Trip Report A Not-So-Scary, Very Merry and Universal Vacation

Hello everyone, and welcome to my long-overdue trip report! I'll start off by introducing myself and family:

Left to Right - Me, Dad, Mom, Maddie
20141104_123219.jpg

On this trip, we stayed at the Coronado Springs Resort from October 31-November 9, which allowed us to enjoy both MNSSHP and MVMCP, as well as the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival and Osborne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights. We took advantage of the free dining plan offer, so also expect some brief reviews and pictures of all the table service restaurants we dined at.

Itinerary:
Oct 31 - Hollywood Studios / Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party
Nov 1 - Universal
Nov 2 - Kennedy Space Center / Downtown Disney
Nov 3 - Universal
Nov 4 - Animal Kingdom / Magic Kingdom
Nov 5 - WDW Speedway / Hollywood Studios / Epcot
Nov 6 - Epcot
Nov 7 - Magic Kingdom & Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party
Nov 8 - Hollywood Studios / Magic Kingdom
Nov 9 - Epcot

This is my first trip report, so it might not be perfect, but I hope you'll all enjoy following along!

samosaurus

Original Poster
Alright, time for dinner at Yak & Yeti Restaurant.
IMG_0545.jpg

Mom and I opted for Crisp Honey Chicken - Tempura chicken, broccoli, carrots, honey sauce and choice of jasmine or brown rice (we each had the brown rice). As expected, the honey sauce made the chicken sweet, while the vegetables added a bit of freshness. The rice was, well, rice.
IMG_0548.jpg

Dad and Maddie had the Baby Back Ribs - Slow-roasted pork ribs, hoisin BBQ sauce, chicken fried rice, sweet chili slaw. Dad thought it was okay.
IMG_0549.jpg

Dessert was easily the highlight of the meal. Maddie went with New York Cheesecake - New York style cheesecake, mango and strawberry coulis, whipped topping, which was just your typical cheesecake.
IMG_0553.jpg

Mom ordered Fried Wontons - Skewers of fresh pineapple and cream cheese wontons, vanilla ice cream, honey-vanilla drizzle. Mom said the wontons were "light and delicious!"
IMG_0554.jpg

And finally, I've saved the best for last: Mango Pie - Shortbread cookie crust, whipped topping, raspberry sauce, which Dad and I each had. It was SO GOOD! If you like light, tropical, fruity, delicious flavors, then you must try this pie!
IMG_0552.jpg

For the most part, Yak & Yeti serves up entrees that can be found at your average Asian restaurant. There isn't anything particularly special about it, other than the desserts, which, aside from the cheesecake, were far above average. Ultimately, Yak & Yeti might not be your best option for dinner at WDW, although I'd say it's worth a stop just for dessert.

amjt660

Premium Member
OK I have to ask a question (but it is rhetorical so do not feel the need to answer)

How old are you?!?!?

This is an extremely well written, organized, entertaining and informative trip report

Keep up the great work!

blreinsel

OK I have to ask a question (but it is rhetorical so do not feel the need to answer)

How old are you?!?!?

This is an extremely well written, organized, entertaining and informative trip report

Keep up the great work!

^^^ I thought the same thing when I started reading. :)

samosaurus

Original Poster

How old are you?!?!?

Keep up the great work!

Agreed, well written trip report. :)

^^^ I thought the same thing when I started reading. :)

Let's just say I'm mature for my age. Mom says I have an old soul. Your comments mean so much to me! Thank you!

I'd also like to thank you, as well as @FlaggNL , @mrdrift , @Hawkeyegirl , @Missymoe4 , @Kaznagan ,@joshsprincess921 , @Disney Coco , @party like it's 99 , @HouCuseChickie , @Rach&Eric , and everyone else following along for reading! I'm glad you're enjoy the trip report so far! :)

samosaurus

Original Poster
When we left Yak & Yeti, the park would only be open for another half hour. Maddie and I took advantage of this time to ride Expedition Everest with no wait. In fact, we were able to hop on five times in a row!
IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

By the time we left, the sun had gone down, and I must say, that made me more excited for the upcoming Animal Kingdom updates. The Park really seems to take on new life at night. It's quite beautiful!
20141104_182444.jpg

IMG_0582.jpg

IMG_0583.jpg

To conclude day 5, we wandered around Magic Kingdom for awhile, looking at the Christmas decor and getting a few rides in.
IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

Passing through Tomorrowland, I was a bit disappointed that the Metrophone wasn't working. Anyone happen to know if it's been working again recently?
IMG_0605.jpg

IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

minnie2000

Great report! I like the photos from the new Harry Potter attractions.

I agree your report is very well written, and it's interesting to read a family trip report from the perspective of one of the daughters, rather than one of the parents!

samosaurus

Original Poster
Wow, it's been awhile since I last added to the trip report, what with the end of the school year and various summer activities keeping me busy. Sorry to keep you waiting! Anyway, where were we? Oh, yeah:

Day 6
We once again started the day with breakfast at Pepper Market before Dad's 3-lap ride-along at the Walt Disney World Speedway. He suited up with a fireproof suit and helmet, and shortly thereafter was in the car.
Racecar.JPG

Dad in racecar.JPG

Racecar 2.JPG

The entire experience only took about 30 minutes, but Dad seemed to really enjoy it and sported a big smile (and major hat-head) afterward.

The Speedway shuttle took us back to Coronado Springs, where we spent the afternoon exploring the resort and relaxing by the pool. Then, we headed to Hollywood Studios, where we were greeted by Max Goof, which was a nice surprise, since I'd never seen him in the Parks before.
Max Goof.JPG

samosaurus

Original Poster
Our early dinner ADR brought us to "where Italy meets California in the heart of the Backlot,” Mama Melrose's Ristorante Italiano. If you are on the dining plan, keep in mind that the Fantasmic! dining package is included as 1 table service credit. If you book this package, your meal will also include tickets for reserved seating at Fantasmic! for that evening.
IMG_0655.JPG

IMG_0654.JPG

Once inside, we waited only a couple of minutes to be seated. During this time I happened to notice a certain someone rather out of place:
IMG_0638.JPG

There, above the restrooms, stood Olaf in a tiny gondola. Why? I simply do not know.

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0639.JPG

IMG_0651.JPG

Something of note: unlike most restaurants on the dining plan, our meal here included an appetizer in addition to an entree and dessert. This may have been because we booked the Fantasmic! dining package, but I don't know for sure.

Maddie and I each had a simple Caesar salad.
IMG_0642.JPG

Mom ordered fresh mozzarella and vine-ripened tomatoes, which she liked, but I did not.
IMG_0644.JPG

Dad chose the crispy calamari with dipping sauces, which was pretty good I think, although I'd never had calamari before, so I have nothing to compare it to.
IMG_0643.JPG

samosaurus

Original Poster
For my entree, I went for the Oven-Baked Chicken alla Parmigiana - Breaded Chicken Breast with Marinara Sauce topped with Melted Mozzarella over Spaghetti. This was okay, but nothing special, and I wasn't compelled to finish it.
IMG_0645.JPG

Maddie ordered the least-adventurous dish on the menu: spaghetti and meatballs, which was just your typical spaghetti and meatballs.
IMG_0646.JPG

Mom had Penne alla Vodka with Chicken - with Pancetta and Sweet Onions finished with Tomato-Basil Sauce, Cream, Vodka, and Pecorino Romano. She thought this tasted good, although, as you can see, the presentation probably could've been a bit better.
IMG_0647.JPG

Dad opted for the Saltimbocca - Pork Tenderloin topped with Prosciutto, Sage, Fontina Cheese, Tuscan Mashed Potatoes, Broccolini, and Lemon Caper Sauce. He didn't have any complaints with the dish, although he didn't seem overly impressed either.
IMG_0648.JPG

To end the meal, our server insisted on bringing us a dessert sampler to share. This consisted of small portions of chocolate cheesecake, chocolate mousse tart, two mini cream puffs, and two panna cottas-one topped with mango and one topped with blueberry. I was very disappointed with this, and would much rather have had a cannoli or gelato than a small bite of each miniature dessert. If I had been given the dessert menu, I would have definitely chosen something other than the dessert sampler. Unfortunately, I was not given the option.
Anyway, the cheesecake, mousse, and cream puff were okay. The panna cotta, however, was just awful, and frankly, was like sour, solidified yogurt. The sweet, fruity sauce on top was not enough to save it.
IMG_0649.JPG

I'm sad to say that Mama Melrose's was the most lackluster Disney dining experience that I can remember. The food was average, dessert disappointing, and service seemed rushed despite the restaurant being nearly empty. I've read mixed reviews of this place, so the experience here might be hit-or-miss. Based just on this meal, I can't recommend it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom