section (I haven't stayed there since Destino opened but it used to be Casitas, Ranchos, Cabanas) but request a room close to the first resort bus stop so you can always have a seat on the bus. And, if your wife requires use of a wheelchair or scooter during your trip, it will be easy for you to be guaranteed a spot on the first bus. If you think you'll need a DAS pass for the parks, research the procedures for that as it has changed within the last few years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom