A Pinocchio ride of some kind in the Speedway area

mharrington

Original Poster
As you may or may not know, I've had a lot of ideas for a Pinocchio ride in the Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland. I've had various ideas, some grandiose (e.g., a more elaborate version of Disneyland's Pinocchio ride, a roller coaster themed to Pleasure Island and Monstro, a mild water thrill ride (from Mack) themed to the escape from Monstro) and some fairly simple (e.g., a water-based spinner (a Mack Twist 'n' Splash), a swing ride (possibly like what was planned for DCA before going with Silly Symphony Swings), a balloon ride like Flik's Flyers/Inside Out Emotional Whirl). I even thought of redoing the Mad Tea Party as Geppetto's workshop (maybe paint cans instead of teacups?). Often, I was considering the simpler ride concepts and even the mild water thrill ride because they all would be put in the same location: the Speedway (shown in light blue), whose footprint is large, but not that large:
speedway space.jpg

It must be remembered that any large attraction (even the mild water thrill ride) will require backstage areas. In the water ride's case, it will also require pumps. And let's also not forget the ride's proximity to Tomorrowland. Not only is there the PeopleMover track, but also Cosmic Ray's next door. On the other hand, however, a single spinner ride would be seen as a waste of space. Also, I don't want to sacrifice the Village Haus over by Small World, either.

What do you think could be done with this space in terms of a Pinocchio ride in this space while taking Tomorrowland and the Village Haus into account?

Disney Warrior

I’d say that maybe a different IP, like Alice in Wonderland could fit here. Maybe split up the land for both Fantasyland and Tomorrowland like what Ideal Buildout did in his Parallel Magic Kingdom?

The Aracuan Bird

I have long considered a Pinocchio attraction in that space. I’ve also considered Alice, with a Pinocchio Pleasure Island coaster on the other side of the Circus (which needs revitalization).

J4546

i say keep speedway, make an entire mermaid lagoon area where the circus tents are, with tunnel under railroad to access tritons kingdom. Youd have to relocate the mermaid attraction, and it its place you could expand 7dwarves or use that area for a pinochio darkride expansion, because aesthitcaly it would fit in i think. a lot better than the current mermaid area at least

ph yeah i moved barnstormer as well, it would be rethemed to mermaid land as well of course.

Attachments

• mk1.jpg
    mk1.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 106

mharrington

Original Poster
i say keep speedway, make an entire mermaid lagoon area where the circus tents are, with tunnel under railroad to access tritons kingdom. Youd have to relocate the mermaid attraction, and it its place you could expand 7dwarves or use that area for a pinochio darkride expansion, because aesthitcaly it would fit in i think. a lot better than the current mermaid area at least

ph yeah i moved barnstormer as well, it would be rethemed to mermaid land as well of course.
Unfortunately, that looks way too fanciful and unrealistic to work. I'm trying to keep things realistic here, which is why I've gone into the technical side of things instead of just pure blue sky.

The concept for the mildly thrilling boat ride is based on a new concept from Mack, which involves a spinning boat:

Even with the ability to make tight turns, there would still need to be some room for the backstage area needed to power the ride, not to mention the attraction building and queue space, which would be based around the escape from Monstro, who would be depicted in this ride like in Storybook Land, but in reverse, with boats going out of his mouth rather than in. The water thrill ride would need a big footprint, but as big as the Speedway's footprint is, I don't think it has the space. And let's not forget, the special effects would require constant attention, if Splash Mountain is an indication.

The alternative, which looks more doable, at least in terms of physical space, is another water concept from Mack, this one a spinning ride with interactive elements, which looks something like this:

The only problem is I have no idea how to bring the "Pinocchio escapes Monstro" concept into this ride concept. What are your thoughts?

wazowski_216

How would a spinning ride like in the video above be able to work with a "Pinocchio escapes Monstro" theme?
You could put Monstro in the center and put riders in the paint cans that circle around him, or do the Alien Swirling Saucers and attach it to the vehicle itself

mharrington

Original Poster
You could put Monstro in the center and put riders in the paint cans that circle around him, or do the Alien Swirling Saucers and attach it to the vehicle itself

I thought about the whip ride concept (Alien Saucers), but I have never seen more than one such rides on any property. I think the reason why is that it would be cannibalizing the concept if they did use it across more than one park.

mharrington

Original Poster
As a test, I put in a Mack water ride into the Speedway spot and I discovered just how compact the ride is compared to the Speedway:
pinocchio boat ride concept rough.jpg

Mind you, it's a different ride technology (the ride I put in is an interactive water ride called Whale Adventures - Northern Lights, located at Europa Park in Germany), but it's still from Mack Rides. It will be the new Rocking Boat concept they unveiled early last year before the pandemic hit. Maybe the space will work well after all. It certainly takes up far less space than the Speedway, it seems.

Here's the same image again, but this time with another Mack boat ride (this one being Kapt'n Nicks Piratenschlacht from Legoland Deutschland):
pinocchio boat ride concept rough 2.jpg

Anyway, my point is, any Mack boat ride would surely take up less space than the Speedway. The need for maintenance notwithstanding, it certainly looks doable in this spot.

What do you think?

MickeyMouse10

What I would do is the following.....

Fantasyland - Alice in Wonderland (in the northern part of the Speedway), Sleeping Beauty (Fairytale Hall), Pinocchio (next to Village Haus)
Tomorrowland - Stitch, Wall-E and The Incredibles (all instead of the rest of the Speedway)

Last edited:

mharrington

Original Poster
What I would do is the following.....

Fantasyland - Alice in Wonderland (behind Cheshire Cafe), Sleeping Beauty (Fairytale Hall), Pinocchio (next to V. Haus)
Tomorrowland - Stitch, Wall-E and The Incredibles (all instead of the Speedway)

Unfortunately, there is no room for a Pinocchio ride over by the Village Haus without scrapping Small World, and that's not happening, which is why I thought of doing a Monstro theme out on the edge of Fantasyland.

Also, while I did not think of it, it was considered to do a Pinocchio ride in Storybook Circus. I'm not sure how it would fit over there, though, since it's a European story in the middle of a Midwestern American circus.

mharrington

Original Poster
What about a trackless Alice in Wonderland dark ride since there’s a Beauty and the Beast restaurant making it impossible to bring a clone of Enchanted Tale of Beauty and the Beast to WDW.

I'm sorry, but I'm not doing a trackless dark ride, Alice or otherwise.

MickeyMouse10

Unfortunately, there is no room for a Pinocchio ride over by the Village Haus without scrapping Small World, and that's not happening, which is why I thought of doing a Monstro theme out on the edge of Fantasyland.

Also, while I did not think of it, it was considered to do a Pinocchio ride in Storybook Circus. I'm not sure how it would fit over there, though, since it's a European story in the middle of a Midwestern American circus.

I think you could just demo the Pinocchio restrooms. There's plenty of space there and behind it to add in an attraction.

mharrington

Original Poster
I think you could just demo the Pinocchio restrooms. There's plenty of space there and behind it to add in an attraction.

First of all, restrooms are not big enough, and second, what Pinocchio restrooms? Unlike many here, I like to try to fit my blue sky ideas to the space available, rather than just focus on pure blue sky.

Last edited:

MickeyMouse10

The entrance to the utilidors is right back there, so it won't work. Besides, I l like to try and fit my blue sky ideas to physical spaces, rather than focus purely on blue sky.

I disagree and don't see it as just purely blue sky. Because there's plenty of space for an attraction behind the restrooms.

fl 2.png

Last edited:

mharrington

Original Poster
I disagree and don't see it as just purely blue sky. Because there's plenty of space for an attraction behind the restrooms.

View attachment 596673

The only thing that MAY fit back there is a simple swing ride like Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind, but even it requires some backstage technology and a decent-sized footprint. But if you look at the map provided, if you look at the turnaround in the back, it's the entrance to the all-important utilidors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom