Trip Report A New Hope, A New Day *COMPLETED*

That’s not a Star Wars reference.

Longtime readers of my trip reports know Star Wars isn’t my thing (although I immensely enjoy Rise of the Resistance.)

Fireworks are my thing. 💥 Like a moth to a flame, I am instinctively drawn to bursts of brilliant sparkles and colors in the sky. Just ask my family how quickly I’ve stopped whatever I’m doing to find the source of nighttime booms! I have serious fireworks FOMO.

Disney fireworks....especially Magic Kingdom fireworks....always flood me with nostalgia, happy memories and hope. After a long pandemic year, I know I am not alone in my yearning for hope of better days ahead.

Every step we take
Brings a new hope
A new day

The return of Disney fireworks, for me, is a sign that things are improving. Hooray!!

But there won’t be any pyro on my upcoming trip. And that’s ok. This vacation was booked with the assumption there would be no nighttime entertainment. (However when rumors began to suggest fireworks in July…..well let’s just say there might be another reservation in MDE for us.)

Who’s us?

877B7809-2BB7-4CEE-A5F3-9DB3FA569FE9.jpeg

Mother/daughter travel buddies, Tuvalu and Em. We last visited together in early April. We were there the day the mask mandate was dropped for stationary pictures.

Today the mask mandate for all those vaccinated has been suspended and we couldn’t be happier! We won’t have to be shrouded in a daft disguise again this summer! 😉

I am not planning to do a full live report but may post a daily update. I’ll fill in the details when our vacation is over.

T-minus 3 days.
June 19 - 26, 2021
Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

Will any other Magicians make an appearance? Stay tuned.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Day One, con’t

When Em and I left Les Halles we were a little surprised to discover there had been no rain, though skies were still cloudy. Thunder had ceased as well.

We were ready to return to Pop as we were tired from our day of travel. Our goal had been to complete World Showcase….which we did….and save Future World for another time.

One of the reasons we had chosen Pop was for the Skyliner convenience when visiting Epcot. You can imagine our frustration as we approached the International Gateway and saw this:

A620A165-CA99-457D-9305-1A552B507370.jpeg

UGGHHHH!!!

This is just wrong. I understand it is not safe to operate the Skyliner under certain conditions, but requiring guests to walk to the FRONT of the park (to the furthest bus gates, I might add) for transportation is NOT magical. At all. There should be a bus depot adjacent to the Skyliner station. (Oh wait, there was….in the 1990s!:banghead: )

Annoyed, we started the trek through Future World. It began to sprinkle. I popped open my umbrella. When we passed the Seas pavilion I turned to Em and said, “I don’t want to find Nemo!”

“Me either,” she grinned.

B7C89768-EFE9-4703-8574-29411A011DC3.jpeg

Our moods improved when we saw a luxury motor coach waiting for us at the gate.

We boarded and I was immediately perplexed by an object on the back of the seats.

3CDE2F1D-2DD6-4B9E-BC0E-70F5F9E9F32C.jpeg

Opening it did not solve the mystery.

AF0998A6-283E-4888-B8A3-64F0F1970127.jpeg

It was not a USB port. If it weren’t for a woman across the aisle, we never would have figured it out. She had placed a soft drink bottle in it.

It was a (working) cup holder.

The ones in front of us were broken cup holders.

The More You Know. 😁

We made our way to Building 9 in the 80s section when the bus dropped us off at Pop.

08FF723C-EAE5-4E66-8EBD-C59C4BA96DA7.jpeg

The pool we would not be using. I believe we swam here on our first visit in 2004.

544771C9-9750-4763-944F-34142A862D7E.jpeg

Woody owned this exact Sony Walkman. Albeit a much smaller one!

1A8F23E9-FBAA-4265-B308-8EBD4CE00969.jpeg

View from our room. We were in a quiet location.

D2C3B5F0-3F0B-43AD-97A9-E544CE5A07D7.jpeg

Redundant room pics for @Nunu. I’m sure her room looked the same!

ACDA7765-2252-47C0-8164-BC75A22C5D36.jpeg

25B0A53D-3B5E-4B57-BCD4-D17143F873E5.jpeg

I’ve said before that I like the practical features of this room and the beds are very comfortable. It wasn’t long before Em and I were in them, watching the Opening Ceremony for the Tokyo Olympics.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday, July 24 ~ Day Two

We awoke early and hungry. I pulled up the menu for the food court. Em and I aren’t big breakfast eaters on vacation and are satisfied with a pastry or muffin. We’d brought some breakfast items from home, but when we saw that double chocolate chip muffins were featured on mobile order we caved.

I offered to do pick up while Em made herself coffee in the room.

Everything Pop was a hybrid food court, rather than mobile order & pick up only. One of the five food stations was open for counter ordering.

C6668A8B-02AD-47FF-96EE-50620CE4606C.jpeg

The other stations were closed off to guests and used for mobile orders, the way resort quick service places have operated since last summer.

79E21F75-E1C9-4115-AE8E-ED137FAFD9A7.jpeg

It was interesting to see lines at the cashiers again.

07C957EF-5310-4622-9957-FA698F3986FF.jpeg

I grabbed our sealed to-go bag and returned to the room. I expected to find house-made double chocolate chip muffins inside, in the protective plastic containers used for muffins and cupcakes.

Apparently my expectations were unrealistic. Inside the bag were two of these ~

CAA7D8BC-0F5F-4179-AC1E-F0A2BB0305B9.jpeg

5A7A48F9-4E44-44EC-86FE-7898F6F03E49.jpeg

Prepackaged regular chocolate chip muffins??!!?

Another food disappointment. At least they weren’t stale.

About an hour later Em and I ventured back to the food court, this time for a happy reason.

We had an extended chick chat session with @Nunu!

164D8EB7-F85D-4B54-84C4-85CD396A3FF3.jpeg

Oh what a grand time we had! It came to an end only because Em and I had to pack up and vacate our room before eviction.

Until next time, my friend! Bring Frank along, will ya? 😉

2FE24D23-C167-418B-AF11-F1388812F24D.jpeg

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Day One, con’t

When Em and I left Les Halles we were a little surprised to discover there had been no rain, though skies were still cloudy. Thunder had ceased as well.

We were ready to return to Pop as we were tired from our day of travel. Our goal had been to complete World Showcase….which we did….and save Future World for another time.

One of the reasons we had chosen Pop was for the Skyliner convenience when visiting Epcot. You can imagine our frustration as we approached the International Gateway and saw this:

View attachment 578762

UGGHHHH!!!

This is just wrong. I understand it is not safe to operate the Skyliner under certain conditions, but requiring guests to walk to the FRONT of the park (to the furthest bus gates, I might add) for transportation is NOT magical. At all. There should be a bus depot adjacent to the Skyliner station. (Oh wait, there was….in the 1990s!:banghead: )

Annoyed, we started the trek through Future World. It began to sprinkle. I popped open my umbrella. When we passed the Seas pavilion I turned to Em and said, “I don’t want to find Nemo!”

“Me either,” she grinned.

View attachment 578761

Our moods improved when we saw a luxury motor coach waiting for us at the gate.

We boarded and I was immediately perplexed by an object on the back of the seats.

View attachment 578760

Opening it did not solve the mystery.

View attachment 578759

It was not a USB port. If it weren’t for a woman across the aisle, we never would have figured it out. She had placed a soft drink bottle in it.

It was a (working) cup holder.

The ones in front of us were broken cup holders.

The More You Know. 😁

We made our way to Building 9 in the 80s section when the bus dropped us off at Pop.

View attachment 578755

The pool we would not be using. I believe we swam here on our first visit in 2004.

View attachment 578753

Woody owned this exact Sony Walkman. Albeit a much smaller one!

View attachment 578754

View from our room. We were in a quiet location.

View attachment 578756

Redundant room pics for @Nunu. I’m sure her room looked the same!

View attachment 578758

View attachment 578757

I’ve said before that I like the practical features of this room and the beds are very comfortable. It wasn’t long before Em and I were in them, watching the Opening Ceremony for the Tokyo Olympics.
Room pics are always appreciated! 😀

Yes, my room looked the same, but we were a 'decade' away from each other! 😄

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Saturday, July 24 ~ Day Two

We awoke early and hungry. I pulled up the menu for the food court. Em and I aren’t big breakfast eaters on vacation and are satisfied with a pastry or muffin. We’d brought some breakfast items from home, but when we saw that double chocolate chip muffins were featured on mobile order we caved.

I offered to do pick up while Em made herself coffee in the room.

Everything Pop was a hybrid food court, rather than mobile order & pick up only. One of the five food stations was open for counter ordering.

View attachment 578816

The other stations were closed off to guests and used for mobile orders, the way resort quick service places have operated since last summer.

View attachment 578817

It was interesting to see lines at the cashiers again.

View attachment 578815

I grabbed our sealed to-go bag and returned to the room. I expected to find house-made double chocolate chip muffins inside, in the protective plastic containers used for muffins and cupcakes.

Apparently my expectations were unrealistic. Inside the bag were two of these ~

View attachment 578819

View attachment 578818

Prepackaged regular chocolate chip muffins??!!?

Another food disappointment. At least they weren’t stale.

About an hour later Em and I ventured back to the food court, this time for a happy reason.

We had an extended chick chat session with @Nunu!

View attachment 578820

Oh what a grand time we had! It came to an end only because Em and I had to pack up and vacate our room before eviction.

Until next time, my friend! Bring Frank along, will ya? 😉

View attachment 578821
I know you know, that I'm NOT a morning person, haha!, but leave it to you to have me smiling that "early" in the morning, and before coffee, nonetheless! :joyfull:

I had a wonderful time chatting and laughing with you and Em. Frank and I look forward to our next get-together, hopefully, soon! 😊

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Day Two, con’t

I received our room number text while en route to resort #2. Boo ya!!

To recap, I booked us a five night stay when rumors began to swirl that fireworks would be returning in July. Em and I were ecstatic when Happily Ever After returned on July 1!

Then two days before our departure we were crushed to learn that HEA will be permanently retired on September 29.

SAY IT ISN’T SO!!!!!!

I could write a long vent about this decision but instead I will just say that Em and I were incredibly thankful to have this opportunity to say farewell to our favorite fireworks show.

As we turned onto the resort grounds I did not “take the picture that I always take” but that was only because I was driving! ;)

When I made the reservation, my only option at the Wilderness Lodge was a standard view king room. There was no availability for any other room type and there was no discount. But WL is where we like to stay so we prepared ourselves for sharing a bed and a not-so-good view.

And after our first night Em declared, “I would always book a king room from now on!”

With only one bed, the room felt much more spacious than the room we had with two queens.

432E8320-161E-4519-860A-65A5747388ED.jpeg

Our room had a desk which we found useful. Em liked the mirror placement over the desk rather than over the table (its location in the queen room.)

E6DFD3AF-4845-4E8D-9254-A7C2CBE65FD1.jpeg

There was a chair with an ottoman. Unfortunately we found this chair too deep/elongated for our comfort.

35BF8258-5688-4E07-9742-EAF95D0F23FB.jpeg

There was the same stacked table but with only one chair. (The queen room had two.) This chair was also too deep for our liking, promoting Em to say, “The refurbed rooms are great, but it’s a swing and a miss on the chairs.”

7072FEA1-0E26-4E8A-ACE7-8BB8D63034F2.jpeg

(Confidential to @Captain Barbossa ~ No Country Bears print in this room either, but it did have Paul Bunyan!)

Plenty of space for two luggage racks between the dresser and kitchenette. Had this been a connecting room, a door would have been here.

A1300D0E-F883-4714-9CCE-F2058527CF8A.jpeg

I made sure to look in the closet and you were right, @Loco_driver. It was a clothes steamer, not an iron!

1D7CECFC-0FB2-4006-9748-DC375F31EDF6.jpeg

No clock, but no worries @MinnieM123. I brought my own!

EC01BDE8-EAC0-46F8-B3E8-3D25F1CBAE17.jpeg

The vanity area was exactly the same. We set the geode to the dimmest setting!

51453D69-1D5B-4259-8D2C-BD965B83BC73.jpeg

Our favorite feature was the stall shower. No tub with doors!

51F799A9-70F5-43ED-AAC2-CADEBEA38815.jpeg

Happily, we had no issues with the a/c. It remained at the set temperature and never kicked off during the night!

How was the view?

Not too shabby!

464513A4-EFBA-48A5-A002-F80E30291322.jpeg

A drawback to this room was its proximity to the loading dock. This is true for all standard view rooms on the lodge (non-DVC) side. Light sleepers may be awakened by after-hours deliveries. Be forewarned.

Last edited:

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Day Two, con’t

To recap, I booked us a five night stay when rumors began to swirl that fireworks would be returning in July. Em and I were ecstatic when Happily Ever After returned on July 1!

Then two days before our departure we were crushed to learn that HEA will be permanently retired on September 29.

SAY IT ISN’T SO!!!!!!

I could write a long vent about this decision but instead I will just say that Em and I were incredibly thankful to have this opportunity to say farewell to our favorite fireworks show.

As we turned onto the resort grounds I did not “take the picture that I always take” but that was only because I was driving! ;)

When I made the reservation, my only option at the Wilderness Lodge was a standard view king room. There was no availability for any other room type and there was no discount. But WL is where we like to stay so we prepared ourselves for sharing a bed and a not-so-good view.

And after our first night Em declared, “I would always book a king room from now on!”

With only one bed, the room felt much more spacious than the room we had with two queens.

View attachment 579280

Our room had a desk which we found useful. Em liked the mirror placement over the desk rather than over the table (its location in the queen room.)

View attachment 579281

There was a chair with an ottoman. Unfortunately we found this chair too deep/elongated for our comfort.

View attachment 579282

There was the same stacked table but with only one chair. (The queen room had two.) This chair was also too deep for our liking, promoting Em to say, “The refurbed rooms are great, but it’s a swing and a miss on the chairs.”

View attachment 579283
(Confidential to @Captain Barbossa ~ No Country Bears print in this room either, but it did have Paul Bunyan!)

Plenty of space for two luggage racks between the dresser and kitchenette. Had this been a connecting room, a door would have been here.

View attachment 579284

I made sure to look in the closet and you were right, @Loco_driver. It was a clothes steamer, not an iron!

View attachment 579289

View attachment 579288

View attachment 579286

View attachment 579285

How was the view?

Not too shabby!

View attachment 579287

A drawback to this room was its proximity to the loading dock. This is true for all standard view rooms on the lodge (non-DVC) side. Light sleepers may be awakened by after-hours deliveries. Be forewarned.
One of the times I stayed at WL, I had also booked a standard view room. Was about 2 floors above the loading dock. Didn't have any issues with night deliveries (unless I just slept through them all), but I did notice that they'd have some very early morning deliveries -- like around 5 or 6 AM. One morning it woke me up, but not any of the other 3 mornings. (Still, I didn't book a standard view after that.)

P.S.: That's a snazzy alarm clock you brought -- colorful LED display. (I have a similar clock at home with a light green display.)

93boomer

Premium Member
Day Two, con’t

SAY IT ISN’T SO!!!!!!

View attachment 579280

View attachment 579281

View attachment 579282

View attachment 579283

View attachment 579284

View attachment 579289

View attachment 579288

View attachment 579286

View attachment 579285

Happily, we had no issues with the a/c. It remained at the set temperature and never kicked off during the night!

How was the view?

Not too shabby!

View attachment 579287

Love those showers! So much better to get in and out of. I always get the king rooms.😉

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Em and I had two goals for this vacation.

1. Watch HEA as many nights as possible
2. Lots of pool time (hopefully with sunshine!)

Today’s forecast had only a slight chance of precipitation. The pool was calling us.

41537600-6F20-4B3D-9B8D-2360115266A1.jpeg

Saturday, 11 am. I’m sure the parks were crowded, but the pool sure wasn’t!

C0A93546-6CBF-4457-A728-D2930DF7475E.jpeg

706E4F27-253E-4FD5-8E6D-C71CBB19F495.jpeg

Em had a new book. I knew someone might be curious, so I snapped a picture of it.

D4ADCF21-AA31-46FD-BCB8-EA794B72A4E0.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
There was a mix of sun and clouds for the first hour ~ even a very brief (less than a minute) rain shower.

But we had no complaints. We were relaxing and it was glorious!

I placed a mobile order for lunch at Geyser Point. When I walked over to get it I had a wildlife encounter.

042B3447-3C58-4AF8-8D16-CCA76EAC554A.jpeg

15EC5494-B663-4238-A645-0E9BB044D214.jpeg

Not of the holiday kind.

1628803261229.jpeg

Ewwww. These things move FAST.

474C4D0B-3E1D-4884-B3A4-022EADF23A76.jpeg

Lunch was a disappointment. I had specifically requested no sauce on my turkey sammie.

501C7869-5371-4E57-9305-852131388BF7.jpeg

With no one to complain to I had to make do. Sweet Em offered to swap with me (can’t recall what she had) but I declined. At least one of us should eat something we wanted!

The sun came out warm and strong. Life was good again.

B18A3EF7-C073-44D2-BC47-E68A4AC1F995.jpeg

Loco_driver

Season 6 Knowledge GIF by Friends

Light sleepers may be awakened by after-hours deliveries. Be forewarned.
I vividly remember being awakened at 6 AM every morning by the food delivery truck and the smell of the smoker throughout the day from our last stay on that side.
Ewwww. These things move FAST.
Oh man I really can’t stand those things. We have them everywhere at our place. They will absolutely destroy your lawn too! Fun fact, they will jump straight up
in the air when they are startled!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
By late afternoon we were on a boat to MK.

DB58A0A9-10B8-49E5-8DBE-0CDC7291CD70.jpeg

We entered Town Square just as the flag retreat ceremony was beginning. The inclusion of a veteran to honor in this solemn event has been reinstated after having been paused due to the pandemic.

The Dapper Dans emceed and led the crowd in song. As always it was a moving experience and brought tears to our eyes.

E9EFBE93-92D7-45DE-9C01-632563C2ADE6.jpeg

FDAC8490-C5C4-4120-BBE2-30E97DA11A21.jpeg

AEDC92E3-AE0C-4FD0-8F8B-640E24309DCA.jpeg

74B8C11B-B020-443D-975A-D6A402464363.jpeg

71ED827D-B431-40F2-8526-E2174B988DA0.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom