News A new Encanto character meet and greet is planned for Magic Kingdom

brb1006

I was more speaking about releases in the past few years that I'm familiar with, like the Marvel characters at Avengers Campus, and other M&G's throughout the parks that have coincided with movie releases. Its then up to the Parks to choose to keep and pay for those characters within the parks.
Well that's an interesting concept, just wish they handled it like they did back in the day.

mm52200

Back in the day it used to be common for the studio marketing budget to pay for a meet and greet when the film was released as promo. Then when the promo was done the park already had the costume paid for and in their possession and they could decide whether to continue the offering or not atleast.
Now the most the studio seems to pay for is a photopass magic shot. Then the parks drag their feet on coughing up budget for the new characters.

drew81

Disneyland Leaders:
“Let’s put out characters people really want to see. New characters draw interest. We should also have rares and other special ones at our Disneyland After Dark parties. Our special events should be unique.”

WDW Leaders:
“Ugh! New characters suck! Can we use what we’ve used for the last 20 years? And we’re keeping character dining the same. Utilizing special characters for our stale hard tickets causes lines and we can’t sell those on Genie+. We’re not putting out any villains so don’t ask!

And can someone shut up those morons going on and on about Epic Universe? Our TDO team has to keep their inflated arrogance of their own importance! Shut those WDWMagic people up! We added more Disney After Hours parties! What else do they want?”

Kamikaze

Marvel pays for those. Most if not all new M&Gs that coincide with a movie/show release are paid for by the Studio. That’s why the characters don’t stick around
They just did a 'Marvel night' at DCA where they pulled out every character with the exception of two.
I very much doubt that 'Marvel pays for those' is the reason they happen and other movies don't.
Mirabel has been doing a M&G at Disneyland for a year now.
Its money related - but its not 'the studios' that are the holdup.

brb1006

Disneyland Leaders:
“Let’s put out characters people really want to see. New characters draw interest. We should also have rares and other special ones at our Disneyland After Dark parties. Our special events should be unique.”

WDW Leaders:
“Ugh! New characters suck! Can we use what we’ve used for the last 20 years? And we’re keeping character dining the same. Utilizing special characters for our stale hard tickets causes lines and we can’t sell those on Genie+. We’re not putting out any villains so don’t ask!

And can someone shut up those morons going on and on about Epic Universe? Our TDO team has to keep their inflated arrogance of their own importance! Shut those WDWMagic people up! We added more Disney After Hours parties! What else do they want?”
I miss when WDW used to have a better variety of Disney Characters both old and new compared to nowadays. I remember when Pinocchio and Geppetto used to be very common alongside the Robin Hood Characters and The Three Little Pigs Characters at the resort. These days, WDW prefers focusing more on Pixar, characters from The Disney Renaissance, Disney Princess, The Sensational Six, and some of their recent animated hits (Frozen and Moana) over their older and classic characters.

I still have a camcorder recording from my first visit to WDW during July 2004 where both Pinocchio and Geppetto were hanging out near Cinderella Castle. Same with the other older Disney Characters at the time.

Last edited:

drew81

I heard someone speak “WDWMagic” from their lips, when reporting this “news today”.

Kind of shocked to say the least.

brb1006

Lion King, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Robin Hood, etc. Now they would barely make one for a deuteragonist
Don't forget the second characters and minor characters. Still waiting for Maid Marian's return someday alongside Flower.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom